Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Living & Working in the Pollensa Area (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/)
-   -   Buying a car in Mallorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/14409-buying-car-mallorca.html)

ricky230 19-10-2019 18:50

Buying a car in Mallorca

Hi all
We've taken the plunge and bought an apartment in Pollenca at last. I want to buy a second hand car, and started looking but its all very different to UK. The sales staff, even at main dealers are so laid back its really odd, sort of "there is the car take it or leave it. I'm off back to my office!" They'd be sacked in 2 minutes in the UK but I'm not particularly criticising it, I think we have gone money mad at home and not in a good way at all. Each to their own....

Anyhow, the second hand cars are generally scruffy, dented not looked after and hugely expensive.EG we saw an 2014 Renault for 6000 that in the UK would struggle to fetch half of that at auction. It was on a forecourt Ford dealer, and had been there weeks without a valet or a wash...as I say odd but amusing to us uptight Brits.
So we will probably go to a main dealer and look for something say 4 years old and in good nick. I wondered what others thought?

alcanadakid 20-10-2019 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricky230 (Post 128156)
Hi all
We've taken the plunge and bought an apartment in Pollenca at last. I want to buy a second hand car, and started looking but its all very different to UK. The sales staff, even at main dealers are so laid back its really odd, sort of "there is the car take it or leave it. I'm off back to my office!" They'd be sacked in 2 minutes in the UK but I'm not particularly criticising it, I think we have gone money mad at home and not in a good way at all. Each to their own....

Anyhow, the second hand cars are generally scruffy, dented not looked after and hugely expensive.EG we saw an 2014 Renault for 6000 that in the UK would struggle to fetch half of that at auction. It was on a forecourt Ford dealer, and had been there weeks without a valet or a wash...as I say odd but amusing to us uptight Brits.
So we will probably go to a main dealer and look for something say 4 years old and in good nick. I wondered what others thought?

Hi Ricky,

Cars do hold their price more than in the UK, and you are right Mallorcians do not look after them in the same way that we do in the UK. To them they are just a means of getting from A to B.

One thing to bear in mind is the ITV (MOT) test which, after 4 years old, is every two years until the car is 10 years old and then it is every year. There are only Government test centres, unlike UK, There is one in Inca, Manacor and Palma. You can take it yourself, but no one speaks English, although everyone is very helpful. Cost is about €90, and the test itself is quite impressive.

When we bought our place we took the plunge and bought a new car, going for the most reliable, which at that time was a Toyota Corolla. We kept that for 12 years, and changed it 4 years ago for an Auris. Although expensive at the time the Corolla did us proud and was a good long term investment. It always started (after long periods away) and never had any mechanical problems and passed the ITV every time.

Insurance - we use Lineas Direct (Spanish Direct Line) as they speak English, but they may not be the cheapest. Usually insurance in Mallorca includes breakdown cover, but double check.

The other thing to consider is where you park it while you are away. Parking at the airport has risen dramatically over the last year, rising from €990 to €1500 per year for 24 entries. There is a Park and Fly offsite alternative but I have no experience of them, although reading the reviews I am dubious.

And finally ... if you get a beautiful shiney car be careful where you park it. Mallorcians are not careful parkers. Our two cars were both scrazed and scratched at Alcampo supermarket, so park well away from others.

Good luck!

JPALCOVER 20-10-2019 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricky230 (Post 128156)
Hi all

Google search "coches de segunda mano" and you will get a list of sources where you can buy direct from the owner (rather than from a dealer).

Then, consider renting if you do not spend a full year in Spain. I typically pay less than 12 euros a day (insurance included) to rent a "small" car (Renault Clio, Ford Fiesta, etc.).
90 days per year will cost around 1,000 € per year, all included.
180 days per year (legal limit it not a resident) will cost less than 2,000 € per year, all included.

Do your numbers and see what is best fo you

ricky230 20-10-2019 11:20

Good advice, thanks for all of this I will have a ponder. Renting can be a pain sometimes, we rented from Inter-rent this time, OMG what a mistake. I avoided Goldcar for obvious reasons but found that this company is actually Goldcar using another name. 3 hours yes 3 hours at the airport as their system crashed, and they had the cheek to say if it went past 4 pm then it times out and we would not get a car!!!!! Needless to say I told them what I thought of that. They were selling their weekly insurance for 350 euros (!!!!!) mine cost £4 for excess cover!!! Rogues.
So that is one big factor in deciding on car rental versus buying. I know there are better companies ( enterprise were excellent) but they re pricey.

cumberland8 20-10-2019 16:30

If buying 2nd hand avoid Fiat,Renault,Citroen, Peugeot,Range Rovers, after a few miles they are all unreliable throw away vehicles as Alcanada says spend a few bob more on a Toyota,Honda etc for trouble free motoring.

fil6699 20-10-2019 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by cumberland8 (Post 128164)
If buying 2nd hand avoid Fiat,Renault,Citroen, Peugeot,Range Rovers, after a few miles they are all unreliable throw away vehicles as Alcanada says spend a few bob more on a Toyota,Honda etc for trouble free motoring.

