Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Living & Working in the Pollensa Area (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/)
-   -   Water bills (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/13578-water-bills.html)

alcanadakid 14-08-2017 11:53

Water bills

Has anyone noticed a big increase in their water bill this year?

August is always our biggest month, but this year was a bit of a surprise when it almost reached €500 for the last two months.

We have lawn sprinkers and a pool, and I used to think that the sprinklers accounted for the majority of the cost, but now I am not so sure. June and July were very hot and pool evaporation could be the culprit.

There are no obvious signs of a leak. Has anyone else noticed a big rise in their bills?

Big Sal 14-08-2017 18:52

I am due a water bill as my previous was dated April 2017, but not yet received. However, my previous e-mailed bill was addressed to a wrong address/person with that persons bank details, not mine fortunately. I'm sure you would have noticed a possible error, but just to flag anyway. My water consumption is on par with what I expect for this time of year.

alcanadakid 14-08-2017 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sal (Post 119664)
I am due a water bill as my previous was dated April 2017, but not yet received. However, my previous e-mailed bill was addressed to a wrong address/person with that persons bank details, not mine fortunately. I'm sure you would have noticed a possible error, but just to flag anyway. My water consumption is on par with what I expect for this time of year.

Interesting, we didn't get a bill in the post last time. I thought they may have gone paperless, but it is worth checking. Thanks for the idea. FYI our April bill was normal but June was high and now August is very high. Weather has been very hot this year so pool evaporation could be the reason or the cost has gone up

Sparky 15-08-2017 09:59

I have had a message on FB from a friend who read your post, he says to turn all your taps off and check your meter, if it's moving you have a leak, if not it's possible someone is stealing your water via an outside tap while you are not in residence.

Lorenzo 15-08-2017 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 119674)
I have had a message on FB from a friend who read your post, he says to turn all your taps off and check your meter, if it's moving you have a leak, if not it's possible someone is stealing your water via an outside tap while you are not in residence.

That happened to friends of ours who had a villa on the outskirts of Puerto Pollensa. They couldn't understand why the water bills were so high, particularly in the Winter when they weren't even there. They flew out on a surprise visit to find the lady who cleaned their villa and the gardener/maintenance man had set up a small unofficial private laundry in the villa's utility room and were washing and ironing bundles of linen and towels from elsewhere. :eek: It was particularly shocking for the owners as they felt they had always treated the people concerned very well....but there you go. Lesson learned. They sold the property soon after as they felt so let down by the deception. :mad:

Gommar Goffer 16-08-2017 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorenzo (Post 119678)
That happened to friends of ours who had a villa on the outskirts of Puerto Pollensa. They couldn't understand why the water bills were so high, particularly in the Winter when they weren't even there. They flew out on a surprise visit to find the lady who cleaned their villa and the gardener/maintenance man had set up a small unofficial private laundry in the villa's utility room and were washing and ironing bundles of linen and towels from elsewhere. :eek: It was particularly shocking for the owners as they felt they had always treated the people concerned very well....but there you go. Lesson learned. They sold the property soon after as they felt so let down by the deception. :mad:

It's not uncommon Lorenzo. I also know that companies used to let properties out without the owners knowledge.

alcanadakid 16-08-2017 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorenzo (Post 119678)

We also suspected that our washing machine was being used while we were away, but we changed the keys to the utility to resolve that.

alcanadakid 16-08-2017 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 119674)

Thanks Sparky, I will do just that. However while we are away all the outside taps have no supply, as it comes from a pump which is disconnected.

I will try your suggestion though.