Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Living & Working in the Pollensa Area (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/)
-   -   Mc Callam Builders (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/1721-mc-callam-builders.html)

trinitycottage 11-06-2006 23:17

Mc Callam Builders

We are just about to employ McCallum Builders to build our villa, has anybody used them before and if so how did you find working them. We have so far found them excelllant at the inital quote stage, but would be interested in views on good or bad.

tramuntana89 19-06-2006 03:47

Please take your time before you committ yourself with any builder. You will see that there is clearly too much construction going on around the place and not all of high quality.

tailhook21 26-06-2006 04:24

With respect, I'm amazed that you're about to employ the services of a contractor, on a major project, and you don't know anything about his standard of work. Surely the first step would have been to ask him what projects he has completed recently and then go and see a few of these yourself; preferably with your architect.
Good luck with whatever you decide; you'll obviously need it..:eek

trinitycottage 27-06-2006 04:38

I appreciate your comments but we not stupid and we have been to see 3 of the builder current works in progress and completed projects and they look great. But with all due respect we all know that just looking at the results is one thing but how you get to the results are another. I wanted to find out if anybody had dealt with them and found that they where as good as they look or if they experience promises that where not for filled or time scales that where not met. We have a very tight deadline and being in the Uk we rely on the people we employ doing what they say, as we are not on site every week to look over their shoulders.

mallorcaboy 27-06-2006 05:52

Builders

I understand your anxiety, and you are right to be cautious.
Firstly, McCallum have built quite a few apartment blocks in the Port, surely one or two of the Forum members must own one. Interestingly none have commented.
Secondly, my experience of having work carried out on my apartment when I was not here is that they NEVER do exactly what you want when you want it. Compromise is the key and often the cards are in the hands of builders, who know you just want them to finish so you can get on and enjoy your property.
I guess I would ask any builder for references, and go and speak to those folk who have had them build and see what their experiences were. If you can't get decent references, go somewhere else.
Good luck, I'm sure with common sense, you're going to be fine

debz1 27-06-2006 06:44

Re: Builders

Our apartment was built by McCallum about 12 years ago although we only bought it 2 years ago. I didn't comment as we were not involved in the planning or build of an individual property and were not there to see if the apartments were finished in the timescale given. Having worked for a new homes company in this country ( and liking one so much selling it to myself ) I know from experience that things are often held up for weeks when suppliers don't supply materials on time..and I expect it's the same (manana manana :\ ) in Mallorca !

We are however delighted with our apartment and from what we can tell it appears to have been well built ...it's still standing anyway ;)

All the best and enjoy!

Mariquita 27-06-2006 15:53

Our apartment block was built in association with McCallums about 15 years ago and is still in very good condition. In fact much better then some much newer buildings we have seen.

Bob McCullum helped us to find two apartments and was a real help in sorting things out for us. We have had experience of other agents in the Port but I would much prefer to deal with McCallums.

med777 28-06-2006 06:22

a wee bit off topic, but he sold us our apartment, not built by him, but he arranged everything for the sale, all the legals, wills, insurance. Even accomodation until the actual exchange. We had no problems at all and he was very helpful when we were in the early stages of settling in, introducing us to various people and companies, for services we needed.

Hope all goes to plan for you

med777

JMD40 28-06-2006 23:40

I have never been in the position of having a property built for me but after living here over 20years it worries me that you say you are on a very tight schedule. I would only suggest that you should have a very good plan B up your sleeves as deadlines are very rarely met over here (or anywhere maybe?) We had major work done on our block of apartments recently and it took much much longer than first suggested. McCallum may have all the best attention in the world but he may also, like all of us, be let down by other contractors unless he employs everyone himself. Builders (and plumbers, electricians etc.et.c) have a habit of taking on too much work, starting a job and then disappearing for several days to show their faces on another project and then returning to you and so it goes on . . . .Also paperwork can take for ever also. Good luck anyhow and maybe your question should be if ANYONE ANYWHERE has ever had a property built to schedule or what the average delays are???

trinitycottage 06-07-2006 04:39

Thanks very much for all yours replys. We are hoping to commence building at the end of this month and hope to have the property finished by Easter.

Jax 15-07-2006 01:33

Further to the earlier replies, take a wander around Gotmar and you will soon learn to spot McCullum properties as they all have a similar style - Los Citros, Las Flores, Las Margaridas etc etc.

trinitycottage 15-09-2007 04:26

What a nightmare !!!

1 Year on and 6 months late and still no sign of finishing what can I say beware anyone considering building their own dream house.

eleanor 04-04-2010 19:40

I wondered if Trinity Cottage ever did complete and move into their villa?

Having a husband who is an architect has taught me much about the horrors and pleasures of building your own place. An architect/project manager is a must.

Would be very interested to know the outcome of this and hope all concluded well.

sarah t 30-04-2010 17:18

casa de suenous

Hi Eleanor

Yes we did eventually get our villa finished but not by McCallams as the owner died just before completing the build. We finally got things signed off in October 2007, we love the villa and come out for a few weeks each year and rent it out on owners direct the rest of the time. It was not easy to build in Mallorca and we only finalise the electricity next week which will be the end of the work, so from start to finish it has taken 5 very stressful years. I hope that long term it will be worth the heart ache, we love Pollensa and over the past few years we have been holidaying in other countries for our second holiday and have not yet found anywhere that offers the resturants and culture that Pollensa has. But We will certainly not be doing this again ever !!!!.

eleanor 01-05-2010 09:30

Hi Sarah,

I am so pleased that you now have your lovely villa and the nightmare of building hasn't put you off a fantastic place.

My husband as an architect had many dealings with McCallums and it was so very very sad when Danny died.

It is a shame to say that you are not alone with your experience. Building abroad in any Country is obviously not the same as building in a Country where you live and able to really keep a tight grip on what is going on. We are all too aware of the sense of urgency (or not!) of other Countries.
I wonder did you have an Architect or Project Manager?

Anyway - so pleased for you on the completion. I hope you have many many years of happy use and the nightmare will fade into the background.