Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2020, 16:58

Smile Paints for internal decorating.

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help, I'm trying to chose paint colours for some internal decorating in our apartment in PP, does anyone know what paints are available in the port - Jotun/Dulux/Farrow and Ball? Am trying to search on line but can't find anything, I want to look at colour charts but obviously knowing availability of the paints would help. Any info very gratefully received! Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2020, 10:47

You'll find the paints in Mallorca quite different to the brands in the UK. I've never seen a UK brand paint, so shopped around and spoke to people, as the prices are high and quality is difficult to assess.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:00

Many thanks
Old 06-01-2020, 13:31

Pinturas TREBOL (on the back street roundabout near Confort Tenda Xaloc) do a reasonable range of white paints. I swear I saw something slightly colourful once... I've not been in for a while but it used to be run by a lady called Sue who has a legendary knowledge of whats going on in the Port!

Otherwise I'd be heading down to Bauhaus at Marratxi who have a reasonable range...

www[dot]bauhaus.es/pinturas-plasticas-de-colores/c/10001532

You can also find paint at many of the Ferreteria (Plomer, Optimus) and quite a few little shops with Titanlux banners outside.

I've never seen premium paints in spain. You may be better buying a tinting kit off tinternet to create your own colours. The other factor to consider is that spanish paints are often a different constituency to suit the wet walls. If I painted my living room in vinyl matt it would all be on the floor after a month... I paint everything with premium Titanit exterior white emulsion!
Sharonh, Bekki and kazzergardner like this.

Last edited by bobley; 06-01-2020 at 13:38.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzergardner View Post
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help, I'm trying to chose paint colours for some internal decorating in our apartment in PP, does anyone know what paints are available in the port - Jotun/Dulux/Farrow and Ball? Am trying to search on line but can't find anything, I want to look at colour charts but obviously knowing availability of the paints would help. Any info very gratefully received! Many thanks.
sent you a PM
kazzergardner likes this.
Old 07-01-2020, 16:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobley View Post
Pinturas TREBOL (on the back street roundabout near Confort Tenda Xaloc) do a reasonable range of white paints. I swear I saw something slightly colourful once... I've not been in for a while but it used to be run by a lady called Sue who has a legendary knowledge of whats going on in the Port!

Otherwise I'd be heading down to Bauhaus at Marratxi who have a reasonable range...

www[dot]bauhaus.es/pinturas-plasticas-de-colores/c/10001532

You can also find paint at many of the Ferreteria (Plomer, Optimus) and quite a few little shops with Titanlux banners outside.

I've never seen premium paints in spain. You may be better buying a tinting kit off tinternet to create your own colours. The other factor to consider is that spanish paints are often a different constituency to suit the wet walls. If I painted my living room in vinyl matt it would all be on the floor after a month... I paint everything with premium Titanit exterior white emulsion!
Trebol is closed. They have retired.
lollipop and kazzergardner like this.
Old 07-01-2020, 17:00

UK paints are very different to Spanish ones and do not work well here. You may be able to get colours mixed but they may vary in colour a bit. If you need help I opperate a Painting and Decorating business in the port.
Old 07-01-2020, 17:37

Thank you all, much appreciated.
Old 07-01-2020, 18:31

Interesting comments re paint: you can have any colour as long as it's white. I understand that.... and non-local paint degrades quickly.

Possibly 3 or 4 years ago we were ambling back to Singala via Passeig Voramar when we saw a garage door open. Inside was a huge number of 10 litre tins of Farrow and Ball emulsion. Looked like a pallet full ( a transport pallet not a artistic painters pallet )

We haven't been in the large villa attached to the garage, to check out if the quality of F and B has survived the hot weather.

https://goo.gl/maps/kqqvLxXrf8eaMfjv5

Farrow and Ball is on sale at Homebase UK for £46.50 for 2.5 litres
Homebase Brilliant White matt emulsion £8 for 2.5 litres
Johnstones will mix you a F&B colour in one of their emulsions for £15 for 2.5 litres.
Old 09-01-2020, 18:01

Would totally agree with Bobley re the need to use paint which is suited to the damp climate. We didn't, at first, and lived to regret it. The paint we now use internally is damp-resistant - it has an almost plasticised finish (sorry I'm not describing it very well!) and it does help to keep the damp at bay over the winter months. It's widely available both locally (in Plomer) and at Leroy Merlin - just ask for something which resists damp. The benefit of choosing white is that if you do need to touch up the odd area as a result of any mould growing (we find most years we need to do inside the wardrobes and certain areas such as the bathroom ceiling, for example), it's very easy to do this without it being visible. I suspect with a colour you would see the retouched areas.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:34

Its weird to use as well. When Lidl were doing their outside white paint, I bought some as my house needed painting. It goes on very watery looking and doesn't look like it is covering at all. However, when it dries, the colour solidifies and it covers okay. It was nothing like the Dulux Weathershield paint.

The internal white emulsion (I bought in Habitacle, Caan Picafort) was the same. When I was painting my house in PP, I had to use 4 of 5 coats to cover the walls that had been painted in dark green. It was okay on the white walls though.

Last edited by Rockape; 10-01-2020 at 12:49.
Old 30-01-2020, 09:01

Thanks again for all the very helpful replies!
mike_dublin likes this.
Old 02-02-2020, 21:23

That is correct ,the paints in Majorca need to be specific to deal with the climate,Farrow & Ball is considered of a very poor quality in the UK so it definitely fails in Majorca, there are numerous specific paint stores especially in Palma where they can mix any colour.
Old 03-02-2020, 15:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumberland8 View Post
That is correct ,the paints in Majorca need to be specific to deal with the climate,Farrow & Ball is considered of a very poor quality in the UK so it definitely fails in Majorca, there are numerous specific paint stores especially in Palma where they can mix any colour.

Considered by whom exactly?
Old 05-02-2020, 10:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockape View Post
Considered by whom exactly?
Professionals, like me, who had the misfortune of having to use it!

Where possible I would always have the colour mixed in a good quality professional paint, like Johnston's.