Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Living & Working in the Pollensa Area (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/)
-   -   The effects of "illegal" renting. (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/13285-effects-illegal-renting.html)

Major Tom 22-02-2017 10:52

The effects of "illegal" renting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomir (Post 117047)
My apartment has fallen through due to the community not allowing renting. Yes I know it is illegal for apartments but it happens!

I can't speak highly enough Will Besga has spent hours of his time. He is not charging me as he knows I will be back. Great bloke and knows his stuff!

I own an apartment and find having my neighbours renting out their apartments very annoying as the hallways get damaged with the constant
movement of people and on occasion excess noise.

This apartment is my holiday home not a crash pad !!

I would like it said at the AGM meetings to all residents that it is illegal,especially the local people running apartments as a business.

lfc 22-02-2017 11:01

Totally agree. Same where we are. A lot of renters don't give a monkeys about others. They see it as their apartment for the week or whatever time they're there with no thought for anybody else.
What annoys me more is that those who rent out in our development don't even have to pay more in community charges so in effect I'm contributing to the extra wear and tear!

Disorderly 22-02-2017 19:41

To be honest, if I'm ever lucky enough to own an apartment in PP I'd only let family and friends use it, and I'd be pretty cheesed off if it was in a block rented to those who "don't give a monkeys about others". Mind you, I also rent apartments quite regularly, so maybe I'm being a touch hypocritical.........ah - but I behave myself and don't disturb the neighbours. Why do some people go on holiday and behave like t******s......its such a shame.

clinkham 22-02-2017 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disorderly (Post 117073)
To be honest, if I'm ever lucky enough to own an apartment in PP I'd only let family and friends use it, and I'd be pretty cheesed off if it was in a block rented to those who "don't give a monkeys about others". Mind you, I also rent apartments quite regularly, so maybe I'm being a touch hypocritical.........ah - but I behave myself and don't disturb the neighbours. Why do some people go on holiday and behave like t******s......its such a shame.

With a name like Disorderly, I think I would be a bit wary, initially, of renting my apartment to you.;)

Dilly17 22-02-2017 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by plackeyman (Post 117060)
I own an apartment and find having my neighbours renting out their apartments very annoying as the hallways get damaged with the constant

I would like it said at the AGM meetings to all residents that it is illegal,especially the local people running apartments as a business.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plackeyman (Post 117060)

I agree
So how do you know when you buy an apartment that your neighbours won't let
It out ?
I mean you Pay Premium for pp
Is it worth it ?

If you get people who rent out and don't care

I can go to mainland Spain for half the price
Why go to PP and end up with this sort of thing
For me
It's Family and friends who you know will respect your neighbours
Other wise it isn't worth paying the premium
Of buying in PP
So how do you know these days ?

Tomir 23-02-2017 06:55

This is one reason I'm selling my apartment to buy another villa. I can do as I like with my villa. I rent the apartment and should be able to do what I want with my own property! At least with my villa I don't need to answer to anyone.
Also not all owners are quiet or respectful of others especially the case if a high percentage of Spanish as they can and often are noisy. Anyone buying an apartment must know that others may not be considerate as expected. A risk you take with apartments. As for premium for PP - well you get what you pay for! A beautiful up market place with something for everyone. If that's not what you want then pay less and go to high rise Benidorm!

Disorderly 23-02-2017 16:54

A high percentage of Spanish owners in a Spanish town? Disgraceful!!! LOL

Benidorm here I come........

Dilly17 23-02-2017 22:08

Well If you compare Prices with Benidorm MrT
They are very little different from PP
I don't know if that's a good thing ;)

Papillon 24-02-2017 09:40

This is always a contentious subject and generates many opposing views.

I used to rent out my apartment but now only let friends and family stay during the summer months, although how other residents know they are not rental guests I don't know. So are those opposed to rentals saying "owners only" should occupy the property.

I think the legal side needs to be sorted as a vast amount of tax is being lost because many don't declare an income as they don't want to advertise they are illegally renting.

The sad thing is that should apartment rental be completely banned in the future then all owners could see a drastic fall in property resale price and even more closures of bars and restaurants.

