Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By ab11
  • 2 Post By jjacks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-06-2016, 08:18

Default IB Red internet

I have read a few threads about IB Red and we think this may be suitable for us. We only need internet when we, or family are in the Port and won't need a landline. Do we need a landline for IB Red? Could any body give me an up to date review? Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 14-06-2016, 09:53

We have this and no you don't need a landline. If you go to Comfort they talk you through the process and its very quick and easy to set up.

Connection speeds are pretty good but can slow in the evenings at times or in incliment weather however never enough to stop you browsing but may limit streaming.
I've streamed Netflix and SkyGo no problem using IB Red in the apartment.
Old 14-06-2016, 10:30
Banned

Interesting thread.

May I ask ab11 about set up and ongoing costs?
I totally agree about using Confort, they seem to have a very good name and I've bought several electrical items from them.
Old 14-06-2016, 11:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Interesting thread.

I totally agree about using Confort, they seem to have a very good name and I've bought several electrical items from them.

That was my next question. Secondly, I have read that they install a 'box' on the outside of the property. I am on the first floor, would this have to go on the roof and would I need permission for it?
Old 14-06-2016, 11:20
Banned

You'd almost definitely need permission from your community, probably not regarding planning though?
Again, good question and can anyone provide an answer please?
Old 28-06-2016, 11:19

One advantage of IBRed is that you can have the service for only 6 months of the year - however this is a six month block. You keep switching it on and off.
Old 29-06-2016, 10:30

Hi guys, sorry haven't been on the forum recently but I'll try my best on these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Interesting thread.

There is a yearly fee that we pay for the 6 months, 12 months are also available. I'm 99% sure that for your first year it is higher as you pay for the installation on that as well. The benefit of the 6 month deal is that you're not paying for the months you're not there in winter however it also lets you add one month at a time as well if you use the apartment for say 8 months.
The yearly fee also includes callout/ support that we've only had to use once when the signal needed reset and the Techician from Confort was there within hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacks View Post
That was my next question. Secondly, I have read that they install a 'box' on the outside of the property. I am on the first floor, would this have to go on the roof and would I need permission for it?
A small satellite dish is required on your property that will need a line of sight to point to the microwave sender which (in our case) is on a hill in the direction of Puij Major but I believe different locations are available or they can even 'bounce' the signal off buildings if a direct line of sight isn't available; your installer should help with this. Its quite surprising looking around how many of these small dishes there are out there.
Our dish then has a small local box below it and they run a cable from there to a router in the apartment so you'll need to ensure that you have roof access or somewhere to mount the dish as well as access for running cables from the dish to your apartment.

As before, we used Confort who talked us through the process and pricing so I'd highly recommend taking 15 mins and discussing with them. Installation took a few hours as we had a difficult cable route to our apartment and also didn't want exposed cables in the hallways.

Hope that answers your questions.
jjacks and Nick like this.
Old 29-06-2016, 12:27

Thanks ab11. I will pop into Confort next week and have a chat.

Jan
debz1 and Pina like this.
Old 29-06-2016, 18:55

We had Ibred for a couple of years but gave up last year. Had problems with speed and lack of connectivity, we paid for 3mb but normally achieved max of 2 with constant complaints from guests about lack of service. Rumour is they expanded too quickly and couldn't provide a reliable service especially with many trying to use for Internet TV. Hopefully things will have improved this year.

Couple of points, you own the router in your property but the router/aerial on the roof belongs to Ibred so if you cancel after 6 months they will remove it and you pay to have it installed for the next 6 months. Too much hassle with the owners of the roof terrace to get access so stuck with the annual charge.

Because the aerial has a router incorporated it is paired with the router in the apartment so DO NOT reset it as you will lose the pairing and Internet. Pedro from Confort will then need to reset the system for you.

Good luck I hope it works for you.