Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-09-2005, 18:03
Lou

Default Moving in the Winter

Hello, I wonder if anyone could advise us on how to rent cheaply through the winter in Pollenca or Puerto? I have been looking through the agents sites and some are quoting up to 1400 E per week for a 3 bed property from November to April. I thought it would be a lot cheaper in the winter time. We have our house on the market in the UK and when it sells we want to rent for a few months, before buying. I have been coming to Puerto for over 20 years and I am in love with the area, but I am trying to be practical about a move and want to rent first. So if anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. Whilst we haven't sold yet, I wanted to start costing up and preparing for it (exciting isn't it?). Many thanks for any input. Lou.
Sponsored Links
Old 26-09-2005, 22:15
ChrisLox

Hi Lou,
Guess what? That’s exactly what myself and my partner are doing! We are at present waiting for a completion date on our property in England and after that plan to rent in the PP area for 6 months. What we intend on doing is booking an apartment or villa for 4 weeks and looking around the rental and estate agents during that time. We have found a few good websites that you may like to try. If you’re interested let me know and I’ll forward ‘em on to you. You will find that central PP is expensive, but if you try the outskirts, Alcudia, C’an Picafort or Pollenca town there are bargains to be had. Anyway let us know how you’re getting on with your move and maybe we can all meet up for a drink together in the winter months to come.
Old 27-09-2005, 20:54
Lou

Thanks so much for your response Chris? Lox?,
It great to think that there is someone going through the same excitement and anticipation as us! Although I think that you have travelled a little further down the line than us with a completion date in site. I am realistic that sometimes it take two or three trys before the house actually sells, still I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is sooner rather than later. The idea of booking a 4 week rent first so that you can search the local agents is great. Is it just you and your partner or do you have children you are bringing with you? My son is 18 and has finally agreed to "try it out" for a couple of months and my other son is 11 and is so excited about moving. I enrolled him for Spanish lessons at our local college and he has picked it up well for a beginner. It would be really helpful to have the website addresses you spoke of, thanks for your kind input. I wish you luck with your completion date and it would be lovely to think that our house will sell and a festive Christmas drink was on the horizon for all of us in Puerto! Muchos Gracias, Lou
Old 28-09-2005, 00:34
ChrisLox

Hi again Lou,
Excitement, anticipation, frustration, be prepared it could be (but hopefully not,) a long and arduous process. It has been for us. Our dream started only 2 years ago after holidaying in Cala San Vicente and stumbling across Puerto Pollenca after a rocky stroll over the Boquer Mts. We totally fell in love with Mallorca and resolved that we would come to live here in the near future. It has taken us since April of this year to sell our house in the stagnant and unpredictable British housing market, but finally we are here biting our nails awaiting the completion date to get that signature on the dotted line. Claire my partner has handed in her notice at work and I intend on doing the same once we find out that magic date.
I like England, but I love Mallorca! We have no kids (yet!) but we will be leaving behind our families and our comfort zone. Hopefully it will all be worth it!
Bear in mind as we have that emigration is different to vacation, and keep your ambitions realistic and I’m sure everything will live up to the expectation. We have done plenty of research on the ‘tinternet’ and tried to visit at all times of the year. Mallorca, the north and the east in particular we found are very quiet out of season but this does offer up a unique and pleasurable experience in itself.
I think finding somewhere to rent for 4 weeks gives you a bit of time to think and maybe relax a bit. At the end of that period if you haven’t found anything you could always buy a mobile home or stay at a monastery for 7€ a night!!!
Our main concern at the moment is what we are going to do for work. We would love to spend our days sunbathing and jetskiing during the day, partying all night, but unfortunately we don’t have a substantial lottery windfall to finance it all! We do however have two or three ideas for businesses that we will research more when we arrive. How about yourself?
The websites that we have found particularly useful are www.irentmyvilla.com www.abc-property.com www.rightmove.co.uk pedro mesquida, Jaime & Sheldon, Biz Baleares, to name a few. I’m doing this list from work so these are from memory. I’ll have to check on my lap top at home later tonight. The best site of course is this one, PP.com. The help you can get here is second to none.
Finally, for now fingers crossed for yourself and I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible. It is, like you said, great to think that someone else is going through a similar experience. Live the dream!!!
Best wishes, Bona nit
Chris
Old 29-09-2005, 00:08
jeaninmallorca

Hi, for the past eighteen months we have been lucky enough to live in PP, but last year our son rented a great apartment in the centre of PP for a lot less rent than the figures discussed. If you are interested the e-mail address is:
lynnhughes2c2002@yahoo.co.uk

Good Luck
Old 29-09-2005, 00:57
Founder

Re Rentals, prices can be a lot cheaper than 1400 eur per week on our rentals site www.rentals.puertopollensa.com

Although some owners may not want to offer a long term let.