There appears to be no easy solution which is sad for all concerned.

sws97sdg 24-02-2017 10:28

As someone who has rented peoples apartments and villas for the last 21 years, I do feel slightly annoyed with some of the comments so far. I would say the actual number of people causing issues is very small compared to the large numbers of people who do rent their places out, as has been said this brings a massive amount of money into the local economy. There clearly isn't enough hotel accommodation to cover everyone so what else can be done.
As for it being 'illegal' it only is because the government wont issue anymore licenses to make them legal, as they have to placate the hoteliers who are obviously against this. If they did they would gain much more income from people and renting could be properly regulated to avoid some of the issues mentioned.

ragdollabbi 24-02-2017 10:36

We have stayed in a few rental properties in the Port over the years and would always treat the accommodation like our own.....well probably even better than our own;). It is disrespectful to stay, in what is someone's home and not treat it well and that includes both inside the property and outside too. As we are not likely to purchase a property in the Port we would be very disappointed if there was a ban on rental properties. The income these renters are bringing to Puerto Pollensa must be colossal.

rebel 24-02-2017 10:40

If I purchased in a apartment block with no renting stated in the deeds then that should be upheld as this is the reason why I purchased it.
if people wish to purchase to rent then they should buy in blocks which allow renting.
We all know what we purchased.
It's not rocket silence.

debz1 24-02-2017 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papillon (Post 117103)
This is always a contentious subject and generates many opposing views.

I used to rent out my apartment but now only let friends and family stay during the summer months, although how other residents know they are not rental guests I don't know. So are those opposed to rentals saying "owners only" should occupy the property.

I think the legal side needs to be sorted as a vast amount of tax is being lost because many don't declare an income as they don't want to advertise they are illegally renting.

The sad thing is that should apartment rental be completely banned in the future then all owners could see a drastic fall in property resale price and even more closures of bars and restaurants.

There appears to be no easy solution which is sad for all concerned.

Couldn't agree more with your comments. We too only let friends and family stay at ours and most have young families. In the school holidays I know it gets noisy around the pool but in a holiday resort I think most owners expect this.

The only 'problem' we have every year at the end of the season is a pool full of discarded inflatables! I have never personally experienced a group of 'lads on tour' stay in our block but this doesn't mean there isn't the usual high spirits of people returning after an evening out. Again this is normal and hard to avoid in a holiday resort.

Some people who own property also, and wrongly IMO, rely on money from renting to help pay mortgages on their property. If they weren't able to keep up with mortages and community charges properties could be repossessed and apartments left empty.

Puerto Pollensa does not have enough hotels to sustain the resort, even if they went all inclusive, and this would mean many restaurants would be forced to close down.

It's a double edge sword but what a catastrophe it would be if PP became a sterile place full of A/C hotels and tacky souvenir shops:(

copper 24-02-2017 16:52

If they gave out more licenses surely they could then tax more letting income

We no longer like staying in Hotels and rent apartments every year and leave them as we found them

Where we live in the New Forest there are lots of holiday rental properties and someone told me that where they live in an Edwardian semi it was like having about 30 new neighbours each year ! Lots of rowdy parties and late nights so think there are problems everywhere you have inconsiderate neighbours

Wouldnt be interested if all we could stay in would be a Hotel all inclusive We eat out every day buy everything locally and with the high charges for beach beds feel we own a few by now !

The person whose sale fell through becuse of a clause in the lease has my sympathy because he had let it for years but also I can understand the people withdrawing who found this out as if paying your mortgage was dependent on this it would be risky Were officials not calling at villas a couple of years ago and checking with whoever was staying there if they had rented it ??

lollipop 24-02-2017 17:01

I think one of the problems lies with the government not agreeing to formalise the renting of properties. However my apartment is in a block that was built for residential use and that is what it should be( it isn't) as rebel pointed out in his post. But I also agree with debz1 about needing rental money to pay the mortgage. Changes are afoot and lets hope it gets sorted out soon, and then everybody will be liable for taxes.