Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Gommar Goffer
  • 1 Post By jjacks
  • 2 Post By James

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-02-2024, 15:57

Default Carta de Invitacion

I have a holiday home in PP and although we don't rent it out, we do allow family members to use it when we aren't there. I have read newspaper articles about having to prove where you are staying in Spain as we are no longer in the EU and in particular if you are staying in privately owned property, you will require a Letter of Invitation. Can anybody shed light on this. My son and daughter-in-law will be staying in our apartment in June this year and my niece will be there with her friends in August. I'd hate for them to be turned away at border entry for not having the correct paperwork.
Sponsored Links
Old 21-02-2024, 16:49

Can you imagine the border guards asking everyone arriving in Palma for proof of where they are staying. On the UK Gov web site it does say this:

Additional documents required by tourists
If you enter the Schengen area as a tourist, you may need to provide additional documents at the border. As well as a valid return or onward ticket, when travelling to Spain you could be asked to show:

you have enough money for your stay
proof of accommodation for your stay, for example:
a hotel booking confirmation
proof of address if visiting your own property (such as second home)
an invitation or proof of address if staying with a third party, friends or family. A carta de invitation completed by your hosts is one of the options available.
You can visit the Spanish Ministry of Interior website for more information (only available in Spanish).

Last edited by Rockape; 21-02-2024 at 16:54.
Old 21-02-2024, 21:20

I see what you mean, the logistics of border control asking everyone if they have proof of where they are staying, plus if they have enough funds seems a big ask. If you don't have the letter of invitation its a bit of a gamble really.
Old 22-02-2024, 11:27

The letter of invitation is aimed more at visitors from countries that require a visa to come here. At present visitors from the UK do not need a visa and therefore shouldn't be asked for the letter.
Luckyone likes this.
Old 22-02-2024, 11:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacks View Post
I see what you mean, the logistics of border control asking everyone if they have proof of where they are staying, plus if they have enough funds seems a big ask. If you don't have the letter of invitation its a bit of a gamble really.
Well, I'm in an identical situation to you. My friend is staying at my place in June and my daughter and her friend in Sept and I haven't given it a thought. As you know when a few planes arrive at the same time, its tough enough already to get everyone through the airport.
Old 22-02-2024, 14:16

Wrong place

Last edited by Luckyone; 22-02-2024 at 14:19.
Old 22-02-2024, 14:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gommar Goffer View Post
The letter of invitation is aimed more at visitors from countries that require a visa to come here. At present visitors from the UK do not need a visa and therefore shouldn't be asked for the letter.
This is also my understanding. Likely to be last quarter of 2024 or 2025
Old 22-02-2024, 18:41

From what I read on the Web, only those who are resident in Spain can apply for this invitation letter for non-EU people coming to visit.
The resident then applies at the police station for it.

https://www.niebarcelona.com/invitation-letter/
Old 23-02-2024, 08:50

Did a bit more investigation and found this.

ONLY Legal Residents in Spain can apply for this Carta de Invitación for the family or friends they wish to receive in their own (or rented) home or a second home they own here, Non Resident Home Owners can not apply for a Carta de Invitación. The latter can only receive Non EU guests in their holiday home if the property is listed as a holiday rental with the Registro de Turismo and they charge for their stay and provide the guests with a tourist rental contract and confirmation of booking.

Continue reading at https://theonestopproblemshop.com/carta-de-invitacion/| The One Stop Problem Shop

Brexit - the gift that keeps on giving
clinkham likes this.
Old 23-02-2024, 13:11

None of this is new and it’s sadly another case of newspapers including Majorca Daily Bulletin (which should know better but has a tendency to publish negative stories for the sake of causing a stir) regurgitating scare stories for what purpose I don’t know.

The Citizens Advice Bureau wrote about this way back in 2021. It is simply just *one way* of showing that you have accommodation to stay in if a border official requests evidence that you have accommodation. https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/ca...ping-dogs-lie/
Sparky and Lorenzo like this.