Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Living & Working in the Pollensa Area (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/)
-   -   Living in paradise. (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/1817-living-paradise.html)

Tony Roan 06-02-2006 06:24

Living in paradise.

My wife and I have holidayed (is that a real word?) in Puerto Pollensa for the last 5 years. The most beautiful place we've ever seen. But... What's it like living there out of season? Is it boring and dead when all the tourists have gone home? Are the properies very expensive or just expensive?
What's the British community like, are they all rich? In other words, is it worth selling our little house in Swansea and moving to paradise, aka PP.
Looking forward to your replies.
Ta,
Tony R

sonyaaa 06-02-2006 09:52

Hi Tony
I think you will get many different responses to this one and all from a personal point of view. Yes it is very quite and can be boring actually no different to at home because if you were home you wouldn't do what you do on holiday the same would go if pp was your home, properties are more expensive in pp than other parts of Majorca. The British community that I have come across are all down to earth and hard working no doubt there are the one's who do have a few bob! and no need to work, from talking to local english they seems to be quite close knit. I think after a while one would want a job or an interest depends on the individual, As for selling your home I personally would rent my home in Swansea and rent accomodation pp for a while first before making such a life changing decision.
My Thoughts!

Sonya

Tony Roan 06-02-2006 10:09

Thanks Sonya, you're my first reply. It took me about a week to work out how to get a message posted on the Pollensa site! And I've worked in I.T. (computers) for the last 30 years!
That ezboard thing is a right pain. Anyway,we ( me and my wife) have wanted to sell-up and move to Spain for quite a few years but it's a big step to take, isn't it? I've just taken early retirement from the local Council even though I'm only mid 50's. My wife, who is a teacher, has another few years to go before she can retire and she's so jealous of me because I've retired.
We just love Puerto Pollensa but I think at least one of us would have to work, at least part-time, to be able to afford to live there.
The weather in the U.K. just makes you so depressed. We'd do anything to move to the sunshine.
But I think within the next couple of years we'll be moving out there. Keep in touch and we'll look you up when we move there. We're going there again this August. Fancy meeting us for a drink?

Jimsboy 07-02-2006 00:26

Hiya Tony,

As an ex resident of Sketty, now domiciled in Liverpool, I know exactly what you mean about the weather. My advice, having lived abroad myself in the past, would be to take your time deciding whilst perhaps renting an apartment for a couple of weeks or so, out of season, whilst your wife is on holiday from school. This way you can see PP in all its facets.

Good luck
Jimsboy

Tony Roan 07-02-2006 01:02

Paradise

Thanks Jimsboy, I might just do that now that I've just taken early retirement (last week.) You moved from Swansea to Liverpool. I moved from Liverpool to Swansea! I was born in Liverpool, moved to Kirkby, or Hell to give it it's real name, and moved here 30 years ago. It's time to move again, this time to the sun.

sandy 07-02-2006 02:33

Re: Paradise

Hi Tony

I'm another one like Sarah who has been surfing the PP forum for ages but not had the courage to register. Finally done it, so I can now add my twopenneth.

We're hoping to retire to PP eventually too, and have already bought the apartment while continuing to slog it out in Bournemouth. By going over every couple of months we should see it at all times of year. It's a big step just selling up and moving, so we thought we do it by baby steps. Now I'm just wishing away the next few years until we can finally go.