Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 23:10

Default How important is air con in a finca? Long term rental fell through

We had agreed a long term rental on a finca, only to be told a few days ago that they couldn't rent it to us as they also had a contract with a villa rental company.

We are moving to Mallorca around 1st Feb, and now don't have anywhere to live, so we're flying out tomorrow to look at another finca.

Looks great in the pictures, but one thing that is a concern is that whilst it has central heating, it doesn't have air con.

It's an old style finca building, so I imagine it is designed to be cool, but wondered if July/August times it may be an issue.

Any feedback gratefully received.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2017, 00:08
Super Moderator

I personally am not a fan of aircon, we have lived without it in our rented apartment for 7 years, we rely on fans, open windows and closed shutters .
Lorenzo and Dan Ashton like this.
Old 06-01-2017, 00:22
Banned

Old fincas were designed without air con in mind so they have thick walls and small minimal windows to keep the heat out. It's only Brits and other Northern Europeans who want the light and sun coming in!
I'd have thought that windows open, shutters closed and fans would keep them cool?
Have you thought about portable air con units? Probably the only place you'd really need them is in the bedrooms and maybe then only in mid summer.

We certainly couldn't survive in our modern bright/light apartment that is pretty much south facing without air con.

Hope that helps.
El Gordo and Dan Ashton like this.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:28

Central heating, especially if gasoil (diesel) based, is far more important.

I do though find it unusual for a finca to have central heating and not air-conditioning units.

Maybe the "central heating" is basically a few electrical heaters screwed onto the walls.

Good luck.
Dan Ashton likes this.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:50

We used to rent an apartment which had huge picture windows and was like an oven and we had to use the fans all night

We now rent another apartment which is much more on a Spanish design with shutters everywhere and by leaving the windows open it has a lovely draught through it We might miis the sea views all the time but much better to be cool !

So I think it is the design which is important
Dan Ashton likes this.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:07

I would agree, we rented 6 or 7 fincas and villas around Pollensa over the years, in July and August, and I think most didn't have aircon, if they did we never used it, I would say it would be more important to have heating over aircon through the winter.
Please keep us informed of your progress, we too are looking to rent a finca when we finally get to move over, I have been looking for ages at options and I understand that most people do not want to rent out all year as they can make so much more money in the summer months, but hope you are successful in finding something else.
Dan Ashton likes this.

On island time!!
Old 06-01-2017, 10:42

Heating is much more important. It is freezing today!

We have a large modern house with a lot of glass, and just have air conditioning in the bedrooms. We use this mid June to early September and then not at all the rest of the year. The only time it is essential for us would be mid July to the end of August.
Dan Ashton likes this.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:56

Air con is not good for your health. We only ever use fans in the height of the summer and windows open with shutters closed (we are on the ground floor)
Lorenzo, driftwood and Dan Ashton like this.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:19

We also prefer to use fans rather than air con and as others have said keeping shutters closed or blinds closed in the day is far better for you . I hope everything works out ok for you
Lorenzo and Dan Ashton like this.

Eating Out
Old 07-01-2017, 14:09

Thanks everyone for your feedback, it's really helped.

When we saw the finca yesterday afternoon, it was very cold inside, so it confirmed that the heating is the most important thing.

Signed on the dotted line there and then, got the keys, and move in one month!

I'm sure we'll have more questions, very much appreciate the support from this forum.
debz1, sws97sdg, Sparky and 4 others like this.
Old 07-01-2017, 14:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws97sdg View Post
I would agree, we rented 6 or 7 fincas and villas around Pollensa over the years, in July and August, and I think most didn't have aircon, if they did we never used it, I would say it would be more important to have heating over aircon through the winter.
Please keep us informed of your progress, we too are looking to rent a finca when we finally get to move over, I have been looking for ages at options and I understand that most people do not want to rent out all year as they can make so much more money in the summer months, but hope you are successful in finding something else.
I agree that there is limited choice, and it is also budget dependant. Around Pollensa and the Port the type of finca we wanted (and have got!) can be found a lot cheaper in other locations, from what I have seen.

Despite our first choice falling through, we are really happy with what we have signed up for - beautiful quiet location near the mountains and woods, and only five minutes from Pollenca.
PP76, sws97sdg, Sparky and 2 others like this.
Old 07-01-2017, 20:31

That's good news. What sort of central heating does it have ?
Dan Ashton likes this.
Old 08-01-2017, 19:11

It's got radiators in each room, with a thermostat. It uses gas oil, as does the gas cooker.

Water from it's own well.
sws97sdg likes this.
Old 08-01-2017, 22:21

The gas cooker uses diesel ?
Dan Ashton likes this.
Old 08-01-2017, 22:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molt de Renou View Post
The gas cooker uses diesel ?
Ha, it's a good question! It has a gas cooker, isn't hooked up to the mains, the landlord said that the only bills were for the electric, and to purchase "gas oil", so I've made the assumption (although I hadn't really thought about it) that must be where the cooker gets it's gas from.

Guess I'll find out in four weeks!