Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2015, 11:31

Default Bank Account

Does anyone have any up-to-date information on bank charges for opening and maintaining an account in the Port?

I am thinking of Sabadell or Santander and I would like the the bank to have online banking facilities in able to monitor the account from the UK.

Any experiences, good or bad for any banks in the Port would be useful.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2015, 14:43

We have an account with La Caixa in the Port and use their online banking every day and never have a problem. We transfer money from our UK HSBC account and it costs £4 for £2000 and arrives the next working day. This is an HSBC charge, there are no La Caixa charges. For other charges we pay about €60 a year to La Caixa. All our standing orders go out of this account.

We did have a problem when we bought our house and ended up paying thousands of euros to La Caixa because it was a very large sum. If you are doing this then you must do your research otherwise you could end up the same.

For day to day banking La Caixa are fine.
Old 02-03-2015, 17:34

We bank with Sabadell but not sure of costs with non resident accounts as we are resident and have pensions paid in. They have online banking which is very user friendly .
Sparky and pansy potter like this.
Old 02-03-2015, 17:47
Super Moderator

We are with Santander but as Lollipop says it's different for residents, they also have online banking.
Old 02-03-2015, 18:32

Thank you for the replies Alkanadakid, Lollipop and Sparky.

I will give La Caixa a miss as I would be using the account for a property purchase.

Do you have an email address for the local Santander branch, Sparky and the local Sabadell branch, Lollipop?

Any non-residents willing to share their annual bank charges?
Old 02-03-2015, 20:06

Hi. We are non residents and we bank with Bankia. For every day running costs, as long as we have €2000 in our current account we do not pay for any direct debits. However if we make a payment via a bank transfer, or a cheque we are charged €1.50 each transaction.

We have one debit card with this account and this costs €19 per year.

Also, we need to sign a form at the bank every couple of years for non resident tax purposes - otherwise our account gets taxed. We completed the form one year but were still taxed - upon contacting the bank they could find no trace of our completed and signed form so we had to complete another one and unfortunately we couldn't claim the tax back. Always now a date in the dairy to remember!!!

I would say their online system is average - a little on the slow side. There is an English option, but if you speak Spanish I am sure the web site is easier to navigate.

We haven't transferred any large sums of money since we purchased our property 11 years ago but we will need to transfer a substantial amount soon and I will need to contact the bank to see what, if any charges they will make. So sorry, can't help you with what fees they charge for a large transfer.

Bluejr77
Old 02-03-2015, 20:11

We bank with sabadell , no problems at all , great staff very helpful , like most banks in Spain you get charged for everything , we re non residents so not sure how it differs for residents .
Old 03-03-2015, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariquita View Post
Thank you for the replies Alkanadakid, Lollipop and Sparky.

I will give La Caixa a miss as I would be using the account for a property purchase.

Do you have an email address for the local Santander branch, Sparky and the local Sabadell branch, Lollipop?

Any non-residents willing to share their annual bank charges?
The mistake we made was not researching the incoming bank charges which are negotiable. I think this applies to all banks. We were charged 0.5%, but I am sure we could have negotiated it to almost zero. We only discovered it after the event when it was too late. Obviously exchange rate is very important but be careful of money transfer companies as they are not regulated by the FSA, and you risk losing the whole lot.

We are non resident too.
Old 03-03-2015, 16:12

Mariquita, if you search sabadell.es or sabadell bank, you will get the option to choose English and you will find information on their various accounts.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:54

Good morning,

Our Law Firm is very used to help Non Residents with the bank account opening and in order to provide all the information and expenses.

We have some contacts in several Banks and we would be delighted to assist you regarding this issue.

Just contact us: info@illeslex.com

Best regards,
Old 20-04-2015, 00:36

We bank with Sabadell, and we're pleased we do. We are non-resident, and have their Key Account costing €24 a quarter, which means (almost?) all of our banking is free - no charges for incoming transfers from the UK, outgoing transfers within Spain (& EU?), cheques, card payments, standing orders etc. We've been using the account a lot so this fee structure suits us very well.

The only additional charge we have incurred has been for a bank draft for our house purchase. This charge came as no surprise - everything has been transparent, the people in the bank in PP are charming and speak excellent English, and the online banking is in English and is very easy to use. Recommended.
pansy potter likes this.
Old 20-04-2015, 16:34

Default Banks in PP

Can anyone tell me where Sabadell Bank is in PP?
Old 20-04-2015, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millipet View Post
Can anyone tell me where Sabadell Bank is in PP?
Google Maps shows the office on C Joan XXIII

Banco Sabadell - Oficina de Port De Pollença

http://goo.gl/maps/7ERZM
Old 21-04-2015, 10:42
Founder

I think that Banco Sabadell used to be called Solbank. We used to have a Solbank account but it was actually part of Banco Sabadell. They were always very helpful there although I think that the original manager Stefan may no longer be there. It's more or less opposite Celler La Parra restaurant.
Old 21-04-2015, 12:13

Thanks to all who shared their banking experiences. We did open an account with Sabadell and so far we have been happy.
Our apartment purchase is due to complete today and Sabadell were very helpful with all my email queries to them.