Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-06-2008, 08:32
Founder

Herw's a final update on how we got on (on a very packed weekend break!). After much thought we had decided that although our base, which is probably on its last legs literally, is 160 x 200 as the standard in both the UK & Mallorca for a King Size is 150 wide & our current sheets are much too tight, we'd look for a 150 x 200 & buy a narrower base in the future - & it makes the bedroom bigger!

We arrived Thursday afternoon & stopped at Alcampo but all mattresses there are length 190. We then went to Alcudia & I now think that maybe some of you were talking about different shops. If you go down the road with Mercadona on your left (towards Pto Alcudia) there is one shop just after it Meubles Mestre, then 2-3 doors down another one with several mattresses outside & then if you take the next left street there is one called Pollentia opposite a car park - this one also has a branch that you see as you come in to Alcudia from the coast road - often with chairs outside. In hindsight maybe we should have gone in there.

Anyway, we chose Meubles Mestre, which is long & thin & gives no indication that it even sells beds - but I'd seen them on their website. We asked & were taken upstairs. For some reason we had forgotten our decision & told the girl our bed was 160 x 200. She showed us a really comfortable one with pocket springs & said it was 160 x 200. Great we said. Can you deliver it? They could but didn't want to remove the old one as businesses get charged. Private individuals can call the council & they get collected free from the street one day a week so we asked if we could pay the charge.

This was at around 4.30 pm.

At just after 8pm the owner arrived with the mattress but no assistant so we had to carry it upstairs. It was also pretty filthy as it had no plastic cover. We paid 25 Eur for him to take our old one which was pretty flimsy as you could fold it in half!

We were relieved & pleased with ourselves that we'd got it sorted so quickly. But then I noticed the gap on each side of the mattress. So we measured it... & Yes it was 150 x 200!

So we were rather miffed that we'd paid for a larger mattress but we really couldn't be bothered to complain. And in the end it was what we'd wanted & it really is very comfortable.
Sponsored Links
Old 20-06-2008, 12:20

hi pollensa

im glad you finally got sorted. theres nothing like a comfortables night sleep.
im sure all the research was worth it in the end.

ps remember if your mattress is "turnable" to rotate it regularly (all 4 directions - side to side, top to bottom) this will ensure that there is "even" settlement of fillings and will ensure that your mattress retains its shape much better.

may you have many happy zzzzzzzzzzz's

regards

gary
Old 22-11-2009, 20:27

Over a year since this thread finished and having found it I willbe printing out a lot of the last 3 pages for info for next week.
However, if anyone has anything to update or info on what to avoid, we would be very grateful.
Old 22-11-2009, 22:56
Founder

Well here's the sequel.

Although we thought it was comfortable, after a while it didn't feel right. We also got fed up with the gap (the mattress was too small for the base) & I kept banging my shins on the posts on our wooden slatted base.

Se we had another go a few weeks ago & decided to go for one similar to what we have in the UK i.e. a divan with drawers (useful when you need storage space for bed-linen etc. & personal bits when friends/family use our apartment) plus matching mattress and we went to Bob the Bed in Santa Ponsa. They sell Kozeesleep (see KozeeSleep - Sleeping Perfection so we had an idea of what they stocked. They do cost a lot more than in the UK but we had no intention of getting one shipped out so we just accepted the high price.

The bed was delivered last week (it had to be ordered with 4 drawers) but our management company took delivery for us so we won't get to try it until the New Year.

Anyway Bob the Bed is in a large warehouse in an industrial estate outside Santa Ponsa. Hope that helps - it really depends on what you're looking for.
Old 22-11-2009, 23:08

Thats very interesting. Hubby seems to remember seeing an advert in the Mallorcan paper for him too. Will definately check out the link and see what is on offer. I do like the thought of the divan draws.
Old 22-11-2009, 23:10
Founder

Forgot to post link for Bob the Bed - see http://www.bobthebed.com/ Have a Good Trip!
Old 23-11-2009, 20:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
Over a year since this thread finished and having found it I willbe printing out a lot of the last 3 pages for info for next week.
However, if anyone has anything to update or info on what to avoid, we would be very grateful.
We bought all our beds in Manacor at Miguel Sureda which is on the Porto Cristo road out of Manacor on a roundabout. As I recall it had 5 floors, 3 of which was devoted to beds and bedroom furniture. After Expo it must be the next biggest shops in Manacor. We ended up buying most of our furniture there. Belladona- if you are thinking of eating at Jardin then this would be your style!
Old 01-12-2009, 10:46

We were out there and back home before I read that advice ak!
However, we did go to Inca, and firstly looked in at DescanShop, opposite Expo, which is almost totally beds. Most of them were the type which have the lift up mattress for storage underneath. Im not a great lover of these for a few reasons,including that Im not too happy having no room under a bed for cleaning or putting suitcases under if necessary, and these type of beds can only take a headboard that is free standing and pushed up between the bed and the wall. But they did look ok and even though the lady there spoke no English what so ever, we did manage to work out that it would take 2 to 3 weeks for delivery from order date.
We then went across the road - taking our lives in our hands, or feet, - to Expo Mobles. I like browsing round here anyway and knowing they were not really "into" beds in particular, fully expected to be going back to DescanShop in January to place the order.
However, whilst looking at a cabinet for the liviing room (I'm fickle) Laura came up and probably asked if she could help us! I mumbled somethiing about Gracia, busca - or something that I hoped she would be able to translate as I was just looking, then she broke into perfect English sayiing that there were a few beds around but she also had brochures that she would show us when we had finished looking.
About half an hour later - and there were a few beds, but not of the type that we were looking for - we went back down stairs where she had the brochures ready.
We looked through and with her help found a bed, base, matress and two side tables in the style which suited our needs. She was very helpful in explaining the reasons of seperate bed and base, and also that spring matresses were better when the apartment is nearer the coast than inland, being able to breath more.
The price was better than buying the storage bed across the road which was also a bonus.
Hubby intends to go back iin January to order it all and suit out a delivery date for easter.
So far so good, will now leave Hubby to dismantle bed in January in preparation!