Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Living & Working in the Pollensa Area (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/)
-   -   Bed shops? (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/2942-bed-shops.html)

pollensa 29-03-2008 11:44

Bed shops?

Hi,

does anyone know of any shops with a good selection of beds/mattresses? We're happy to travel to Manacor, Inca etc. so long as we have an idea of where we're going but we'd like somewhere with a good selection. There are so many near us in the UK but they don't seem so obvious in Mallorca.

& we will need delivery & disposal of the old one.

Thanks.

debz1 29-03-2008 14:58

Zelda we bought a very good mattress and base at a shop in Pollensa..memory foam, really comfortable, very reasonably priced...and brilliant service ,they delivered it the same day!!

But.. I don't know the name of the shop :confused: Sorry! Its very near the second square by the underground car park so I'm sure you'd find it easily.

Debs

pollensa 29-03-2008 15:25

Thanks very much - sounds just what we need. Our current mattress is appalling (but it was there when we bought the apartment in 2001!) & now my parents want to use the apartment I feel I need to sort it out soon!:eek:

Sharonh 29-03-2008 17:38

Zelda

As Debz says there are a number of shops in Pollensa. There is also a furniture shop in Alcudia heading out to Puerto Alcudia just past the supermarket. It looks very small from the outside but is like a maze inside. From memory they had a good selection.

We didn't purchase there - for no reason other than we ended up in Manacor and bought everything in Inter Mobel. Another good shop with branches in both Manacor and Inca is Expo Mobles.

I think everywhere delivers - I am less sure about the taking away old though.

James 30-03-2008 15:49

I bought a couple of carpentered single beds from the furniture shop in the Port last May but, for mattresses, I would recommend Al Campo as they have a selection of mattresses and they will deliver.

[Peculiar... the board seems to think this is my first ever post!]

Smiddy 31-03-2008 14:44

Buying beds

We bought some in the port about 10 years ago, don't think the shops there now, wonderful matresses, we always look forward to our visits as our PP bed is far more comfortable than the one we have at home Usually the other way round.

pollensa 31-03-2008 17:01

Thanks for all the advice. We'll see how we get on.

Meanwhile I think the Spanish for mattress is 'colchon' & amazingly, I found:

http://www.forocolchon.com/colchon.png

http://www.forocolchon.com/
- the mattress forum! & we thought we were sad.

Still it should give all the vocab! ;)

debz1 31-03-2008 18:17

LOL! Sad it may be but buying a new bed or mattress is a difficult business :confused:

I'm with Smiddy(well obviously not with him :o!!) our new PP bed is much more comfortable than our one at home...or is it just the wine ;)

pops 31-03-2008 22:58

Lol @ Debz.

There is a fantastic shop opened on the old road through Inca. Has the most amazing choice of beds, day beds, sofa beds and single chair beds. Really trendy and very reasonable.

Pops

PeRu 31-03-2008 23:48

Hi Pollensa,
That is the funniest thing I've read today. It has brightened up an otherwise fairly cheerless eveing!!

Re Beds,
We bought mattresses from the shop mentioned before in Pto. Alcudia. We went to their shop near the roundabout in Alcudia, where we chose them. They came from the shop in Pto. Alcudia.
The man in the shop in Alcudia has no English but we managed to communicate successfully. They have a good selection and are very reasonably priced.

PeRu

pollensa 01-04-2008 13:14

Hi,

re these shops in Alcudia & Pto Alcudia, can anyone give me more precise directions & maybe even the name of the shop - as they sound a possibility.

Does the one in Pto. Alcudia have a bigger selection?

Thanks. :)

Mariquita 01-04-2008 13:44

We got our matress from Al Campo as there is a good range of sizes and prices and you can try them all out if you don't mind wriggling around on the beds in full view of all the other Al Campo shoppers.

Delivery was free and arrived on time!

pollensa 01-04-2008 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mariquita (Post 19251)
We got our matress from Al Campo as there is a good range of sizes and prices and you can try them all out if you don't mind wriggling around on the beds in full view of all the other Al Campo shoppers.

Delivery was free and arrived on time!

Thanks Mariquita.

Do they take old ones away as well?

Sharonh 01-04-2008 21:46

Zelda

The shop I referred to is on the main road out of Alcudia heading toward Puerto Alcudia (but still in Alcudia). It is a few hundred yards from the Mercadonia Supermarket heading towards Puerto Alcudia on the same side of the road as the supermarket. There is another furniture shop facing it - which we didn't visit. I don't know the name but I am sure you could find it from these directions. As I said in my original post it looks small from the outside but is large once inside.

