Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2018, 15:28

Default Someone been in our apartment ??

We re just back from 10 days in PP , we ve not been since October 2018 so switched our gas electric and water off. On arrival a couple of things were slightly odd for example a white mark on the sofa and food I would nt buy in the cupboard ! Today we got the water bill and see that in March / April 8 units of water have been used ! ( All the other months are nil ) As you can imagine we are quite miffed. We have changed the locks and again switched off all the utilities.The apartment is up for sale so an estate agent has keys, we will be telling him our concerns. Has anyone else experienced any strange happenings ?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2018, 15:45

A few years ago a friend of ours arrived at the start of the season without telling his normal contact who had keys he was coming, he walked in to find someone eating a meal it turned out the contact had been renting out the apartment for three months!
lollipop and pansy potter like this.
Old 09-05-2018, 16:26
Super Moderator

I have heard many similar stories over the years .
lollipop, Carol and pansy potter like this.
Old 09-05-2018, 17:20

You need to ask yourself who else had keys. Even caretaking agents as well as estate agents have made ghost rentals. Many years ago we had a similar problem and on another occasion found people in our apartment who said they had the owners permission! For this reason we are the only people that have keys other than our administrator who may need to get in in an emergency. If your estate agent is the only key holder they need to be confronted with your meter readings.
pansy potter likes this.
Old 09-05-2018, 20:04

If you have Internet then you can monitor your property remotely. I have these door sensors as well as temperature and humidity for about £100. That said, I completely trust my service people; I'm a bit needy and just like to feel 'closer' to PP!

Mobile Alerts
pansy potter likes this.
Old 09-05-2018, 20:47

Thank you for all your replies and suggestions , it certainly has given us a shock and something to think about and wonder how many times it may have happened in previous years when we have had people keeping an eye on it and servicing it . We would nt have noticed the extra water etc as the place was busy with friends and family. Our cleaner knew exactly when we were there or my daughters family and friends etc so knew the empty weeks !! Like you Hanser we completely trusted our service people ! So now unfortunately it’s trust no one !!!
Carol likes this.

Last edited by pansy potter; 09-05-2018 at 21:28.
Old 09-05-2018, 21:15

Sorry to read your post. Gives me food for thought.

I'm going to go and stick a security camera in my suitcase ...
pansy potter likes this.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:46

Wow, I'd be more than a bit miffed, but if the Agent denies any knowledge its a tricky one!
Old 10-05-2018, 12:59

I really don’t think it’s the agent, these locks were changed in July when we used a cleaning company so a cleaner employed by them could have had a set cut ? You have no idea how many cleaners are employed and if they are just seasonal workers that come and go or long term employees.
The locks have been changed again so hopefully no more goings on ! The estate agent knows they are the only ones who have a key but we ll still keep an eye on the utilities and my neighbour who lives there aware that no one should be in there until we are again !!
Old 10-05-2018, 17:04

The only fail safe solution is to get a contract with a security company where a coded number is needed to enter, and leave, the property.

This in itself won’t stop people coming and going, it will though send you a text every time somebody has entered, and left, the property.

It’s the only real way to check on the cleaning company and agents, as they are prone to telling their clients that they have shown the property, when this is many times not true.
Old 10-05-2018, 20:05

A Netgear Arlo Q camera is about £130 and only needs a web connection. No other hardware. It's HD, you run the app on your phone. It pings your phone whenever it sees something move. It records it all and if someone does come in you can also speak to them directly through the camera. It scares the daylights out of my kids when they come in from school and the wife hates it so much that I've now put it in the garage.
James, cumberland8 and Hanser like this.
Old 10-05-2018, 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobley View Post
A Netgear Arlo Q camera is about £130 and only needs a web connection. No other hardware. It's HD, you run the app on your phone. It pings your phone whenever it sees something move. It records it all and if someone does come in you can also speak to them directly through the camera. It scares the daylights out of my kids when they come in from school and the wife hates it so much that I've now put it in the garage.
Ring have a similar system, we have a full monitored alarm inside the villa which also has cameras and we have the ring system which covers the patio/pool area, as Bobley said you can see on your phone any movement.
Old 10-05-2018, 23:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobley View Post
Care should be taken using new technology .........

(in deference to the embarrassed father, no names no pack drill )
From The Times (no less) "A father who spied on his daughter’s house party was punched in the face after rushing home to confront a teenage boy who had been kissing her. He used a smartphone app to monitor his home’s CCTV system while his teenage daughter threw what was supposed to be a girls-only party.He was punched in the face by the young man and is believed to have suffered a broken nose and black eye. "
Old 11-05-2018, 18:38

How awful �� I haven't changed the locks since buying my place at the start of the year. I think I'll be making this a priority in June! ��
Tommo likes this.
Old 11-05-2018, 19:29

I have had this problem in the past. I think it is fairly common. The temptation to earn a bit of extra rent or free accomodation is too easy!
pansy potter and Tommo like this.