we bought our Fiat panda 10 years ago very cheep paid 2500 for it and have just changed it . they are bulletproof almost
many cars to be had here and cheap to run just remember that parking here is a shunt and move situation so paying a lot for a shiny car is a bad idea because it will soon be scratched and bumped . Its all part of the thing
All insurance is for all drivers over 25 and a typical 3rd part insurance which is all you need if not paying a fortune for a car is around 300 Euro car tax is annually and not as expensive as UK
long term rental is not a deal because of costs and insurance extras etc and the constant worry somebody will scratch it
Some great local low cost garages in the port for servicing . In short owning a car here is not the same as the UK BUY something cheap and cheerful that will get you around reliably and when you come out of Lidle into the car park and a trolly has dinged it you will not be to upset
beyond doubt one of the best moves we made was buying a car over the years has saved a fortune and if you use ParK and Fly at the airport when you return to UK great service and less than 5 euro a day secure parking.
Do not get carried away thinking you need a luxury car it will probably finish up full of sand from the beach etc etc . You are not driving to and from work every day in it
If you need some help pm i will be happy to help good luck
Als0 worth a note first week november many 3 or 4 year old ex rental cars to be had here at good prices almost all second hand cars on the island are ex rental

ricky230 20-10-2019 18:54

Thanks for this very helpful. Where do the ex rental cars appear? Are they sold to local dealers? We will possibly go for a fairly basic second hand car as the first thing I noticed was that no one seems bothered if they bump a car in the supermarket car park! That included our hire car which we parked 100 yds from anyone...and you guessed it, still got a ding!

Disorderly 20-10-2019 18:56

I largely agree with all the advice though we visited Park & Fly and found it chaotic and really didn’t feel comfortable.

We bought our 18 month old Skoda Fabia Estate for a very reasonable price from Skoda Inca, whose service and servicing costs are great. We choose for convenience to park at the airport on an annual contract that I’ve just renewed at €1,500. Yes, it’s very expensive, but so convenient. 20 mins from plane to car (preBrexit!).

We bought our three bed apartment in PP when I retired in April 2018. We, and our family, have been out every month and the place has had lots of use. So here’s the maths.

Our total annual running costs for apartment and car - £7,500. Villa and car rental for two weeks in summer -£7,500.

We’re very lucky I know but I think in retirement we try to make life as easy as possible.

ricky230 20-10-2019 19:00

Interesting figures. I looked at Skoda, and next time we fly out I'll call to the dealers and have a look. The way the UK weather is that might not be long!!

Disorderly 20-10-2019 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricky230 (Post 128169)
Interesting figures. I looked at Skoda, and next time we fly out I'll call to the dealers and have a look. The way the UK weather is that might not be long!!

You’re not wrong there! Skoda Inca also do Fiat, by the way. The only thing we haven’t done yet (sorted the road tax easily at the office in Pollensa old town)is the ITV (MOT). You book it on line but I gather that when you turn up for your appointment at the test station in Inca there may be a bit (!) of a wait. Overall car ownership works....no car hire damage stress at drop off!

Best of luck. Whatever works for you will be fine. We’re just lucky to have these choices.

Deanscroft 21-10-2019 20:01

You need to be aware that ex-rental cars need an ITV every year irrespective of age.

ricky230 21-10-2019 22:28

I didnt know that thanks.

Do the dealers haggle at all? UK dealers always haggle these days as the industry is on its knees thanks in no small part to B word and Government incompetence over Diesels etc. But in Mallorca I dont want to annoy anyone with my crazy English ways!:)

Julian Simms 21-10-2019 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deanscroft (Post 128181)
You need to be aware that ex-rental cars need an ITV every year irrespective of age.

Deanscroft, are you sure ?

mike_dublin 22-10-2019 07:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian Simms (Post 128183)
Deanscroft, are you sure ?

source: https://moneysaverspain.com/used-cars-spain/
Quote:

Ex-rental cars: Before 20 May 2018, these cars had to pass the ITV inspection after 2 years, however this has now been changed to be the same as other vehicles (after 4 years).

Also, couldn't find anything about this on the Mallorca ITV website -
https://www.serviciositv.es/estaciones-itv-mallorca

As an aside, there was talk about a backlog for ITV inspections in August -
https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2019/...s-in-mallorca/

alcanadakid 22-10-2019 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disorderly (Post 128171)
You’re not wrong there! Skoda Inca also do Fiat, by the way. The only thing we haven’t done yet (sorted the road tax easily at the office in Pollensa old town)is the ITV (MOT). You book it on line but I gather that when you turn up for your appointment at the test station in Inca there may be a bit (!) of a wait. Overall car ownership works....no car hire damage stress at drop off!

Best of luck. Whatever works for you will be fine. We’re just lucky to have these choices.

You can book the ITV online and it would seem that the appointment time covers a number of vehicles. At Inca there are two queues which disappear around the corner. One queue is for diesel and one for petrol. It is worth walking around the corner to check you are in the right queue as it is awkward to change queue once you are in it. Once you get to the shed, you can either try to drive through the various stages yourself - or look helpless and one of the guys will drive it through for you. There are a number of stages as you go through the shed and it is fairly impressive. Once through the, car is parked and you go to the little office and they will issue the ITV sticker and certificate. From the start of the shed to certificate is about 20 minutes. Queueing before hand is probably 15- 20 minutes