Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2006, 22:39
translatorman

Default Damp in our apartment

Advice needed please!

Has anyone else found their apartment to be slightly damp over the winter? Our beautiful pine doors are now green with mild mould.

Not sure if it is the lack of heating or ventilation (during the closed up months) which is causing it.

Do any other site users have experience of the dehumidifiers which the electrical shops seem to sell?

Any assistance gratefully received.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2006, 03:38
pinot g

hi Translatorman

The damp in our apartment started in October, I was very concerned as there was mould around the windows and up the walls. I went to see our Spanish neighbour who assured me it was a common problem and she suffered the same. I took her advice and washed the walls with an anti fungal solution and have now had the walls treated with a special paint. I also bought a de humidifier and was amazed at how much moisture there was. I also bought for about 6 euros each some small plastic devices filled with something like silica gel to absorb moisture. There is a great hardware store in Pollensa, as you turn from the main road into the start of Pollensa it is on the left hand side, the lady who works there speaks fluent English and is wonderful at finding something to help you.

Our problem is now in hand, I hope this helps you

happy New Year!

Pinot G
Old 04-01-2006, 08:44
med777

Also...when u close up for winter...leave all doors open...so that air can circulate...cuboards, wardrobes etc...it helps a wee bit.
and if ur stuck without the silica gel....bowls with salt in them.

BoL
Old 17-01-2006, 21:12
translatorman

Thanks for all the good advice. We have put all of these measures in place and hope that it will improve matters. Also managed to find the silica gel devices in the ferretoria!

Reassuring to know it isn't just us too!!
Old 17-01-2006, 23:17
pinot g

Glad you found the anti damp devices, wasnt sure from my description that you would!!!
Hope the problem gets better, if you decide to use Martin Aplin as key holder/ maintenance he will arrange for your apartment to be painted with this special anti damp paint. Its best to have it done when you re not there as its fumes are quite toxic.

Pinot G
Old 18-01-2006, 00:21

It 's going to be with some trepidation when I open the door of our apartment in February for the first time in 4 months..I have visions of quatermass :eek

Has it been especially damp this Winter as we didn't have any mould growing after the last one? Just a bit worried as we painted throughout last year and I'm not aware it was special anti damp paint..whoops :\

Debs
Old 06-02-2006, 05:40
Watty

Hi all
Here goes for my first posting! We have used a dehumidifier with great success. All we did was to set it going on a plug-in timer for a couple of hours twice a day. Our unit would switch off when the small tank was full so there was no need to worry about overflowing. Our friends just kept an eye on things to check when the tank needed emptying.
Points to remember, pull the furniture away from the walls a couple of inches. Leave wardrobe and cupboard door open but keep the doors to bathroom and kitchen CLOSED! This is to stop all the water being taken out of the sink/bath traps and the cistern.
Our furniture, mattresses and all curtains and bedding have benefited from this and if we popped over for a quickie, weekend that is, the apartment was dry and comfortable.
Money well spent.
Regards
Watty
Old 07-02-2006, 22:47
pinot g

Hello Watty

Thank you for the tip about leaving kitchen and bathroom doors shut with the dehumidifier.
We didnt leave ours on when last there but think will do the same as you and put it on a timer. We go over later this month and again at Easter, it will be interesting to see what the walls are like now, hopefully our problem is in hand

Kind regards

Pinot G
Old 07-02-2006, 23:36

We're due to go over to our apartment next week, I'm dreading what we might find. Does that mean all the clothes we left there will be covered in green mould as well? I'll try to find some silica gel while we're there. Is one in each room enough to cope with the problem ? Meanwhile we'll leave all the doors open and the bathroom door shut.
Old 08-02-2006, 00:16

I'm filled with dread as to what we'll find when we go over next week as well Sandy :eek

Does anyone know if the weather been especially damp this year as we had no mould growing last Winter?
Old 08-02-2006, 05:16
sonyaaa

Hi Debz

We too are over next week! only yesterday I spoke to our friend who lives there and he was telling me there has been a lots wind and rain also floods in some places. Now don't panic but some people he has recently become friendly with have just returned to their apartment to find the roof had leaked and all the walls were black and now they have to have the roof repaired/replaced. My nerves have gone as we're the top floor!. I was over on 1/1 and didn't notice any signs of damp so i'm just hoping it will be ok when we go next week. otherwise i'll see you in the paint shop anti fungal this time , I made the same error! but thankfully only in two rooms.

Sonya
Old 08-02-2006, 07:06

Looks like our long weekend is going to be very busy buying de-humidifiers,gel stuff,anti fungal paint etc..oh the joy of owning your own 'place in the sun'!

One consolation Sonya... we'll have worked up such an appetite (and thirst) we'll sure have fun in the evenings

Debs
Old 08-02-2006, 18:19

We're also on the top floor! I think I might cancel my flight! Oh well, we had intended painting anyway. The bedroom is a delightful shade of dark blue !
Old 11-02-2006, 00:42
Paul from Hove

sandy debz and sonya
I am retired and love PP but my plans to buy an apt have failed - too many problems with equity release etc - however although retired I would be prepared to take on some light duties and villa/apartment sitting in the winter months seems about right !!! ( tongue in cheek of course )
Seriously I envy you all being able to pop over to your homes in the sun and hope you all have a great time with no nasty surprises
Regards
Paul
Old 12-02-2006, 04:22

My agent out in PP who manages our property has assured me she has checked and there is no damp or mould in our apartment as it has been kept well ventilated. She says it is cold though so I expect we'll have to snuggle under the duvet when we arrive 'till the heating kicks in ..oh well lifes tough sometimes

So Paul it looks like I won't have to take you up on your kind offer to 'apartment- sit' ,but thanks anyway

Debs