Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-07-2013, 17:05

Unhappy 'Illegal Renting' - The Other Side of the Story.

I own an apartment in a residential block with a communal pool. It has less than 20 apartments and all owners know that it is and always has been illegal to rent commercially. The reason for my purchase is that it is classified and was sold as a residential development.
Now 5 are rented and I sit in my garden flanked by 2 of these.
'Renters' - most have little or no respect for other owners. They have high occupancy and often have friends in. Often they take all the sunbeds. make excessive noise and 'colonise' the swimmimg pool breaking most of the rules. I find it almost impossible to enter the swimmimg pool as these 'renters' do not request their children to behave and stop their bad behaviour. Their retort usually is ' We are on holiday and have paid good money' and then they become aggressive when challenged. Coming in drunk, taking bottles around the pool, leaving rubbish, generally being noisy - the list could be endless!
To be told by rental owners that 'it is only for 3 months of the year' or I will only rent to 'nice people' is frankly unacceptable.
It is during the summer months when my family and I come so every year it is the same old story. I wait with trepedation every weekend when the new arrivals come.
I am in a community where we are now taking action and have had a visit from the Ministry of Tourism. Our community waits to see what action will be taken.
As an aside - our family have been coming to Puerto Pollensa for over 25 years and we love the place - unfortunately our lives are being spoilt by what is going on in our community and probably in many others.
driftwood and Tetley like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 28-07-2013, 18:10

I sympathise Carol. We do not rent our house, but some of our neighbours do and we are always on tender hooks as to their behaviour. Most of the quotes you make echo our own experience.
A supposedly "nice family" turned out to be renters from hell and spoilt the peace for everyone in the road.

Maybe we now have a solution to our problem, if the renters are doing it illegally.
driftwood likes this.
Old 28-07-2013, 19:36

There are always two sides to a story and you make some very valid points. One wonders how your complex will be in a few years after some owners have been fined €20000 and are unable to pay community charges and cannot sell their property. If you want to see the final effect go to mainland Spain and see for yourself.
It is a difficult problem but I feel using this legislation to resolve the issues is not the way.
Old 28-07-2013, 19:36

I sympathise, too. This is a different side of the story and does perhaps get overlooked. Points well made, Carol.
Carol and sunnyboy like this.
Old 28-07-2013, 20:00

I understand both sides of the argument, if suddenly a large number of apartments/villas were no longer available to rent then the knock on effect will be felt by the business community, restaurants, taxi drivers etc which is not good for any of us whether you rent or not, also if the airlines don't have as many passengers coming to the island, less flights!
However if like me you do not rent then as Carol has said renters can be a pain, to be fair the majority are fine. What does annoy me is when the owners who rent expect every rule to be followed when they are present but then expect us to put up with renters who ignore the rules and do as they wish.

PP76
driftwood likes this.
Old 28-07-2013, 20:26

When this situation first got publicity, I posted my views on tax evasion, which has obviously taken place. In addition, I now understand that various rules have been flouted and I would just like to ask those that are foreseeing the demise of tourism in PP as we know it, do you support the illegal activity or, if not, how would you suggest the "illegal renters" pay their rightful dues.
Old 28-07-2013, 20:51

I do sympathise with you Carol, and of course it must be awful if people are rowdy, untidy etc. around what is your own property but I do not agree that all renters are like that. We have rented on numerous occasions from 2 different owners in PP and I can say in all honesty that I probably treat their property better than I treat my own. As a "renter" I would also be upset if I had people renting in the same apartments who were being disrespectful, but I think that to say that "'Renters' - most have little or no respect for other owners." is incorrect. I agree that some may be like that but I am sure that it is probably in the minority. I stand to be corrected if this is not the case
favie, Belladonna, Lorenzo and 3 others like this.
Old 28-07-2013, 20:56

Quite simple Tetley you issue a temporary licence for 2 years then on renewal insist on full disclosure of rental income and certified tax paid before a new licence is issued.

There are always many ways to solve a problem.

After owning a property for over 10 years I would like to rent my apartment next year to supplement my pension and provide a little income after paying my way, I can't legally do that at the moment due to the refusal to grant more licences.

For some to suggest all the noise problems are created by the renters are in denial. I am regularly kept awake by the residents kids and friends round the pool late at night, or the children of non renters thinking they own the place. The constant barking of one of the residents dog is another problem. Do I care.....no, I am in a fabulous holiday destination and love every minute I spend in the Port.

If it became a issue I would propose the administrator introduce a system of a community fines for constant offenders, but that then would apply to all residents both owners and guests.

Anyway got to go now my neighbours kids are driving me mad kicking a ball against my fence. Can't wait to be back in the Port.
favie, Belladonna, Lorenzo and 3 others like this.
Old 28-07-2013, 21:08

Lol Papillon You have made some very good points here offering a good compromise.

You are also very correct that you can not generalise regarding noise and locals can be just as guilty as making noise as anyone else for that matter.

I agree totally with Ragdollabbi in that not all renters can be classed as noisy rubbish leaving drunkards with no respect for others and it would be insulting to suggest that be the case. Ok there are always a few and as Papillon says owners can be just as guilty here too.

This is a very emotive subject and is bringing varied responses but the bottom line must be that we all have a love of PP and for all to work together to ensure it is a place we all like to be.

Last edited by eleanor; 28-07-2013 at 21:10. Reason: spelling error
Old 28-07-2013, 21:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillon View Post

"Anyway got to go now my neighbours kids are driving me mad kicking a ball against my fence. Can't wait to be back in the Port."
Lol....Yep, Papillion regardless of where you buy good neighbours or quiet ones are not guaranteed...my sister had to move house because neighbours rented out to noisy students, it's the luck of the draw, be them the owners themselves or renters!
Like ragdollabbi, we always respect apartments that we rent in PP and neighbours would hardly know that we are there apart from saying a friendly hello....but there is always the exception unfortunately!
This law is been enforced because Hoteliers have been complaining that they are losing business......well that is what I have read on numerous websites today! Greedy aren't they!!:
Old 28-07-2013, 21:46

Thanks for your comments Papillon but what I was asking is what you do about the unpaid accrued taxes that the "illegal renters" have evaded. As to the future, I agree, issue a temporary permit and only re issue a full permit after a trading year and at the time all current dues are paid. Before anyone asks, In my view, the temporary permit should only be issued after all arrears of tax have been settled up to date. I do not agree with excessive fines.
Old 28-07-2013, 21:59

I think that some of you may be missing Carol's point as she states that her apartment is located in a RESIDENTIAL block. My understanding is that a tourist licence would never be granted to any owner of a property that is classed as residential so therefore commercially letting would be illegal within this community. Am I correct?
Carol likes this.
Old 28-07-2013, 22:12

Nothing this is Spain, tax evasion, under the table payments, black and white deals have been rife for years. Nobody would be interested in opening that can of worms.

It's what is best for Puerto Pollensa in the future that is important.

I also think the term "illegal renter" goes a bit far, I would prefer the term "owners who have been denied the opportunity to obtain a rental permit"
Old 28-07-2013, 22:14

I completely agree with you Carol. Illegal renting should be stopped. If you want to have a rentable property then don`t buy in a residential area and pay your taxes!
Carol and driftwood like this.
Old 28-07-2013, 22:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillon View Post
Nothing this is Spain, tax evasion, under the table payments, black and white deals have been rife for years. Nobody would be interested in opening that can of worms.

It's what is best for Puerto Pollensa in the future that is important.

I also think the term "illegal renter" goes a bit far, I would prefer the term "owners who have been denied the opportunity to obtain a rental permit"
Thats a nicer way of saying Illegal Renter!