Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-02-2016, 22:14

Default Help please for a new owner!

At long last we have bought a villa between the old town and the Port. Now the realisation of where do I go from there has got home! Can anyone help me please?

I need to rent the villa and with all the websites available I haven't a clue which to choose. I would like to rent right through the summer. Any recommendations please?

I also need someone to do the cleaning and laundry when rented. I have looked at ideal but they are so expensive. I'm not sure if I should try to find a local person or am I leaving myself open to being let down?
I would be grateful for recommendations.

Also I need a handyman type of person for odd jobs including changing a couple of taps and decorating. I might need a new sink you. Maybe a builder looking for few hours work? Would like to keep the costs down.

Any help or advice would be grateful
Thanks Very much

Chrissie
Sponsored Links
Old 20-02-2016, 23:25

Hi Chrissie
Congratulations on your purchase.
I have sent you a pm with some ideas.
Tomir likes this.
Old 21-02-2016, 17:20

Hi Chrissie. I have sent you a pm. Good luck !!!!
Tomir likes this.
Old 22-02-2016, 13:04
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomir View Post

I also need someone to do the cleaning and laundry when rented. I have looked at ideal but they are so expensive. I'm not sure if I should try to find a local person or am I leaving myself open to being let down?
I would be grateful for recommendations.
Do remember that as well as using a local company or individual for cleaning etc., you need someone to provide keys and a local contact, preferably available 24/7. When we carried advertising for rental properties, I was often contacted by guests who had difficulty contacting the owners or local contact when they arrived or during their stay.

For rental websites, if you advertise with HomeAway they will be listed on puertopollensa.com/holiday-rentals.html
Sparky, lollipop and Tomir like this.
Old 22-02-2016, 14:03

I am going to stay out of this conversation other than to say that, in my humble opinion, if you employ someone to work in or on your property, and that person should have an accident that should need medical attention and wasnīt insured by you or the company they worked for, you will wish you had never purchased the property in the first place.
Euromart Express likes this.
Old 23-02-2016, 08:44

Thank you for your help. I've received a couple of pm's from members too which has really helped so thank you.
I also understand that good insurance is essential and that has been taken care of. It will include people working at the villa.

I'm still stuck deciding where to advertise. Thanks Pollensa for suggestion. Home and away seem very expensive. I wasn't aware pp.com took ads anymore? I'm have tried to find past posts on this?

Please can anyone help me with suggestions on good sites to try. I need to rent and don't want to miss the market by leaving too late. I've been in touch with a few agents but to be honest they want far too much commission!

Many thanks again for help

Chrissie
Old 23-02-2016, 10:39

Quote:
Thank you for your help. I've received a couple of pm's from members too which has really helped so thank you.
I also understand that good insurance is essential and that has been taken care of. It will include people working at the villa.

I'm still stuck deciding where to advertise. Thanks Pollensa for suggestion. Home and away seem very expensive. I wasn't aware pp.com took ads anymore? I'm have tried to find past posts on this?

Please can anyone help me with suggestions on good sites to try. I need to rent and don't want to miss the market by leaving too late. I've been in touch with a few agents but to be honest they want far too much commission!

Many thanks again for help

Chrissie
Chrissie, a normal private insurance is not enough. You will have to inscribe her in your name in the Spanish national health service, with all what that entails.

And to do this you will have to be registered in Tourism, which will then "allow" you to pay the corresponding taxes.

Molt
Old 23-02-2016, 12:03

Getting scared now!! I have no problem paying any relevant tax. I've just spoken to the insurance company and I am insured up to a million for anyone working on my property. I will be taking people on not on a permanent contract so they will be as good as self employed.
Old 23-02-2016, 13:20

Quote:
Getting scared now!! I have no problem paying any relevant tax. I've just spoken to the insurance company and I am insured up to a million for anyone working on my property. I will be taking people on not on a permanent contract so they will be as good as self employed.
In that case they will have to be insured themselves with the Spanish social security as "autonomos".

Not trying to be difficult, but you are liable for anyone who works in your property and ALSO whilst they are coming and going to it via the shortest route.

You will also have to pay them the equivalent of 30 days holiday a year PLUS the equivalent of two extra months bonus, one in July and one in December all based on the amount of hours they work for you during a certain period of time.

The social security cost in Spain is around 40% of the basic salary plus these bonuses and also including all the paperwork that goes with it such as pay slips, submitting their tax every three months and other bits and bobs.

Of course you can take on staff and pay them by the hour, but is it worth it ?. I sometimes doubt it.

This is one of the reasons why the service industry over here seems so expensive.

Molt

Last edited by Molt de Renou; 23-02-2016 at 13:41.
Old 23-02-2016, 13:36

Hi Chrissie - I know it seems daunting at first - it did for us too - but it's a decision you will not regret!

I am sending you a PM re rentals, costs etc.
Tomir likes this.
Old 23-02-2016, 13:43
Founder

Quote:

You are right in that we don't take direct advertising anymore. Instead we display list of adverts provided for us by HomeAway - this is the list you will now see on our Rentals Page puertopollensa.com/holiday-rentals.html

By the way, if anyone is looking for rental adverts previously advertised on PP.com - they are listed here puertopollensa.com/list-all-properties & include the link to HomeAway if they are now on that site.
Old 23-02-2016, 19:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molt de Renou View Post
In that case they will have to be insured themselves with the Spanish social security as "autonomos".

Not trying to be difficult, but you are liable for anyone who works in your property and ALSO whilst they are coming and going to it via the shortest route.

You will also have to pay them the equivalent of 30 days holiday a year PLUS the equivalent of two extra months bonus, one in July and one in December all based on the amount of hours they work for you during a certain period of time.

The social security cost in Spain is around 40% of the basic salary plus these bonuses and also including all the paperwork that goes with it such as pay slips, submitting their tax every three months and other bits and bobs.

Of course you can take on staff and pay them by the hour, but is it worth it ?. I sometimes doubt it.

This is one of the reasons why the service industry over here seems so expensive.

Molt
To add insult to injury, you will also have to pay her if she works on any of the 14 annual local or national bank holidays ( fiestas ).

If she is off ill, you are obliged to pay her her full salary for the first 9 days. After 9 days you pay her less, but the government knocks it off your Social Security bill.

And last, but not least, when you terminate her contract, you will have to pay her 12 days salary for every year she has worked for you.

Welcome to Spain and itīs labour laws !

Molt
Tangoman likes this.
Old 25-02-2016, 08:48

Thank you for your help and suggestions. I nearly ran to the hills I must say! So much to think about and organise. Still need to decide how or where to advertise. Thanks everyone for being so helpful.
Old 25-02-2016, 11:23

Hi Tomir - I take it you have managed to get a licence to rent out to tourists?
El Gordo and Lorenzo like this.
Old 25-02-2016, 20:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gommar Goffer View Post
Hi Tomir - I take it you have managed to get a licence to rent out to tourists?

Oh???? Is this a must? How do I get one?

Do all those renting apartments have them?