Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-08-2018, 15:28

Default Sky Q

Is anyone successfully using a Sky Q mini-box in PP while their main 1 or 2 TB box is in the UK? I mean exactly as one can use currently a Sky+ HD box on a multiscreen arrangement using a UK account.
Accepting a few issues like Sky wouldn't like it and you cannot get catch-up without a VPN, I'm interested in updating to Sky Q at home in the UK, but only if a mini-box can work in PP.
There is some concern online that the new Q mini-boxes need constant touch with a router whereas with Sky+ HD box, you only need the router functioning for catch-up.
Technical knowledge not great on this so any help gratefully received.
Old 13-08-2018, 15:52

I don't think you can use a Sky Q mini box without the main box. It works off the main box via the wifi system. I have Sky Q at home and can confirm its tricky getting the mini box to work consistently. I moved router angles and now have the mini box standing on its end to work perfectly.

I took my sky HD box to PP and it works on all non pay channels only, despite taking a current Sky card out with me. (the old card works fine)

So your best option is the old technology magic eye with your old HD box I reckon.
Old 13-08-2018, 16:50

I have Sky Q at home and can watch all channels and catch up on an iPad in PP.
Old 14-08-2018, 07:49

We have SkyQ at home, as the lounge and sitting room are quite a distance apart we need two booster devices to keep the signal strong enough.
Old 14-08-2018, 08:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockape View Post
I took my sky HD box to PP and it works on all non pay channels only, despite taking a current Sky card out with me. (the old card works fine)
What size dish do you have? I'm presuming it's a monster to get Sky.
Old 14-08-2018, 09:54

Sky Q mini works off the Sky Q boxes own internal wifi system so it won't work in PP if your main box is in UK.

You card has to be assigned to the box it is inserted in to get the full package so if you have a Sky Q box at home and a Sky HD box in PP it is not as simple as just moving cards. You will need to pair it to the HD box but this is done online so your box would need to be in the UK at the time you pair it or have router vpn.

Not sure if you could possibly take out an additional multi-room subscription if you have a Sky Q box (for instance if you already have 2 multi-rooms as that is the maximum for Sky Q you could make the HD box a third multi-room) and then Sky will send you a new card for it. You will need to make sure the LNBs are the correct ones on your dish in the UK. You could then pair the card and take the box and the card out to PP. Once paired though make sure the wifi is switched off on the box otherwise it will cut you off.

(I know Rockape's dish in PP is large enough as we have discussed previously).
Old 14-08-2018, 09:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanser View Post
What size dish do you have? I'm presuming it's a monster to get Sky.
Fortunately, I have a communal dish, well two to be exact and I had to get Confort round to plug it into the right one. They are big buggers though.

I'd pop into Confort and have a chat about it, they are very helpful.
Old 14-08-2018, 12:11

Thanks all - I think I'll leave it be for the moment and continue with Sky+ HD and my multi-screen arrangement. As it stands, and with a large dish in PP, it is perfect - apart from when it is windy and chucking it down! I can get all my usual channels and with my VPN I get all catch-up TV and simply view through my TV (using Apple TV to connect my laptop to my TV).
No need to rock the boat for now!