Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-06-2016, 13:30

Default What a disaster!!

Just had a phone call from our solicitors in the Port. There has been a major leak in the apartment above us that has come through to ours and then to the ground floor. Trying to deal with the insurance company as we speak - so much bureaucracy and red tape. Can't seem to get them to understand that we need someone to go in and assess the damage. Any advice from owners would be very much appreciated at this stage. We are not due out until 6 July and I am not at all sure if we will be able to stay in it.
Sponsored Links
Old 21-06-2016, 13:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacks View Post
Just had a phone call from our solicitors in the Port. There has been a major leak in the apartment above us that has come through to ours and then to the ground floor. Trying to deal with the insurance company as we speak - so much bureaucracy and red tape. Can't seem to get them to understand that we need someone to go in and assess the damage. Any advice from owners would be very much appreciated at this stage. We are not due out until 6 July and I am not at all sure if we will be able to stay in it.
We had a leak during the winter and I got Mick Cadwell, Cadwell Developments to firstly assess the damage before I spoke to the insurance, he later did a wonderful job.
Best Wishes PP76
Old 21-06-2016, 13:49

check your pPrivate Messages
Old 21-06-2016, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP76 View Post
We had a leak during the winter and I got Mick Cadwell, Cadwell Developments to firstly assess the damage before I spoke to the insurance, he later did a wonderful job.
Best Wishes PP76
Many thanks for this PP76. AFter I have a clear idea of what is going I I will contact him.
Old 21-06-2016, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandeMimosa View Post
check your pPrivate Messages
I have sent you a reply

Regards

JJacks
Old 21-06-2016, 16:39

Surely your solicitors should be dealing with this.

In theory, your insurance broker should be notified immediatley and they in turn should notify their perito ( damage assesor ) who will then tell the insurance company how much they estimate the company can claim from the company who insured the property which caused the damage.

I would highly reccommend not replacing or repairing anything before this has been done.

If there is any dispute about amounts to be paid etc, let the companies fight it out between themselves.
Old 21-06-2016, 16:50

Do you live in a community with an administrator. They will help.
Old 21-06-2016, 16:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molt de Renou View Post
Surely your solicitors should be dealing with this.

In theory, your insurance broker should be notified immediatley and they in turn should notify their perito ( damage assesor ) who will then tell the insurance company how much they estimate the company can claim from the company who insured the property which caused the damage.

I would highly reccommend not replacing or repairing anything before this has been done.

If there is any dispute about amounts to be paid etc, let the companies fight it out between themselves.
We have contacted our insurance company and asked them to liaise with our solicitors.
Old 21-06-2016, 17:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollipop View Post
Do you live in a community with an administrator. They will help.
I have emailed the community administrators for their advice, but haven't heard back yet.
Old 21-06-2016, 17:02

When something similar happened in our block, the managing agents (in our case Siquier Gestions) sorted out a lot of the problems, using a plumbing company they had on call & also contacting the owners of the apartment above.
In some cases pipework in a block of apartments can be deemed as the responsibility of the block's Community and therefore it is a matter for the Community's insurance.
It's always a good plan to try to get someone to take photos of all the damaged areas each week so you have a good record of proof.
I do hope you get it all sorted out quickly & that all is well for your next visit.
Old 21-06-2016, 17:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
When something similar happened in our block, the managing agents (in our case Siquier Gestions) sorted out a lot of the problems, using a plumbing company they had on call & also contacting the owners of the apartment above.
In some cases pipework in a block of apartments can be deemed as the responsibility of the block's Community and therefore it is a matter for the Community's insurance.
It's always a good plan to try to get someone to take photos of all the damaged areas each week so you have a good record of proof.
I do hope you get it all sorted out quickly & that all is well for your next visit.
Hi Lorenzo, We are due out on 6 July for 3 weeks but really would like to get a plan in place before then. Our solicitors have the keys and I am hoping they can be called upon to liaise with all the relevant people. I will ask them if they can take some pictures of the damage. I was so looking forward to coming out for our very first visit in our own place. It kind of takes the excitement away.
Lorenzo likes this.

Last edited by jjacks; 21-06-2016 at 17:09. Reason: spelling
Old 21-06-2016, 17:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacks View Post
We have contacted our insurance company and asked them to liaise with our solicitors.
My opinion is that it should be the other way round.
Old 21-06-2016, 18:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
My understanding is that the community insurance only covers the pipework and drains that go from the meter or meters to where it enters or exits the property.

Anything before the meter is covered by the service supplier.

It is also worth poining out that not all policies cover the damage which occurs due to a leak in your own property, only covering damages caused to third parties.
Old 21-06-2016, 18:15

Without trying to sound too pessimistic, try and find out what actually caused the damage, in other words, was it due to a tap being left on or was it due to a corroded water pipe.

It it was a tap, you are in luck. If it was a corroded water pipe, expect sooner than later for the same thing to happen to you if the previous owners didnīt change them since the building was first built.
Old 21-06-2016, 18:44

Thank you everybody for your help and advice - I really do appreciate this forum. Things are moving in the right direction. Apparently the damage is not too bad in our apartment, so we will follow up again tomorrow with the community administrators, insurers and solicitors.

Will keep you posted.

Jan
Lorenzo and car77 like this.