Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Sparky
  • 2 Post By Hanser
  • 1 Post By pollensafan
  • 1 Post By Luckjon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2019, 12:44

Default Yellow dust?

Hi!
Just spent another morning trying to remove layers of yellow dust which seems to be coating every outside surface. I have tried brushing, washing and finally using the vacuum. It looks like very fine pollen but seems a bit early in the season. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2019, 13:03
Super Moderator

It has been exceptionally mild of late so i think Spring will be early, hence all the pollen. I know it's a pain but until we have some heavy rain we will just have to put up with it .
El Gordo likes this.
Old 04-03-2019, 15:30

Its a waste of time trying to clear it as Sparky says until we get some heavy rain or wind it is the normal for March.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:14

Perhaps it could be collected and cooked to make a Pollença Pollen Polenta?
pollensafan and bobley like this.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckjon View Post
Hi!
Just spent another morning trying to remove layers of yellow dust which seems to be coating every outside surface. I have tried brushing, washing and finally using the vacuum. It looks like very fine pollen but seems a bit early in the season. Any suggestions?
Sorry if I am low on sympathy, but I have a similar problem here in good old England.

I consistently have to clean all the windows and frames from the black grime that comes from car exhaust's. After one week It's back to square one.

I would willingly swap if I could. At least yours is a nice colour.
Rosie34 likes this.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:16
Super Moderator

This from the DDM explains it :-

Quote:
High concentration of pollen in Mallorca, especially cypress

Since a few days ago, the citizens of Mallorca have been perceiving high pollen concretions in different localities , directly affecting their health , either to a greater extent to those suffering from allergy to it or to any person who feels its effect with different consequences. : cough, shortness of breath or conjunctivitis .

Despite not perceiving the pollen particles at first sight, a quick glance at the cars parked on the street, furniture exposed to the weather or our clothes, is enough to perceive the high level of concentration of cypress pollen in the air , powered by pollutants from vehicles and heating that are increasingly concentrated in urban areas.

Although spring is the season associated with allergies, cypress pollination begins in the middle of winter and for a few years has multiplied by 25 in the air , reaching current levels. The good weather promotes the flowering of the allergenic species and the high temperatures have promoted the current concentration levels , protected by the mild winter that we are suffering. Several species of this family are grown in gardens, hedges or as windbreaks. As typical autochthonous species of bosquines and bushes we have the "ginebrons" and the junipers.

You can read the full story here :- https://www.diariodemallorca.es/mall...a/1397379.html
Old 06-03-2019, 17:58

Thanks for posting this Sparky. As a severe asthmatic I need to be careful and that is why I originally asked if anyone knew it this 'yellow dust' was pollen. I have been coming to Mallorca for over 20 years and I have not seen pollen this thick before (you could even see a yellow/green scum on the sea.)
Sparky likes this.
Old 06-03-2019, 18:15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckjon View Post
Thanks for posting this Sparky. As a severe asthmatic I need to be careful and that is why I originally asked if anyone knew it this 'yellow dust' was pollen. I have been coming to Mallorca for over 20 years and I have not seen pollen this thick before (you could even see a yellow/green scum on the sea.)
Neither of us suffer from allergies but the last week or so we have both had a cough, watery eyes and itchy noses .
Old 06-03-2019, 18:39

Thanks to unseasonably early tree pollen in the UK I’ve started my tablets a month early. Just hoping they work in PP!
Old 07-03-2019, 12:45

This sounds similar to the sand from N Africa, via Spain, that I find on my car in the U.K. every time I wash it during summer. I would much prefer the spring in Pollensa.
Old 08-03-2019, 18:51

Quote:
Sorry if I am low on sympathy, but I have a similar problem here in good old England.

I consistently have to clean all the windows and frames from the black grime that comes from car exhaust's. After one week It's back to square one.
Blimey Pollensafan....does your house back onto the M1 ??