Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-01-2015, 17:36

Default Up to date info on property conveyancing solicitors

Hi,
We're coming out to PP on 4th February to view some apartments and wondered if any of you could recommend a good solicitor to guide us throught the conveyancing/purchase.
So excited!
Sponsored Links
Old 25-01-2015, 19:43
Super Moderator

Hi Alex there are some local solicitors on this link :- Puerto Pollensa, Mallorca (Majorca) - Property Services .
Old 25-01-2015, 20:27

Default Solicitors

Hi Alex
We have purchased twice in the port and found the estate agents gave us good advice and guidance on the purchase and solicitors, it is in there interest, they accompanied us to set up bank account sorted out all the standing orders for rates, gas, electrics, etc. all part of the service at no cost to your self. Any problems or queries we had six months later they sorted out with no fuss.
Good luck with your viewings.
Rebel
JMD40 likes this.
Old 25-01-2015, 21:37

I am very sorry to have to disagree with rebel but we too have bought and sold in PP twice. I believe rebel may have been lucky with the experience but I would on no account pass over any important transactions to the agents. We are very friendly on a personal level with one of the local agents and please believe me when I say that you should get independent advice and not use the services of the agent. Yes of course it is in their interest - they earn 5% commission from a sale. They also earn commission by recommending banks etc too. Be very careful. I can not stress high;y enough the importance of independent legal advice. There are a number of good solicitors in the Port most advertise on this site. It is worth paying a few extra euros for their services to ensure all as it should be.
alcanadakid and Lorenzo like this.
Old 25-01-2015, 23:16

Hi Eleanor
When I said ask your agent it was on a recommendation of a solicitor.
The agents we used delt with a lot of information we requested and recommended the solicitor we used, that was not luck it was doing your homework.
Rebel
JMD40 likes this.
Old 26-01-2015, 11:00

Many of the agents do their own legal bits and many are tied in to certain solicitors. We have first hand knowledge of what goes on and how things work and certainly besides this knowledge we did our homework too.

To ask an agent for their recommendation is not getting independent advice it is more than possible that you are being pushed towards a solictior where the agent will have some sort of gain. The same applies to bank accounts.
The best advice in my opinion is to ask the question to people on sites such as this one. The best independent advice you can get!
Lorenzo and Euromart Express like this.
Old 26-01-2015, 14:21

Hi Eleanor

I would highly recommend Oscar Coll from De La Cruz-Coll, who advertise on this site under the 'Property Services' section. He speaks fluent English - always a bonus in these matters! - and is super-efficient and a pleasant, no-nonsense kind of guy who gets things done. My husband and I used him when we purchased our house in Puerto Pollensa and were very impressed.
its cd, debz1, eleanor and 1 others like this.
Old 26-01-2015, 14:23

Sorry, just realised it's Im'alex I'm replying to, sorry!
eleanor likes this.
Old 26-01-2015, 14:36

Hi Sandy Sunshine, we have always used Tony De La Cruz. I believe Oscar is his partner. We found Tony excellent and again can recommend.
Golfaholics likes this.
Old 26-01-2015, 17:57
Banned

I think there are two distinct parts to the question here. I can't see any problem atall with an estate agent helping you set up direct debits, banking and getting services put on etc. Indeed, unless you're fluent in Spanish, know where to go and know the area their help is invaluable. How else would you sort things out?

However, I think it is massively unwise to use a solicitor recommended by an estate agent because of impartiality. This goes for any firm in any country. You do not know the relationship between the two. Ideally you should use an estate agent outside of the area you're buying in or one who comes highly recommended, including speaking your native language.

This is my opinion of course but I think it's wise. After all, it's a massive investment in a foreign country you're making. Don't buy a property abroad with a "holiday head"!
its cd, debz1, El Gordo and 3 others like this.
Old 27-01-2015, 08:31

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. Much appreciated and always welcome! Will keep you posted.
Sparky and eleanor like this.
Old 10-02-2015, 18:47

We used Tirso Tarrago for our recent first-time purchase, and I can't recommend him highly enough. He really took time to explain the process, what to look out for, why certain things are important and so on. His communication - always in good English - was truly excellent throughout. It really felt like we had someone looking out for our interests at all times.

Our estate agents didn't recommend a solicitor, but said they could if we needed one. We preferred to make that decision ourselves, for reasons others have stated in this thread. We started by going through this forum and elsewhere to gather a few recommendations, contacted several of them, met two in person and chose Tirso. And we're really pleased we did. We've used him on a couple of lesser things since, and his advice and level of professionalism have been impeccable. A big thumbs up from this quarter.

Good luck with your purchase!
eleanor likes this.
Old 10-02-2015, 21:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpaulanoah View Post
I think there are two distinct parts to the question here. I can't see any problem atall with an estate agent helping you set up direct debits, banking and getting services put on etc. Indeed, unless you're fluent in Spanish, know where to go and know the area their help is invaluable. How else would you sort things out?

However, I think it is massively unwise to use a solicitor recommended by an estate agent because of impartiality. This goes for any firm in any country. You do not know the relationship between the two. Ideally you should use an estate agent outside of the area you're buying in or one who comes highly recommended, including speaking your native language.

This is my opinion of course but I think it's wise. After all, it's a massive investment in a foreign country you're making. Don't buy a property abroad with a "holiday head"!
I know it may be impractical when abroad, but when I as a commercial property agent in Scotland am approached by potential tenants or purchasers to recommend a solicitor to act for them on the other side of a deal, I always give details of three, and tell them to make contact, discuss their requirement, and go with whoever they feel comfortable with. That way it's out of my hands.
JMD40 likes this.
Old 11-02-2015, 18:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We used Tirso Tarrago for our recent first-time purchase, and I can't recommend him highly enough. He really took time to explain the process, what to look out for, why certain things are important and so on. His communication - always in good English - was truly excellent throughout. It really felt like we had someone looking out for our interests at all times.

Our estate agents didn't recommend a solicitor, but said they could if we needed one. We preferred to make that decision ourselves, for reasons others have stated in this thread. We started by going through this forum and elsewhere to gather a few recommendations, contacted several of them, met two in person and chose Tirso. And we're really pleased we did. We've used him on a couple of lesser things since, and his advice and level of professionalism have been impeccable. A big thumbs up from this quarter.

Good luck with your purchase!
We used Tirso too and we rate him very highly.He did some work for our friends too and they had the same experience.
Submariner likes this.
Old 11-02-2015, 20:10

I agree that if possible one should use a solicitor from another area, ie. Inca or Palma as they are less likely to be close friends/family or neighbours of one of the parties concerned in the transcation.
Lorenzo and cumberland8 like this.