Sharon

PeRu 02-04-2008 00:23

Hi Pollensa,

The shop I'm talking about is about 100 metres from the roundabout as you approach Alcudia from PP on the beach road. Turn toowards Alcudia amd it is on the left after the motorbike shop. It's on the corner and usually has chairs etc. outside.
As Sharon says, their main shop is in Avda Pollentia in Alcudia opposite the school.
Hope this is a bit clearer.

PeRu

debz1 02-04-2008 19:22

Have just checked with chels 'cos I couldn't remember but the guys who delivered our lovely comfy new bed took the old one away free of charge!

El Gordo 02-04-2008 21:19

IKEA and BoB the BeD

Hola

We got our Double in IKEA. Bought an additional "topper" as well. Best bed Ive slept in. Only problem is the size is unusual, between a double and a King, 140cm. But its 200cm long where some are only190cm. Comfy but makes getting fitted sheets difficult. They charge for delivery.

Also, BoB the Bed is in Son Bugadeles outlet centre in Santa Ponsa. You see his van often in PP and I think he advertises in the Talk of the North.

gary 03-04-2008 17:19

mattress

hi zelda

hope i can help on this one (my job).

there are various things to watch out for when purchasing a mattress. obviously size does matter (pardon the pun); continental sized mattresses do differ from the uk as there standard double sized mattress is 140 x 200 as opposed to uk 138 x 190 and their king size mattress generally measures 160 x 200 as opposed to uk 150 x 200. this wont make a difference if you are buying a complete bed, but if you are replacing a mattress only, measure the inside dimensions of the bed frame and select the correct size accordingly. (also remember your current bed linen size - if you use fitted sheets, u.k. sized bed linen wont fit continental mattresses)
as to the type of mattress, whilst memory foam mattresses seem to be extremely popular, there is a downside to them, especially in solid foam, (excessive heat/sweat), my advice would be to select a pocket sprung mattress (min 1400 springs in 150cm size) with memory foam as a filling, the springs will act like an accordian and assist with air circulation to control heat. however you can choose pocket springing with cotton as a filling as this provide a cooler nights sleep.

hope this helps

regards

gary

gary 03-04-2008 18:30

mattress

hi

sorry forgot to add the following link which should be of use to you.

http://www.mallorcaweb.com/directory...ation/showAll/

regards

gary

pollensa 03-04-2008 19:07

Wow - thanks Gary for all that info.

Re the bed & size - the current bed is a pretty basic pine slatted one & it appears to be king size but I won't know until we go back out and measure it. We were hoping to just change the mattress so I think the key thing is to get one the same size as the current.

Your info on type of mattress & which is coolest is very useful. They key thing now will be to find all the correct terms in Spanish! :confused:

El Gordo 03-04-2008 20:21

Spanish terms for home owners!!

Ive found an excellent book to help for those of us old enough who learnt french at school instead of spanish!!

"Teach Yourself" series "buying a home in spain"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/p...250069&sr=11-1

Its avaiable for £0.01 + £2.75 postage !!

We found it very useful, its got sections on house maintenance and furniture.

pollensa 03-04-2008 22:27

Well from the Mattress Forum's glossary, I have found:

Muelle Ensacado
Muelles independientes alienados entre sí, embolsados en sacos de tela que evitan el roce entre ellos.

Pocket Springs - don't you think?

pollensa 06-06-2008 09:13

Hi all,

there was a post on this thread a while back re Spanish bed sizes. My son has now measured our mattress (in advance of our coming out next week to buy) & says it is 160 x 195 (poss 200) but looking at some Spanish sites they are only quoting widths of 150 cm. I've looked at El Corte Ingles & http://www.artmobel.com/tienda_muebl...ebles0748.html which I think may be the Alcudia place mentioned.

Looking at the IKEA website in the UK they appear to do 160 x 200 so I wonder if we will have to go there - the original bed was already in the apartment & could well be from IKEA.

If anyone happens to be in PP at the moment & has a Spanish King Size bed, could you possible measure it & let me know what it measures? Sounds crazy I know but we are only coming out for 3 days so the more I know in advance the better!

Thanks very much. :)

debz1 06-06-2008 21:41

Hi pollensa

We have a king size bed bought last year from a shop in Pollensa . I've just text my son to ask him to measure it, as he's at the apartment at the moment.

