Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Living & Working in the Pollensa Area (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/)
-   -   House and Contents Insurance (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/1755-house-contents-insurance.html)

bluejr77 08-01-2007 05:47

House and Contents Insurance

Hi, we are currently due to renew our House and Contents insurance at our house in Pollensa. This is the 3rd year we have had the property and I have finally got my head into gear to start looking around for alternative quotations! Until now I have stuck with what I know, but now testing the water so to speak! :o

We are currently using Neil Rowsley (Liberty), and I have sent emails and letters to both Axa and Mapfre.

It would be really helpful if anyone could recommend any other insurance companies, or agents? It would be an added bonus if they spoke English as our Spanish is still pretty much non-existent I am afraid!

Thank you.

Janice

PeRu 08-01-2007 10:04

Hi Janice,

We haven't had any direct dealings with House and Contents Insurance ourselves. Being slightly lazy about such things we use Mapfre through our Bank, Solbank.
This, we find, works well for us. Perhaps you might ask your Bank.
Hope this is of help.
PeRu

bluejr77 09-01-2007 06:05

Hi PeRu, thanks for this - never thought of asking the Bank. Thats next on my list of things to do. Brilliant - a great help.

sandy 09-01-2007 17:53

Hi Janice. Just to confirm PeRu's recommendation, we also have our insurance through the bank. It may well be cheaper elsewhere, like in England, but it just seems so much easier. At least you know you can trust them!

bluejr77 09-01-2007 23:24

Hi Sandy and PeRU. I have today contacted our Bank to ask for their assistance. We have received a couple of quotes now from various other Insurance companies, but sadly their terms and conditions are not in English - and not being fluent in Spanish makes it difficult, even with translational software! I really cant bring myself to go with someone in the hope that I am covered because the cost seems reasonable - cant take that risk. It does make more sense to go with our Bank, even if the costs are a little more expensive. They have been helpful in other matters and speak English, so I am sure that if we do experience any problems (hopefully not), that they will be easier to liaise with. I am glad I have finally got around to sitting down and thinking about this before the renewal is due rather than on the last minute and just renewing with the same company. Yet again Pollensa.com comes to my rescue, I have lost count of the number of times I have looked on here for help and advice - and found it!Thanks for all your help

sandy 10-01-2007 01:20

I love this site. That's what its all about. :)

Gommar Goffer 12-01-2007 08:17

Insurance

Hi - we have our buildings insurance sorted through our community, but our contents insurance is through Lorente Seguros:- address- joan XX111, 95 - 1 A, 07470 Port de Pollenca (Mallorca) Tel.:- 971 684 214.

Cost is 83 euros p.a. for a 4 bed apart. Never had to claim, just get a bill and pay it.

On thing to check is that all you pipework is covered as it has a tendency to leak!

SENOR CIGAR 12-01-2007 21:44

Re: Insurance

A WORD OF CAUTION ON THE BUILDINGS POLICIES THAT ARE ISSUED IN SPAIN.
THE WORDING COVERS THE EXTERIOR FABRIC OF THE BUILDING AND WE WOULD ALL EXPECT THIS TO MEAN THE GLASS TERRACE/BALCONY DOORS THAT MOST OF US HAVE.
THIS IS CLASSED AS THE EXTERIOR OF THE BUILDING BUT NOT IF YOU HAVE OUTSIDE SHUTTERS AS THIS IS THEN CLASSED AS THE EXTERIOR.
THIS IS SOMETHING TO WATCH OUT FOR AND IT WON'T BE TILL YOU BREAK A LARGE PANE OF GLASS YOU FIND OUT.
THERE IS A WAY AROUND THIS PROVIDING YOU INSURE YOUR CONTENTS AND LIABILITY THROUGH A UK COMPANY .
MOST WILL ADD IT AS AN EXTRA TO YOUR POLICY SO SPEAK TO YOUR LOCAL INSURANCE BROKER IN THE UK.
:hat :hat :hat

Roy and Katie 14-01-2007 02:28

We have all our insurance with the spanish version of Direct Line - Lineas Direct. Everything and their operators are in English and you get a discount if you are with them in the UK.
Prices seem to be good too.