Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-02-2007, 01:06
lillie109

Default moving to Mallorca

Hi
This is my first posting so accept my apologies in advance if i make mistakes!
We have finally woken up and 'smelt the roses' or maybe the bouganvillia! We want to move to Mallorca - we are visiting Puerto pollensa this september and want to use that to check things out.
We have around £180.000 to spend on a property and are not even sure what this would get us.
We are in are early 50's and do not need to work full time but would need to have a part time job maybe in a bar or restaurant - my husband is a catering manager in the Uk and there is not much about catering he doesn't know.
We want a better life and feel Mallorca will offer that to us.
All help will be really appreciated - we need to know the facts to see if this dream of ours can really come true.
Sponsored Links
Old 19-02-2007, 09:02
smiddy

Default moving to mallorca

its a great dream and it can come true
as long as you are realistic
there are some great posts on this site with other peoples experiences, you should read through them and maybe contact some direct
We are not at the stage of moving permanently still have youngish children
but feel that if we did,we would still retain a house in uk
also many people say that you should rent property and stay during the winter time to get a real feel for the place, before commiting to buy
we were over for a week end of january and the place was pretty much deserted, not that we minded we knew what to expect and werent disapointed
good luck
Old 19-02-2007, 17:56

Default Re: moving to mallorca

I agree entirely with Smiddy. £180 should buy you a pretty decent 2-3 bed apartment, but of course it depends on your own personal criteria. If you want a finca in the hills with a pool, you're not going to manage!

My husband and I had the same dream. Ours is now turning into reality. We bought our apartment 2 years ago, having holidayed in the town for years. We now go out every 2 months, so we get to know the town out of season, as well as at the height of season when the heat is intense and its full of tourists. The move is beginning to happen, and we should be there by the middle of next year. I think the main point is to take your time, don't rush into anything and make sure the town (whichever one you choose) is right for you out of season as well as in.
Old 20-02-2007, 02:52

Default Moving To Mallorca

By far the best thing to do is to rent before you buy.
You will get to know local people and get to know the area even better.
Once you are "semi-established" you will get to know about the pros and cons of different areas, you will get a circle of friends and get to know about property that is for sale.
After a time out here you will discover that areas you thought were attractive really aren't upto much.
You need to find out about the community you are proposing to live in, and it's too late after you have bought.
I bought and moved 2 years ago, having had an apartment here for more years than I care to remember!
Even in this situation, a bit of research paid off.

£180,000 should buy you a decent 2/3 bedroomed apartment. Do you really want a pool, with extra community dues as a result? Do you want a sea view?...for £180,000?.......I can see the sea if I look left off the balcony, and I paid a lot less than £180,000!
Do you want a community with a lot of letting apartments? Where's the sun? (for winter).

It's a great place to live. I'm just beginning to explore Mallorca, and loving finding new places and new things to do.
There is work if you are prepared to do the work to get it.

I hope this is useful. (You could end up with me as a neighbour!!!!)

Cheers!

Frito
Old 22-02-2007, 20:38
ChrisLox

Default Re: Moving To Mallorca

Hi Lillie,
When you said that their isn't anything your partner doesn't know about catereing, well I just wondered does he know Mallorquin or Spanish? If not, getting by in catering is much harder than you think and if you don't speak the lingo the type of jobs you will be able to get are greatly limited. I din't want to put a dampner on your ambitions but take it from someone who has gone through this process. I hope everything goes well for you but as I have said on this forum before to people wanting to move to Mallorca, do tons and tons of research first or you WILL come unstuck! The most important thing of all LEARN SPANISH!
Best Wishes,
C
Old 25-02-2007, 23:50
lillie109

Default Re: Moving To Mallorca

thanks everyone -- i really appreciate your advice. i will keep reading the web site. Nothing has yet made me feel it cant happen it just may take a little longer. All advice greatly appreciated. Lillie x