His reply could take a while........!

Debs

pollensa 06-06-2008 22:09

Thanks very much Deb.

Having discussed this with my husband & looking at the web site for what I think is the Alcudia shop, I think that they appear to sell ones of several lengths including 200 cm & up to 150 cm wide - so we may go ahead & get one slightly smaller than the base. If we have to go to IKEA I can't imagine that they'll deliver that quickly or take away the old one (& the short cut is now blocked off so we'll probably get lost!)

& we now realise why our sheets are always a tight fit!

Do post if you hear from your son. Mine is going home tomorrow night or rather very early Sunday morning with BA.

gpm 07-06-2008 08:49

hi, we bought our beds in a shop in inca across from the big shop called expo mobles. They had all kinds including king size and delivered the next day.
gpm

gary 07-06-2008 14:17

hi

all "european" standard sizes should be readily available in the shops. the proper king size measurements should be 160cm wide x 200cm long, click on link below. it is also possible to buy your bed linen in uk ikea stores as there bed linen will be to suit "european" sizes.

as per my earlier post regarding beds - its worth mentioning that if you do decide on a visco/memory foam mattress (as oppossed to a sprung interior one), that these can be purchased in the uk, vacuum packed for easier transportation. i dont think that it would cost too much to transport and i think it would be worthwhile comparing prices etc.

Manufacturer of beds and mattresses. Shops in Palma, Manacor, Sant Lluís and Eivissa.

http://www.somycol.es/pdf/col_oriente.pdf

hope this helps

regards

gary

debz1 08-06-2008 01:12

Hi pollensa

Finally got text from my son with the bed measurement ....160cm wide x 200cm long. The shop is near the 'other ' square in Pollensa near the underground car park..sorry can't remember the name of it!!

Excellent service , same day delivery and they took the old bed away for a small charge.

Sweet dreams!!

Debs

pollensa 08-06-2008 20:45

Thanks Gary for that sheet - it looks as if mattresses of 160cm are actually 2 mattresses zipped together so it'll be interesting to see if we actually can get a 'complete' 160cm one (apart from Ikea).

But as Debz appears to have one (thanks Debz), we'll definitely look at the Pollensa shop too - this is going to be a very busy short break - only out next Thu-Sun!

Will let you know how I get on. :D

whaleywanderer 09-06-2008 10:03

Just a thought Pollensa - Company's that make their own mattresses would normally do a made to measure service but not sure if there are any near to PP. We got our mattresses from Ikea, they have a good choice of qualities and prices and they seem to be well made. Only problem is they charged €57 for delivery, it was worth it for us as we had a lot of furniture delivered at the same time.
Hope this helps.

pollensa 20-06-2008 08:32

Herw's a final update on how we got on (on a very packed weekend break!). After much thought we had decided that although our base, which is probably on its last legs literally, is 160 x 200 as the standard in both the UK & Mallorca for a King Size is 150 wide & our current sheets are much too tight, we'd look for a 150 x 200 & buy a narrower base in the future - & it makes the bedroom bigger!

We arrived Thursday afternoon & stopped at Alcampo but all mattresses there are length 190. We then went to Alcudia & I now think that maybe some of you were talking about different shops. If you go down the road with Mercadona on your left (towards Pto Alcudia) there is one shop just after it Meubles Mestre, then 2-3 doors down another one with several mattresses outside & then if you take the next left street there is one called Pollentia opposite a car park - this one also has a branch that you see as you come in to Alcudia from the coast road - often with chairs outside. In hindsight maybe we should have gone in there.

Anyway, we chose Meubles Mestre, which is long & thin & gives no indication that it even sells beds - but I'd seen them on their website. We asked & were taken upstairs. For some reason we had forgotten our decision & told the girl our bed was 160 x 200. She showed us a really comfortable one with pocket springs & said it was 160 x 200. Great we said. Can you deliver it? They could but didn't want to remove the old one as businesses get charged. Private individuals can call the council & they get collected free from the street one day a week so we asked if we could pay the charge.

This was at around 4.30 pm.

At just after 8pm the owner arrived with the mattress but no assistant so we had to carry it upstairs. It was also pretty filthy as it had no plastic cover. We paid 25 Eur for him to take our old one which was pretty flimsy as you could fold it in half!

We were relieved & pleased with ourselves that we'd got it sorted so quickly. But then I noticed the gap on each side of the mattress. So we measured it... & Yes it was 150 x 200!

