Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Lorenzo
  • 1 Post By Sparky
  • 1 Post By steve&marilyn
  • 1 Post By nottsbellis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-03-2017, 16:24

Default Dog walking

Hi
This summer my family are bringing over our 2 small dogs to our apartment in PP- wondered if anyone knew where I could possibly walk them off lead. Is there a park or rural part nearby? I really don't mind driving towards Pollensa old town.
Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 22-03-2017, 19:50

Hi there, if they are friendly small dogs (who don't chase ducks??!!) then La Gola would be perfect for them to have a run around off the lead. Access either from Juan XXIII - opposite the big Eroski and just follow the torrent down to the entrance or from the other side, walk up the road past La Gola where all the ducks are, and it's on the left. I think it's got Sail & Surf Pollensa on the corner?
Old 22-03-2017, 22:07

Several dog owning friends living in the port have often told me that they are not allowed to walk their dogs without them being on a lead. They've often indicated that they run the risk of being fined if they are caught without their dog on a lead in public places in the port so I would be very wary about walking in an area like La Gola without your dogs being on a lead.

It might be prudent to check with staff in the Information Centre in La Gola or possibly the Tourist Office in the port just to be sure.
Sparky likes this.
Old 22-03-2017, 23:56
Super Moderator

I am not a dog owner but i think Lorenzo is correct, you really need to check this out.
Lorenzo likes this.
Old 23-03-2017, 09:12

Dogs have to be on a lead in La Gola and they are banned totally from the Boquer valley.
Lorenzo likes this.
Old 23-03-2017, 21:42

I've just typed out a lengthy reply and lost it! Meh! Basically, the best place is the Puig de Sant Marti woods, on the road to Palma just past the roundabout/turnoff to Port d'Alcudia, on the way from PP to Palma, 50m on the left. It's where the 'flying men' jump off the mountaintop with their gliders! Really great to let friendly dogs off the lead, they can mooch about to their heart's content and - provided they don't chase other dogs, joggers or cyclists - they'll be in seventh heaven! Hope that helps.
Old 24-03-2017, 12:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottsbellis View Post
Hi
This summer my family are bringing over our 2 small dogs to our apartment in PP- wondered if anyone knew where I could possibly walk them off lead. Is there a park or rural part nearby? I really don't mind driving towards Pollensa old town.
Many thanks
Please don't be alarmed by the following, it's just to make you aware of some of the different things your little ones may encounter. A site worth checking is Practical Hints to Living in Spain. it explains a few of the things to look out for.
I'm posting this after our friends who live in Menorca once had a dog that picked up a tick infestation in his snout. It was extremely painfully for the poor dog and rather expensive for my mates.
Hope this helps.
Old 24-03-2017, 12:02

The site is Practical Hints to Living in Spain. predictive text ��
Old 24-03-2017, 12:03

Sorry it just keeps substituting my text.
Old 31-03-2017, 14:03

Thank you everyone for your help and info. It does not surprise me that dogs around the Boquer area are not allowed off lead -unsure what they will make of the goats that are in abundance behind our place. I will check out the Puig de Sant Marti woods when I am over next week to sort a few things out, it sounds ideal.
SandySunshine likes this.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:40

I also would agree if you are bringing your dogs out in summertime, you need to make sure they are protected against ticks and fleas and also the sandflies that transmit leishmaniosis. I use Bravecto tablets for tick and flea protection, they are brilliant! Available from vets (the one in Alcudia with the pet shop at the front has them), or they will order them for you in the vet in Puerto Pollensa. You can use either Scalibor collars or Seresto collars - which are longer lasting - to protect against leishmaniosis. These are available online cheaper than they are at the vet.

Don't let all this put you off though. I'm sure they would rather be here with you than in kennels or whatever! Just make sure you take precautions