Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2008, 19:22

Have just checked with chels 'cos I couldn't remember but the guys who delivered our lovely comfy new bed took the old one away free of charge!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2008, 21:19

Default IKEA and BoB the BeD

Hola

We got our Double in IKEA. Bought an additional "topper" as well. Best bed Ive slept in. Only problem is the size is unusual, between a double and a King, 140cm. But its 200cm long where some are only190cm. Comfy but makes getting fitted sheets difficult. They charge for delivery.

Also, BoB the Bed is in Son Bugadeles outlet centre in Santa Ponsa. You see his van often in PP and I think he advertises in the Talk of the North.

My FlickR Photos
Old 03-04-2008, 17:19

Default mattress

hi zelda

hope i can help on this one (my job).

there are various things to watch out for when purchasing a mattress. obviously size does matter (pardon the pun); continental sized mattresses do differ from the uk as there standard double sized mattress is 140 x 200 as opposed to uk 138 x 190 and their king size mattress generally measures 160 x 200 as opposed to uk 150 x 200. this wont make a difference if you are buying a complete bed, but if you are replacing a mattress only, measure the inside dimensions of the bed frame and select the correct size accordingly. (also remember your current bed linen size - if you use fitted sheets, u.k. sized bed linen wont fit continental mattresses)
as to the type of mattress, whilst memory foam mattresses seem to be extremely popular, there is a downside to them, especially in solid foam, (excessive heat/sweat), my advice would be to select a pocket sprung mattress (min 1400 springs in 150cm size) with memory foam as a filling, the springs will act like an accordian and assist with air circulation to control heat. however you can choose pocket springing with cotton as a filling as this provide a cooler nights sleep.

hope this helps

regards

gary
Old 03-04-2008, 18:30

Default mattress

hi

sorry forgot to add the following link which should be of use to you.

http://www.mallorcaweb.com/directory...ation/showAll/

regards

gary
Old 03-04-2008, 19:07
Founder

Wow - thanks Gary for all that info.

Re the bed & size - the current bed is a pretty basic pine slatted one & it appears to be king size but I won't know until we go back out and measure it. We were hoping to just change the mattress so I think the key thing is to get one the same size as the current.

Your info on type of mattress & which is coolest is very useful. They key thing now will be to find all the correct terms in Spanish!
Old 03-04-2008, 20:21

Default Spanish terms for home owners!!

Ive found an excellent book to help for those of us old enough who learnt french at school instead of spanish!!

"Teach Yourself" series "buying a home in spain"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/p...250069&sr=11-1

Its avaiable for £0.01 + £2.75 postage !!

We found it very useful, its got sections on house maintenance and furniture.

My FlickR Photos
Old 03-04-2008, 22:27
Founder

Well from the Mattress Forum's glossary, I have found:

Muelle Ensacado
Muelles independientes alienados entre sí, embolsados en sacos de tela que evitan el roce entre ellos.

Pocket Springs - don't you think?
Old 06-06-2008, 09:13
Founder

Hi all,

there was a post on this thread a while back re Spanish bed sizes. My son has now measured our mattress (in advance of our coming out next week to buy) & says it is 160 x 195 (poss 200) but looking at some Spanish sites they are only quoting widths of 150 cm. I've looked at El Corte Ingles & http://www.artmobel.com/tienda_muebl...ebles0748.html which I think may be the Alcudia place mentioned.

Looking at the IKEA website in the UK they appear to do 160 x 200 so I wonder if we will have to go there - the original bed was already in the apartment & could well be from IKEA.

If anyone happens to be in PP at the moment & has a Spanish King Size bed, could you possible measure it & let me know what it measures? Sounds crazy I know but we are only coming out for 3 days so the more I know in advance the better!

Thanks very much.
Old 06-06-2008, 21:41

Hi pollensa

We have a king size bed bought last year from a shop in Pollensa . I've just text my son to ask him to measure it, as he's at the apartment at the moment.

His reply could take a while........!

Debs
Old 06-06-2008, 22:09
Founder

Thanks very much Deb.

Having discussed this with my husband & looking at the web site for what I think is the Alcudia shop, I think that they appear to sell ones of several lengths including 200 cm & up to 150 cm wide - so we may go ahead & get one slightly smaller than the base. If we have to go to IKEA I can't imagine that they'll deliver that quickly or take away the old one (& the short cut is now blocked off so we'll probably get lost!)

& we now realise why our sheets are always a tight fit!

Do post if you hear from your son. Mine is going home tomorrow night or rather very early Sunday morning with BA.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:49

hi, we bought our beds in a shop in inca across from the big shop called expo mobles. They had all kinds including king size and delivered the next day.
gpm
Old 07-06-2008, 14:17

hi

all "european" standard sizes should be readily available in the shops. the proper king size measurements should be 160cm wide x 200cm long, click on link below. it is also possible to buy your bed linen in uk ikea stores as there bed linen will be to suit "european" sizes.

as per my earlier post regarding beds - its worth mentioning that if you do decide on a visco/memory foam mattress (as oppossed to a sprung interior one), that these can be purchased in the uk, vacuum packed for easier transportation. i dont think that it would cost too much to transport and i think it would be worthwhile comparing prices etc.

Manufacturer of beds and mattresses. Shops in Palma, Manacor, Sant Lluís and Eivissa.

http://www.somycol.es/pdf/col_oriente.pdf

hope this helps

regards

gary
Old 08-06-2008, 01:12

Hi pollensa

Finally got text from my son with the bed measurement ....160cm wide x 200cm long. The shop is near the 'other ' square in Pollensa near the underground car park..sorry can't remember the name of it!!

Excellent service , same day delivery and they took the old bed away for a small charge.

Sweet dreams!!

Debs
Old 08-06-2008, 20:45
Founder

Thanks Gary for that sheet - it looks as if mattresses of 160cm are actually 2 mattresses zipped together so it'll be interesting to see if we actually can get a 'complete' 160cm one (apart from Ikea).

But as Debz appears to have one (thanks Debz), we'll definitely look at the Pollensa shop too - this is going to be a very busy short break - only out next Thu-Sun!

Will let you know how I get on.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:03

Just a thought Pollensa - Company's that make their own mattresses would normally do a made to measure service but not sure if there are any near to PP. We got our mattresses from Ikea, they have a good choice of qualities and prices and they seem to be well made. Only problem is they charged €57 for delivery, it was worth it for us as we had a lot of furniture delivered at the same time.
Hope this helps.