Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-09-2020, 09:28

Default Residency question

Looking for some guidance folks. I have done a fair bit of online research and read Bigsal's excellent step-by-step guide on applying for residency.

I have an apartment in PP and intended to move here on retirement. Family commitments have meant this has not been possible either now or in foreseeable
future. However we are spending longer and longer when we are here but conscious of the maximum length of stays permitted. We would like to spend more that 180 days per annum in Spain but will not be living here all the time.

My question is - in these circumstances can I apply for a Residency Certificate?

Are there any particular advantages/disadvantages.

Thanks
Big Sal likes this.
Sponsored Links
Old 23-09-2020, 09:42

Hi Luckjon.
Is it not 180 / 186 consecutive days ??.. ie...if you frequently leave and then return you can stay longer than the 180/186 limit...??
Old 23-09-2020, 13:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckjon View Post
Looking for some guidance folks. I have done a fair bit of online research and read Bigsal's excellent step-by-step guide on applying for residency.

I have an apartment in PP and intended to move here on retirement. Family commitments have meant this has not been possible either now or in foreseeable
future. However we are spending longer and longer when we are here but conscious of the maximum length of stays permitted. We would like to spend more that 180 days per annum in Spain but will not be living here all the time.

My question is - in these circumstances can I apply for a Residency Certificate?

Are there any particular advantages/disadvantages.

Thanks
In general:

1) you can spend 3 months (maximum) at a time without any particular requirement;
2) You can spend 180 days in a year (in several instalments of 90 days max each) without any particular requirement;
3) You can apply for a residency permit if you stay less that 180 days per year, but this is not compulsory;
4) If you spend more that 180 days per year or more that 90 days in a row, you must apply for a residency permit.

Then, you can haggle about 180 or 183 days.

Hope this answers most of your questions.

I am not sure what you mean by residency "certificate"; who do you plan to show it to? The Internal/Inland Revenue Service? For tax purposes?

Or are you concerned about being authorised to live in Spain for more than half of a year, which requires a "permit", not a "certificate".
Old 23-09-2020, 14:19

A friend of mine, who subsecuently decided to reside in Portugal, looked quite deeply into this. He decided that waiting until Brexit was finalised was the best thing to do as at the moment nothing is written in stone.

He was told that a member of a married couple could travel to and fro without any restrictions, if one of them had the TIE permanent residency card. Maybe this would also apply to Luckjon as he must already have a NIE
Old 23-09-2020, 14:43

Could this be of help ?

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=369505450853284
Old 23-09-2020, 19:17

Thank you all for your responses. I think my concerns were triggered by Brexit and thought that there are only a few months of the transition period left. My wife and I love Mallorca and want to spend as much time as we can in PP (Covid 19 permitting).
Old 24-09-2020, 07:50

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com...als-spain.html

Here is some more info, incl. residency.

Quote:
UK Nationals will still be protected by the Agreement, as long as you can prove you were legally living in Spain before the end of 2020, so the Embassy’s advice is to make sure you have documentation (eg. padron certificate, rental agreement, utility bills) to demonstrate you were living here before the end of the year.

If you have difficulties completing your residency application, the UK Government has provided funding to three organisations – Age in Spain, Babelia and IOM – to answer questions and provide practical support. For details of the help they can provide and how to contact them visit www.gov.uk/livinginspain.

The Embassy and Consulates are also running a series of Facebook Live Q&As on different topics related to living in Spain and the actions UK Nationals may need to take. All sessions take place on www.facebook.com/britsinspain and are available to watch afterwards. The current schedule is as follows, although please note that this is subject to change. ...

1 December: 18:00 Residency

For further information for UK Nationals in Spain visit:

www.gov.uk/livinginspain
facebook.com/britsinspain
https://www.lamoncloa.gob.es/lang/en...residence.aspx
see full article on the MDB website
Old 15-12-2020, 15:53

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com...-mallorca.html

Quote:
As you will be aware, the UK Government has funded three organisations in Spain to provide practical support for UK Nationals who are having difficulty applying for residency.

full article, including map and link, see MDB website
Lorenzo likes this.
Old 19-12-2020, 17:30

You should also consider that if you spend 183 or more days a year in Spain you are considered a tax resident and must declare your world wide income for taxation in Spain.
Lorenzo likes this.
Old 28-03-2021, 21:12

Article in todays Sun about people on the Costas being sent home:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/144808...k-within-days/

Best quote without a doubt:
"Shaun Cromber told Global247News: “Yes I voted out, but I didn’t realise it would come to this, my application has been rejected and we are on our way home.

"The wife is in tears, she’s distraught if I’m honest and I’m not too happy at the prospect of returning back to the UK."

And to think we actually give these people a vote.
Old 29-03-2021, 05:14

Bircho,

Without wishing to aggravate their, or anyone else’s problem, to whom are you referring to as “we” ?

Julian
alcanadakid likes this.

Last edited by Julian Simms; 29-03-2021 at 07:15.
Old 29-03-2021, 06:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bircho View Post
Article in todays Sun about people on the Costas being sent home:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/144808...k-within-days/

Best quote without a doubt:
"Shaun Cromber told Global247News: “Yes I voted out, but I didn’t realise it would come to this, my application has been rejected and we are on our way home.

"The wife is in tears, she’s distraught if I’m honest and I’m not too happy at the prospect of returning back to the UK."

And to think we actually give these people a vote.
As Jerome K. Jerome wrote in "Three Men on the Bummel" (published in 1900), experience is cheap whatever price you pay for it.
Old 29-03-2021, 07:21

True, as long as you learn something from it.

I’m still trying.
Old 29-03-2021, 11:29

As an 'imigrant' who registered on arrival 15 years ago I have been paying Spanish income tax (which is alot higher than in the UK) ever since. It is hard to feel sorry for these people who have enjoyed the Spanish life on the cheap and are now reaping the reward.
Sharonh and lollipop like this.
Old 30-03-2021, 20:24

Bircho - are you going to reply to #11 ?