Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-07-2020, 08:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disorderly View Post
Alcanadakid, could I ask you what the procedure was when you arrived. Go to office first? Join back of queue and wait? Are there loos at the Centre? LOL. I’m really grateful for your feedback.
When you arrive you need to park up and go to the office. Do not just join a queue as there are 3 and you will not know which one to be in until you have checked in. As Alkanadakid said, take your passeo and insurance, although I wasn't asked for it.

As far as I am aware there are no loos but I may be wrong.
Disorderly likes this.
Old 31-07-2020, 09:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gommar Goffer View Post
When you arrive you need to park up and go to the office. Do not just join a queue as there are 3 and you will not know which one to be in until you have checked in. As Alkanadakid said, take your passeo and insurance, although I wasn't asked for it.

As far as I am aware there are no loos but I may be wrong.
It was all a bit confusing as cars were queuing on the road. I took my lead from the car in front and got out when I had just got off the road and went to the office where there were about 20 people waiting outside. Initally I thought they were queing for the office, but they were waiting to be called. I joined the short queue for the office and handed over the documents and made a card payment. You then wait outside with the others waiting for a lady to come out with a batch of papers. She calls out the car type and number and then gives you the inspection form. You are then free to join one of 3 queues all of which do the same.

Ideally you should arrive and park in the parking area before going to the office, but when I went that area was full, especially with lorries.

I dont think there are any loos there, and they were very particular about masks as the told me to replace mine with one that they gave me.
Disorderly likes this.
Old 31-07-2020, 17:14

Thank you both so much. I don’t need to do this until April but was mightily confused. Fingers crossed.....I’m sure it will be fine and your advice has been invaluable. Cheers.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:29

It was the first time I had done this myself and it is fairly straight forward. Just allow about half an hour before your time slot to get booked in. TBH I was surprised mine passed!!
Disorderly likes this.
Old 03-09-2020, 16:07

Just failed.
Theres a new requirement been introduced this year to be aware of. Both tyres fitted to the same axle have to be the same make and speed rating so the tyres I had on last year which were ok then are not ok now!
Disorderly and cumberland8 like this.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanscroft View Post
Just failed.
Theres a new requirement been introduced this year to be aware of. Both tyres fitted to the same axle have to be the same make and speed rating so the tyres I had on last year which were ok then are not ok now!
Amazed that a requirement that has been enforced for over 40 years in "safe-driving countries" was not enforced until this year in Spain!
Disorderly and cumberland8 like this.
Old 05-09-2020, 17:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPALCOVER View Post
Amazed that a requirement that has been enforced for over 40 years in "safe-driving countries" was not enforced until this year in Spain!
I may be wrong but I don’t think it is a requirement in the UK
James likes this.
Old 06-09-2020, 18:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanadakid View Post
I may be wrong but I don’t think it is a requirement in the UK
If it isn’t, it jolly well should be. I’ve competed in various forms of motorsport over the years and anything other than a full set of matching tyres, with decent similar tread, is asking for serious trouble. The difference in grip levels and braking distances from one tyre type to another can be staggering, seriously exacerbated by differing tread depths, particularly in the wet.

If you look at the weight of a car, and the forces acting upon it, each tyre actually only has a relatively tiny contact patch.....absolutely not worth taking chances with.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disorderly View Post
If it isn’t, it jolly well should be. I’ve competed in various forms of motorsport over the years and anything other than a full set of matching tyres, with decent similar tread, is asking for serious trouble. The difference in grip levels and braking distances from one tyre type to another can be staggering, seriously exacerbated by differing tread depths, particularly in the wet.

If you look at the weight of a car, and the forces acting upon it, each tyre actually only has a relatively tiny contact patch.....absolutely not worth taking chances with.
Hear, hear! If it is not compulsory in the UK, the birthplace of Formula One and the home of most F1 teams, I just cannot understand why!
Old 07-09-2020, 22:45

Good evening,

Google will reveal all.

To save you time, it has been obligatory for years, and according to a Spanish friend, in Spain as well.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Simms View Post
Good evening,

Google will reveal all.

To save you time, it has been obligatory for years, and according to a Spanish friend, in Spain as well.
i can confirm this has been the case here for years I think just lucky not toget spotted in the past
Old 08-09-2020, 15:09

Whilst not being pedantic, the UK Gov website gives instructions for MOT testing and the only restriction is that cross ply and radial tyres must not be mixed on the same axle.

Mixing of other tyres is allowed.Even standard and runflat tyres are allowed on the same axle, although it is not recommended.There is no mention of mixing tyre makes or speed rating.

I am not disputing the wisdom of using the same tyres on the same axle, just pointing out the legal position
James likes this.
Old 08-09-2020, 17:44

Quote:
Whilst not being pedantic, the UK Gov website gives instructions for MOT testing and the only restriction is that cross ply and radial tyres must not be mixed on the same axle.

Mixing of other tyres is allowed.Even standard and runflat tyres are allowed on the same axle, although it is not recommended.There is no mention of mixing tyre makes or speed rating.

I am not disputing the wisdom of using the same tyres on the same axle, just pointing out the legal position
I must admit that was exactly as I understood it. But lax if you ask me!
Old 08-09-2020, 18:38

Wink

Quote:

MOT in the UK is done by many independent local garages
ITV here can only be obtained at the Government testing stations only 4 on the entire Island . think that explains everything
Old 09-09-2020, 07:32

Quote:

Does this mean it is "legal" to fit one "summer tyre" and one "winter/snow tyre" on the same axle? I'd love to see the result of the braking test (performed as part of the "technical inspection procedure) in that case! Especially on cars not fitted with ABS (but that "option" is now standard on most cars, I suppose).