Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Living & Working in the Pollensa Area (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/)
-   -   Transport to Carrefour/Ikea/Leroy Merlin (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/2904-transport-carrefour-ikea-leroy-merlin.html)

whaleywanderer 15-03-2008 11:21

Transport to Carrefour/Ikea/Leroy Merlin

Hi
Can anybody offer advice, my husband and I do not drive and have recently purchased a new apartment in PP, We need furniture and diy materials and would like to be able to get to the bigger stores that offer more choice and better prices. What is the best way to get there? Is there a bus that goes near? Would we have to go into Palma and get either a bus or taxi from there?
We would be grateful for any information.:)

PS. I think this site is fantastic!

snowy2007 15-03-2008 13:11

Try Zara Taxis she has big Utility -Alccia 650914991 or zarataxi@hotmail.com
I am sure she will help out.

whaleywanderer 15-03-2008 17:09

Thanks for your suggestion

Thanks for your suggestion, but only need to shop, we will not need to bring stuff back to the apartment, hoping they will deliver! So it would be a big expense to get there and back (approx 120 Euro). Thats why I thought the bus would be good.

Sharonh 15-03-2008 21:45

whaleywanderer

I think Ikea deliver and possibly build things as well in Mallorca but I am pretty sure that Carrefour do not deliver. I am not sure about Leroy Merlin but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't deliver.

I don't think buses go directly to any of these stores. Possibly get the bus to Palma and then get taxi out to the stores. Ikea is very close to the airport as is Carrefour but Leroy Merlin is quite a distance out towards PP.

Sharon

sws97sdg 18-03-2008 10:53

I have seen adverts in the back of the free papers in PP and in the classifieds in the Daily Bulletin with people with vans who will move things and collect things for you, I might be worth giving them a try.

PP76 18-03-2008 19:27

Ikea will deliver, I think most days, and will build the furniture for you for a very resonable price.

PP76

whaleywanderer 18-03-2008 20:49

Thanks for all your suggestions, I think I will wait until we get there and have a look through the classified section of the local rag.

I have just found out that I can ring a number for Ikea in Majorca, leave my UK number on their answer machine and somebody who speaks English will ring back and take the order, presumably payment would have to be via credit card. How good is that!! I have'nt tried it yet though.

Thanks to all for your help.

Quelys 24-03-2008 19:29

Ikea transport charges

You may be surprised with the delivery charged by Ikea, I once remember thinking the savings on the furniture were being paid in transport and always try and borrow a friend with a large enough car. They charge per zone and as PP is furthest away, the standard deliver charge is the most expensive...worth bearing in mind

whaleywanderer 25-03-2008 11:08

Yes, I agree that the delivery charges are quite high after making some inquiries, but they do only charge one delivery charge regardless of how many items that are being delivered. I suppose the best thing to do is buy lots of things!
We have decided to wait till we get there and look in the local papers to see if we can get 'a man with a van'. We are, however, looking forward to making new friends because up to now the only person we know is our agent!

Does anybody know if the 2008 edition of 'Holiday in PP' has been published yet?

pollensa 25-03-2008 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by whaleywanderer (Post 19091)
Does anybody know if the 2008 edition of 'Holiday in PP' has been published yet?

I saw Ann of HIPP last week & she has just sent it to the printers so it will probably be out in a month's time. But meanwhile she publishes Talk of the North every fortnight - see www.puertopollensa.com/talkofthenorth with plenty of classified ads.

whaleywanderer 04-04-2008 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by whaleywanderer (Post 19012)
Thanks for all your suggestions, I think I will wait until we get there and have a look through the classified section of the local rag.

I have just found out that I can ring a number for Ikea in Majorca, leave my UK number on their answer machine and somebody who speaks English will ring back and take the order, presumably payment would have to be via credit card. How good is that!! I have'nt tried it yet though.

Thanks to all for your help.

Just tried the Ikea answering machine, it took a couple of hours for them to ring back, but when they did they took my order, paid by credit card and arranged for a delivery date. Really good service. Delivery charge was 57 euro.

jiggggy 05-04-2008 02:21

Is there any way i can get a copy of 'Holiday in PP' send to me in the UK?

pollensa 05-04-2008 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiggggy (Post 19324)
Is there any way i can get a copy of 'Holiday in PP' send to me in the UK?

Contact Ann who publishes it - see http://puertopollensa.com/hipp/

However the 2008 edition is due out later this month. You can also get Talk of the North sent to you which she publishes every fortnight & therefore has more current adverts.