Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Sparky
  • 1 Post By Gommar Goffer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-08-2017, 11:53

Default Water bills

Has anyone noticed a big increase in their water bill this year?

August is always our biggest month, but this year was a bit of a surprise when it almost reached €500 for the last two months.

We have lawn sprinkers and a pool, and I used to think that the sprinklers accounted for the majority of the cost, but now I am not so sure. June and July were very hot and pool evaporation could be the culprit.

There are no obvious signs of a leak. Has anyone else noticed a big rise in their bills?
Sponsored Links
Old 14-08-2017, 18:52

I am due a water bill as my previous was dated April 2017, but not yet received. However, my previous e-mailed bill was addressed to a wrong address/person with that persons bank details, not mine fortunately. I'm sure you would have noticed a possible error, but just to flag anyway. My water consumption is on par with what I expect for this time of year.

Last edited by Big Sal; 14-08-2017 at 18:56. Reason: Correction.
Old 14-08-2017, 20:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sal View Post
I am due a water bill as my previous was dated April 2017, but not yet received. However, my previous e-mailed bill was addressed to a wrong address/person with that persons bank details, not mine fortunately. I'm sure you would have noticed a possible error, but just to flag anyway. My water consumption is on par with what I expect for this time of year.
Interesting, we didn't get a bill in the post last time. I thought they may have gone paperless, but it is worth checking. Thanks for the idea. FYI our April bill was normal but June was high and now August is very high. Weather has been very hot this year so pool evaporation could be the reason or the cost has gone up
Old 15-08-2017, 09:59
Super Moderator

I have had a message on FB from a friend who read your post, he says to turn all your taps off and check your meter, if it's moving you have a leak, if not it's possible someone is stealing your water via an outside tap while you are not in residence.
Tommo likes this.
Old 15-08-2017, 13:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
I have had a message on FB from a friend who read your post, he says to turn all your taps off and check your meter, if it's moving you have a leak, if not it's possible someone is stealing your water via an outside tap while you are not in residence.
That happened to friends of ours who had a villa on the outskirts of Puerto Pollensa. They couldn't understand why the water bills were so high, particularly in the Winter when they weren't even there. They flew out on a surprise visit to find the lady who cleaned their villa and the gardener/maintenance man had set up a small unofficial private laundry in the villa's utility room and were washing and ironing bundles of linen and towels from elsewhere. It was particularly shocking for the owners as they felt they had always treated the people concerned very well....but there you go. Lesson learned. They sold the property soon after as they felt so let down by the deception.
Old 16-08-2017, 09:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
That happened to friends of ours who had a villa on the outskirts of Puerto Pollensa. They couldn't understand why the water bills were so high, particularly in the Winter when they weren't even there. They flew out on a surprise visit to find the lady who cleaned their villa and the gardener/maintenance man had set up a small unofficial private laundry in the villa's utility room and were washing and ironing bundles of linen and towels from elsewhere. It was particularly shocking for the owners as they felt they had always treated the people concerned very well....but there you go. Lesson learned. They sold the property soon after as they felt so let down by the deception.
It's not uncommon Lorenzo. I also know that companies used to let properties out without the owners knowledge.
Lorenzo likes this.
Old 16-08-2017, 20:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
We also suspected that our washing machine was being used while we were away, but we changed the keys to the utility to resolve that.
Old 16-08-2017, 20:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
Thanks Sparky, I will do just that. However while we are away all the outside taps have no supply, as it comes from a pump which is disconnected.

I will try your suggestion though.