So we were rather miffed that we'd paid for a larger mattress but we really couldn't be bothered to complain. And in the end it was what we'd wanted & it really is very comfortable. :)

gary 20-06-2008 12:20

hi pollensa

im glad you finally got sorted. theres nothing like a comfortables night sleep.
im sure all the research was worth it in the end.

ps remember if your mattress is "turnable" to rotate it regularly (all 4 directions - side to side, top to bottom) this will ensure that there is "even" settlement of fillings and will ensure that your mattress retains its shape much better.

may you have many happy zzzzzzzzzzz's

regards

gary

Belladonna 22-11-2009 20:27

Over a year since this thread finished and having found it I willbe printing out a lot of the last 3 pages for info for next week.
However, if anyone has anything to update or info on what to avoid, we would be very grateful.:)

pollensa 22-11-2009 22:56

Well here's the sequel.

Although we thought it was comfortable, after a while it didn't feel right. We also got fed up with the gap (the mattress was too small for the base) & I kept banging my shins on the posts on our wooden slatted base.

Se we had another go a few weeks ago & decided to go for one similar to what we have in the UK i.e. a divan with drawers (useful when you need storage space for bed-linen etc. & personal bits when friends/family use our apartment) plus matching mattress and we went to Bob the Bed in Santa Ponsa. They sell Kozeesleep (see KozeeSleep - Sleeping Perfection so we had an idea of what they stocked. They do cost a lot more than in the UK but we had no intention of getting one shipped out so we just accepted the high price.

The bed was delivered last week (it had to be ordered with 4 drawers) but our management company took delivery for us so we won't get to try it until the New Year.

Anyway Bob the Bed is in a large warehouse in an industrial estate outside Santa Ponsa. Hope that helps - it really depends on what you're looking for.;)

Belladonna 22-11-2009 23:08

Thats very interesting. Hubby seems to remember seeing an advert in the Mallorcan paper for him too. Will definately check out the link and see what is on offer. I do like the thought of the divan draws.

pollensa 22-11-2009 23:10

Forgot to post link for Bob the Bed - see http://www.bobthebed.com/ Have a Good Trip! :)

alcanadakid 23-11-2009 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belladonna (Post 37214)
Over a year since this thread finished and having found it I willbe printing out a lot of the last 3 pages for info for next week.
However, if anyone has anything to update or info on what to avoid, we would be very grateful.:)

We bought all our beds in Manacor at Miguel Sureda which is on the Porto Cristo road out of Manacor on a roundabout. As I recall it had 5 floors, 3 of which was devoted to beds and bedroom furniture. After Expo it must be the next biggest shops in Manacor. We ended up buying most of our furniture there. Belladona- if you are thinking of eating at Jardin then this would be your style!

Belladonna 01-12-2009 10:46

We were out there and back home before I read that advice ak!
However, we did go to Inca, and firstly looked in at DescanShop, opposite Expo, which is almost totally beds. Most of them were the type which have the lift up mattress for storage underneath. Im not a great lover of these for a few reasons,including that Im not too happy having no room under a bed for cleaning or putting suitcases under if necessary, and these type of beds can only take a headboard that is free standing and pushed up between the bed and the wall. But they did look ok and even though the lady there spoke no English what so ever, we did manage to work out that it would take 2 to 3 weeks for delivery from order date.
We then went across the road - taking our lives in our hands, or feet, - to Expo Mobles. I like browsing round here anyway and knowing they were not really "into" beds in particular, fully expected to be going back to DescanShop in January to place the order.
However, whilst looking at a cabinet for the liviing room (I'm fickle) Laura came up and probably asked if she could help us! I mumbled somethiing about Gracia, busca - or something that I hoped she would be able to translate as I was just looking, then she broke into perfect English sayiing that there were a few beds around but she also had brochures that she would show us when we had finished looking.
About half an hour later - and there were a few beds, but not of the type that we were looking for - we went back down stairs where she had the brochures ready.
We looked through and with her help found a bed, base, matress and two side tables in the style which suited our needs. She was very helpful in explaining the reasons of seperate bed and base, and also that spring matresses were better when the apartment is nearer the coast than inland, being able to breath more.
The price was better than buying the storage bed across the road which was also a bonus.
Hubby intends to go back iin January to order it all and suit out a delivery date for easter.
So far so good, will now leave Hubby to dismantle bed in January in preparation!