Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-02-2008, 16:54

Default Licenses for rentals

Spoke to our solicitor last week and it appears that Mallorca is taking the situation regardng lIcensing more seriously than any other area in Spain. According to the letter of the law it is nowillegal to let out anything other than a detached villa. This is all apparently to placate the hotel community on the island.

Has anyone else heard anything further??/
Sponsored Links
Old 17-02-2008, 17:04

Smile Licenses for rentals

Hi Graham,

Have a look under "Living and Working in Pollensa Area" Forum- the Property Prices Thread - discussion on the subject of Licenses there.
Old 18-02-2008, 09:43

There's an article in the online Ultima Hora about this today. I get the gist, which seems to substantiate Graham's post, but if there's anyone out there whose Spanish is better than mine, a translation may help!
Old 20-02-2008, 11:38

Today's Mallorca Daily Bulletin has provided a translation:

"CRACKDOWN ON ILLEGAL TOURISM
ANYONE who has not registered property in the Balearics which is let out for holiday rents is going to have an increasingly difficult time, with the regional government announcing a crackdown yesterday on all illegal practice in this sector.

Hoteliers on the Islands are claiming that the era of holiday packages booked through tour operators has already peaked but residential tourism in privately owned houses, villas and apartments is still in the throes of taking off in a big way. The hoteliers say that undeclared holiday rents constitute an unfair practice because whilst hotel owners and the chains to which they may belong have to confirm to rigid government standards and tax demands, unauthorised renting is fiscally illegal and provides no guarantees to the clients in terms of amenities. Following the recent Holiday Trade Fair held in Madrid and at the request of major tour operators and hotel chains, the regional ministry for Tourism is therefore going to launch an even deeper investigation than ones it has initiated in the past, by following up advertisements in newspapers and trade magazines, not just here on the Islands but also in key client countries such as the United Kingdom and Germany, as well as making detailed searches on the Internet - a means through which many individual travellers and families are now choosing to book their tailor-made holidays.

Once the operation of weeding out illegal trade has been completed, the ministry will have a much more accurate overview by the time the summer arrives, of just how extensive the registered residential holiday rent business on the Islands actually is. The crackdown will also protect holidaymakers who rent from being “palmed off” with substandard properties."
Old 21-02-2008, 10:51

Default something has to be done

Hold on......... hotels that have all inclusive are dying a death I know I was there last year three times and was throughly bored of the food and the shabby room we were given. In the end we ate out every day because it was better than standing in lines waiting to be served etc. Worse is the fact that all inclusives dont help local businesses at all. look at all the empty business shells left vacant from the heady days when they prospered..until the hotels took over and sunk them.

Now lets put this in to perspective. Does Mallorca want british people to invest there or not ?....... because if they dont then they will regret the fact that there will be a mass exodus in genesis type proportions.
At the moment if you rent out an apartment all vendors in the are benefit.
Personally I believe that if the hotels have so much clout with their lobby why do we have to sit back and let them have their way.
Form a lobby from the true people who make little places like Sa comma, calor egos etc popular and viable because lets face it ...... Hotels only go where they can have a monoply of the local area with their.......inefficient services to the island.

LETS FORM A LOBBY Now...............
Old 21-02-2008, 14:03

Cool

WOW! Strong views Welshbeef! First reading I think I agree with you, I got really stressed a couple of years ago with all the new roads being built, which in my opinion is ruining the island, but I was put in my place by being made to remember that its for the Mallorcans and not for me! There is always the worry that the island will continue to be populated by the hotels that own the south of the island, whereas at the moment the North still maintains its individuality - albeit by the skin of its teeth! I do feel that by keeping the availabilty of individual rents that this helps people to appreciate their part in maintaining the islands beauty, rather than just be carried away by the bubble that surrounds hotels. Im not saying that hotels are the worst thing that has happened - far from it - but I am saying that the balance should be maintained.
Mallorca is a tourist island and they do take this point very seriously, and I am sure that with careful consideration (or re-consideration in some cases), they can regulate to please tourists and keep the island special.
Have drifted a bit from your original point - sorry - but I think Im agreeing with you!
Old 21-02-2008, 15:42

Default thank you ........ smiles

I guess I do have strong views. But lets not forget the salient points. This is europe.......and if I am right then would it be legal let alone morally right for the spanish government to enforce a law (Locally) that looks after conglomerate companies. And to heck with the individual who is at the end of the day. Just ensuring that they could have an income.
Lets face the truth here how many people could stay in mallorca if they couldnt rent out apartments. And further to this how many business would close because of lack of custom. And lets not forget the malorcans themselves. They earn a living with all the taxis and supermarkets etc that atttend the needs of visitors..
Now if everyone stayed in their hotel as the hotels would prefer then....... we are all up the river without a paddle.

hehe Why do I care I shall just sell up and go to Lybia lol and start again.
Old 24-02-2008, 09:55

Default licenses for rental

There's a simple chain of events likely here:

No licenses for apartments = fewer vistors = less revenue for locals = threat of economic downturn = call for more hotel beds = high demand for small supply of land = build upwards = more pollensa park hotels.

Simple solution? Make license available for apartments. Enforce strictly. Charge fairly.
Old 24-02-2008, 13:08

Thumbs up

Could n't agree with you more Graham, right down to the very last word, a very clear and concise message, one you should send to the authorities!! Although one would think they could work it out for themselves!!??
Although I don't own property on the Island, I prefer to rent apartments or villas for my annual holiday (hotels ok for shorter breaks) I do appreciate having the choice - or did have!!?? Which makes me think now - should I be asking questions regarding my forthcoming holiday - on "Inspection from Dept. of Tourism" thread one message states that the authorities turned up at an apartment which was in fact occupied by holidaymakers. Any advice on this?

Last edited by favie; 24-02-2008 at 13:18. Reason: I stated wrong thread
Old 24-02-2008, 18:28

Have been following this topic with interest but not sure if I have missed a point somewhere (quite likely) -we (and other friends) have booked private apartments (not Villas) for the last 7 or 8 years through different local agents..can anyone advise how this will affect the agents etc
Old 25-02-2008, 11:36

Default agents

Cath the agents have been doing it adlib I suspect. Once in a while the spanish government have a bright Idea and try and implement things. IF you own a bar or cafe in mainland spain you pay a pavement tax if you have tables and chairs outside. They tried to implement this in mallorca to no avail. Mallorcans being what they are just refused to pay so it was forgotten about.

I am worried because I am buying apartments to rent as well as a cafe. But I think I will become catlan and just shrug my shoulders lol. If I even thought that things would go wrong I wouldnt invest any more money in mallorca.
At the moment I have a few ideas where else to go but i love mallorca. No crime, plenty of sun, fresh food/fish I love it .
And I hope you will still come to mallorca.
Old 25-02-2008, 16:28

Thumbs up

You cant possibly go anywhere else now - think of all us PP site posters already preparing to be your customers!
Old 25-02-2008, 23:45

Apartment already booked and deposit paid (through Sol) for july this year so no doubt we will carry on as before.

Cant wait until July so have managed an early week in April..(had a late week in October too) - well I keep telling myself that I have to see PP at all times of year for when I get my lottery win and I wont have to worry about renting