Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-03-2017, 09:51
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel View Post
Hi Sparky
I'm sorry it might be in the name (rebel) but the port is first.
You are right on the hold fire, this thread should be removed as I feel this type of thread on illegal renting must not rent you'll get fined from Facebook pages is not informative it's just speculation what might be I know nobody that has been fined in the port and feel this can only add to people not booking holidays and adding a negative situation on the port.
Rebel, at the moment it is illegal to rent without a license, if caught owners can be heavily fined and i have heard that some people on the island have been, that is fact not speculation. We will have to wait to see what (if any) changes are made in the proposed new law.
James, lollipop and driftwood like this.
Old 26-03-2017, 12:05

People are fined - couple of years ago 2/3 owners in our apartment block where fined after a visit by the tourism officers - not sure this department exists anymore but there used to be a system in place for reporting illegal renters. Rules seem to change every year so we will wait and see!
Tomir likes this.
Old 26-03-2017, 19:16

I am totally confused by all of this! Always rented from private renters as I have again for this year, are they legal or illegal....I don't know, do I have to ask before I pay my balance in case there is trouble ahead? I remember a few years back there was talk on here about officials knocking on doors of apartments advertised for rental and holidaymakers faced with questions, can't remember the complete story but remember thinking at the time "I will take my chance" and keep my fingers crossed....do I find myself in the same situation again this year now that this ludicrous situation has risen again! I totally get it about lack of rentals for locals, I really do but this situation has to be resolved sooner rather than later as it is very off putting for potential visitors.
copper, rebel and Tangoman like this.
Old 26-03-2017, 19:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfc View Post
Totally agree. Same where we are. A lot of renters don't give a monkeys about others. They see it as their apartment for the week or whatever time they're there with no thought for anybody else.
What annoys me more is that those who rent out in our development don't even have to pay more in community charges so in effect I'm contributing to the extra wear and tear!
I give a monkeys! Also hope there is no noisy residents in the building!
debz1, sws97sdg, copper and 1 others like this.
Old 27-03-2017, 12:33

As I said before I don't rent my apartment but allow friends and family to stay when I am not over in PP and they contribute about £100 a week to cover cleaning, linen and utilities. Am I still regarded as a renter as nobody is aware who the people staying are and are we now moving to a situation where only owners can stay.
There is never going to be an easy solution and I can see my friends being harassed by the the thought police determined to bankrupt the town.
debz1, pansy potter and Tomir like this.
Old 29-03-2017, 20:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillon View Post
As I said before I don't rent my apartment but allow friends and family to stay when I am not over in PP and they contribute about £100 a week to cover cleaning, linen and utilities. Am I still regarded as a renter as nobody is aware who the people staying are and are we now moving to a situation where only owners can stay.
There is never going to be an easy solution and I can see my friends being harassed by the the thought police determined to bankrupt the town.
I would think that others would assume you are renting papillon. They would see people arriving and leaving with suitcases and would have no idea they were friends or relatives. It's a hard one. I for one hope this ridiculous situation comes to an end soon. Pollensa is a holiday resort and so it would be expected that apartments are available to rent. I've sold mine as I can't be bothered with the fight anymore. My villa rents for 3 times the amount and I have no aggro or anyone on my back.
pansy potter and Papillon like this.
Old 29-03-2017, 22:20

It's simple: If you advertise, you're renting.

If you don't want to get fined, don't advertise.
its cd and debz1 like this.
Old 30-03-2017, 09:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomir View Post
............... I've sold mine as I can't be bothered with the fight anymore. My villa rents for 3 times the amount and I have no aggro or anyone on my back.
Have you managed to secure a licence or did the villa already have one?
I'm sure members would be interested.

My FlickR Photos
Old 30-03-2017, 20:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Have you managed to secure a licence or did the villa already have one?
I'm sure members would be interested.
It had one as the previous owner applied.
Old 31-03-2017, 06:53

I had a rough time by some when I tried to warn what was coming. I know links are not allowed but this is important.

https://majorcadailybulletin.com/new...y-rentals.html
Tommo likes this.
Old 31-03-2017, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham View Post
It's simple: If you advertise, you're renting.

If you don't want to get fined, don't advertise.
I think we are all well aware of the obvious Graham, you are missing the point I was making which was how can you tell who are rental clients and who are my guests?
My property is occupied for 12 weeks over the summer by me and friends and family, I just don't want them to be hassled because some other owner thinks I am renting my apartment.
debz1 and pansy potter like this.
Old 31-03-2017, 19:58

Quote:
I had a rough time by some when I tried to warn what was coming. I know links are not allowed but this is important.

If this is passed on Apartment rentals knowing the Spanish it will be villas next.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillon View Post
I think we are all well aware of the obvious Graham, you are missing the point I was making which was how can you tell who are rental clients and who are my guests?
My property is occupied for 12 weeks over the summer by me and friends and family, I just don't want them to be hassled because some other owner thinks I am renting my apartment.
I think this is as much about tax aviation as it is about lack off rental for the seasonal workers.
if one of you neighbors reported you, I would have thought all the they will do to check is Look at your annual declared tax for income from renting to friends and family that will reflect the 12 weeks income at €100 per week. So don't think you would have a problem unless they feel the declared value looks to be to low as they do in the uk.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:04
Super Moderator

Quote:

Seems like this story was reported prematurely, from the MDB today :-

Quote:
Palma administration divided over holiday rentals
The issue of holiday rentals in Palma has the potential to create considerable conflict between the ruling parties at the town hall.

The announcement by the Més deputy mayor for the model of the city, Antoni Noguera, that he wishes to ban rentals has not been welcomed by PSOE. The reaction by the party at the town hall reflects that of the party as a whole. Tourism councillor Joana Maria Adrover (PSOE) says that the party rejects Noguera's proposal, preferring specific solutions and not prohibition.
Adrover adds that Noguera was speaking in a personal capacity, as his position has not been agreed by the ruling administration. "It is not ethical to blow one's own trumpet in making announcements. To be responsible is to announce measures once the work has been done."
Full story here :- https://majorcadailybulletin.com/new...y-rentals.html
lollipop and Peggy1 like this.
Old 11-04-2017, 16:45

Interesting discussions here. I saw this article today so it seems there is a change on the horizon perhaps?

Airbnb ban threatened as Majorca struggles to cope with hordes of tourists
SENOR CIGAR likes this.