Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Living & Working in the Pollensa Area (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/)
-   -   Bank charges (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/13546-bank-charges.html)

Millipet 16-07-2017 10:44

Bank charges

Hope this is posted in the right place.
Can anyone tell me what their Spanish Bank charges for debit cards held on their account.
Also what their annual charge is for 'Non Residencia' processed through their bank account. We have had some unexpected charges recently at La Caixa Bank, to where our account was transferred after Barclays closed over a year ago.

Lorenzo 16-07-2017 20:13

Unless you hold an 'Expansion account' with Banco Sabadell (paying in 700 euros or more each & every month) , they are now charging a whopping 24 euros per quarter just for having the account and a further 28 euros per year for the honour of having one of their cards.
They are also now charging for using the card for purchases as well, in addition to drawing out money at any other cashpoint. :mad:

Millipet 16-07-2017 20:24

Lorenzo, do you mean all Banks are charging this or is it just La Caixa?

Lorenzo 16-07-2017 21:10

Sorry - these are the Banco Sabadell charges that I am now getting.
It seems very expensive to me....maybe other forum members can indicate a better bank deal for non-residents?

Millipet 16-07-2017 21:53

Thanks for explaining Lorenzo. At the moment la Caixa are charging 12euros a quarter for the account and strangely have charged 28euros on one card and 23 euros on the second card even though we have never used them other than for cash at the machine. Seriously thinking about not having cards at all. Will just have to draw money at the counter instead.
Hopefully, other members will tell us what their banks are charging.

Teacu 17-07-2017 09:44

At Banca March for an account with debit card and passbook (but no interest) I'm charged Eur 32 In February and August and Eur 20 each February.

Gommar Goffer 17-07-2017 11:05

I bank with Santander and get charged about €30 a year for each debit card and various other charges through the year - in total it probably costs about €100 a year to have a bank account and I do not pay much in on a regular basis. I need to look at the cost more closely and see about changing.

Jamjar 28-08-2017 12:47

HI
I'm with Santander too and have recently signed up their 123 account. you still pay charges but provided you have money coming in regularly, at least three direct debits going out, and you make a credit card purchase once per quarter, there are various benefits, including cash back on utility payments. I'm not sure how this compares with other banks.

Shaun&Caro 12-11-2018 20:14

My current account with Bankia has recently introduced new fees. Essentially I have to keep a balance of €5000 (which earns no interest) to avoid a quarterly fee of €15. Debit card attracts a further €28 fee per year. We have various direct debits going out and regular credits coming in.
Very expensive by UK standards. Can anyone suggest a cheaper alternative?
Thanks as always
Shaun

P&C@29 13-11-2018 09:50

Try Santander normally competitive

Golfaholics 13-11-2018 10:41

Try Caixa. Ask to speak to Aina Maria. A lovely girl who speaks very good English. Extremely helpful.

Millipet 13-11-2018 11:21

Golfaholics.
We too bank with La Caixa and can recommend speaking to Anna Maria who is very friendly and helpful, and speaks perfect English.

Gommar Goffer 13-11-2018 13:24

I use Santander in the port and find them very helpful. What I really like is being able to walk in, without an appointment, and sit down and talk to the manager, Alvaro, whose English is very good and he always offers good advice and takes time to listen.

I have just made a bank transfer to an account based in Germany and as I used online banking (with the help of Alavaro because I had messed up my electronic signature, it was free!!

Deanscroft 13-11-2018 18:28

With Caixa you need to use the card to avoid the charges. Also they have different accounts with different fees depending on whether you are resident, a pensioner, and how much a month you are willing to pay in. Talk to Aina to find out which is best for you.

supamac 13-11-2018 18:32

Just changed to Cuenta On account with Bankia after complaining to CEO in Madrid about a 40% increase in debit card charges since last year. With Cuenta On, no fees and no insistence on paying in a fixed amount every month.
Overall we have been very unhappy with Bankia but to change is too much hassle as others want a regular payment which I am not prepared to do because of the costs of exchange.
Overall, the Spanish banks seem to charge outrageous sums to allow access to your cash and are slow to tell you of less costly options.
Good luck!