Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Living & Working in the Pollensa Area (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/)
-   -   Getting our dog to PP (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/3581-getting-our-dog-pp.html)

Tonsyl 27-07-2008 12:56

Getting our dog to PP

We are planning to spend six or more months at a time in PP from sometime next year and want to bring our dog. Has anyone any experience of driving down with pets and if so what are the problems as far as the travel is concerned.(We know about the pet passport side of things) Any views would be appreciated.

eleanor 23-07-2009 19:17

Hi there, i have just read your message and wondered if you actually went ahead with bringing your dog over. I too have a dog and would like to bring him with me when we come for long periods of time. Just wondered how it went and any advise?

Tonsyl 23-07-2009 19:41

Hi Eleanor

Unfortunately, we didn't make it with the dog this year, due to the recession, we didn't buy the property we were looking at and, the dog got quite ill just after I had posted the question and she was unable to have the rabies injections needed for the pet passport. The latter is going ahead later this year, now she is stabilised and we will be out for long periods with her in 2010........fingers crossed.
The last time we were in PP, in May, we got talking to Mr. Barnard senior (Barnard Hamilton) at his office on the front and he has taken his dog back and forth several times. He gave us a number of tips about the ferries etc and I'm sure he would be only too pleased to talk to you on the subject.

eleanor 23-07-2009 20:07

Thank you very much for your reply. I'm so pleased your dog is now on the mend.
I will be looking into this much more. Our neighbours have a dog which they bring back and forth. I understand from them that the French/Spanish are much more forthcoming with dog travel and on the ferry the dog can travel with you as rather than being left in the car on the car level of the ship. I also understand that it is better for the dog to travel through the tunnel from England to France.
If I learn anything helpful, I will let you know.
Regards, Eleanor

Tonsyl 23-07-2009 20:15

Thanks Eleanor, I think you are right in that the French / Spanish are far more "dog friendly" than are our transport companies. I'd appreciate any more info in due course, many thanks for the offer.

eleanor 23-07-2009 20:22

No problem Tonsyl. Do hope your dog continues to improve. Will be in touch with further news.
regards,
Eleanor

med777 24-07-2009 00:20

Hiya Tonsyl & Eleanor,

Can I put my name down for doggie duty ? :)

I miss my animals when I'm over and tend to hijack anything that wags it tail (including the gardener's cat... he must know it's me cos when I arrive his cat moves in with me :o )

need to get my canine/feline fixes when ever/where ever !

Miriam

eleanor 24-07-2009 11:25

You certainly can, Miriam. My little golden cocker is like the lady from lady and the tramp! And more human than some humans!!! My baby!

I hear yek coming through my computer!!!

med777 24-07-2009 23:48

Hiya Eleanor

Im sorted !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Im out end of August for 10 days...so if she is about then, let the little 'lady' know she mite have some extra company !

Miriam

Tonsyl 25-07-2009 17:13

Dog walking in PP

Miriam,

You will be very welcome to walk our Katie. However, a word of caution, she is a very boisterous and friendly Alsatian with lots of energy. You will not need to go to the gym with her about! As and when we get her to PP, we'll let you know, in the meantime, you don't do dog sitting in Yorkshire do you?

eleanor 25-07-2009 17:43

Hi Miriam,

Glad you are now sorted! Ditto Tonsyl but Southend on Sea????

Not as nice as PP but we do have a wonderful seawall to wall along!

eleanor 25-07-2009 17:44

Sorry - should have said WALK along!!

henrypartridge 04-01-2011 22:50

Another dog ferry query

I'm in the same position, coming in November and deperately keen to hear from someone who has ACTUALLY taken their dog on the ferry to Mallorca. surely someone has? All advice hugely appreciated.

Deanscroft 05-01-2011 18:22

Pets on Ferry

Quote:

Originally Posted by henrypartridge (Post 53132)
I'm in the same position, coming in November and deperately keen to hear from someone who has ACTUALLY taken their dog on the ferry to Mallorca. surely someone has? All advice hugely appreciated.

We brought two cats with us on the fast ferry from Barcelona to Palma. We were told that they must either stay in the car or be put into the cages at the end of the car deck where it was very noisy, smelly and dark. Luckily we were able to pursuade a member of the crew to let us carry the crate up to the lounge so they could be with us. I think they would have been terrified if we had left them. As soon as the ferry started to move all the car alarms went off!

bevgt 05-01-2011 23:41

How long does the fast ferry take from Barcelona