Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree11Likes
  • 5 Post By Lorenzo
  • 3 Post By eleanor
  • 1 Post By Deanscroft
  • 2 Post By kate1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 23:45

Default Advice on buying an apartment please.

Hi,
Been out to PP several times in recent years and now already twice this year and again due out in July to look at buying an Apartment.
Can anybody help with info on areas in PP to avoid due to any problems, only serious comments please.
Also more importantly any recommendations of good solicitors for property purchase.Also any pitfalls in buying.
All comments much appreciated.
JandJ
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2013, 10:12

Default Advice on buying an apartment

Good luck in finding a place in Puerto Pollensa which you really enjoy going to.

I'm sure that there will be lots of useful suggestions on this topic but here are my first few thoughts.....

Do try to visit the area out of season and even in the winter so you can see what the area is like then. It's a good way to see if you really like the area you have chosen all year round. Security out of season can be an issue so check that all access to the property is as secure as it possibly can be.

When you have chosen a place, I would thoroughly recommend getting all documents translated into English. Even if you speak good Spanish it is still a good plan to do this so that you can be sure of the details of your Spanish Deeds. It's best not to rely on the local solicitor to do this as I know of one friend who discovered to his later cost that an essential paragraph was missing from the so-called translation he had been given by the local solicitor and he lost the bar he thought he had bought as a result.

It is also a good plan to check that no-one else has a right to use the property. Long term residential lets tend to allow people long term rights and even if the place appears empty, it might be good to check that no-one else has the right to use the place. This might appear a bit 'over the top' but I have a friend in Puerto Pollensa who lost half his property through this 'oversight'. As they say - 'caveat emptor'!

Also, enquire about running costs for your apartment block as you will probably have to pay your share of these. They are often much dearer if there is a communal swimming pool. Ask to see the bills from the 'gestor' so you can be sure that you factor these in. It might be worth checking also if the block is due for outside redecoration as this is usually a pretty hefty bill and can be a bit of a shock if you have only just bought your place.

Hope that this helps and good luck in your search for your apartment!

Last edited by Lorenzo; 04-06-2013 at 10:14.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:24

Brilliant information Lorenzo. I would also add to only ever use an independant solicitor and do not be talked into using any that have been recommended by an estate agent.

Also if you intend to rent your property then do check that you are allowed to. There are blocks in the Port that do not allow this. Do not accept the usual 'oh but everyone does it and it's ok' - We have heard a few tales where it isn't ok and the owner had to sell as he expected the rent to cover his costs.

Certainly agree with lorenzo re visiting out of season especially the winter months as I remember thinking the first time I visited in winter that it felt like the lights were off and no one told me!

I would also suggest that July may not be a good time to look for a property as your viewing will be minimised by the season. You can't really view when someone is on holiday in the property. I think the end of the season or early April May is a good time. Some people put their property on the market at the end of the season hoping not to carry it through the winter. Just a thought!

Another consideration is 'black money' - at one time it was the norm to have declared values and the rest in a carrier bag - literally! Be very aware if you are asked to do this as you could find yourself in trouble! Good luck!
animagic21, Lorenzo and kate1 like this.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:41

I would just add to the previous comments that alot depends whether you are looking to buy an apartment to use for holidays or if your long term intention is to move here. Many apartments here are built for summer use and are very hard and expensive to keep warm in the winter.If you want to use it in winter check for some means of heating (avoid on-peak electric heaters as they cost a fortune to run) and look for double glazing. Also a community swimming pool can be attractive for holidays but if you live here the noise they attract can become very wearing.
Lastly - re the previous comment about renting. It is true that some Community Rules forbid this but as from last July it is now also illegal to offer any apartment that is part of a Community Agreement for holiday lets. You can be fined purely for advertising it!
lollipop likes this.
Old 18-06-2013, 10:18
Founder

You will also find details for a couple of solicitors here Puerto Pollensa, Mallorca (Majorca) - Property Services and a good selection of Sales Agents here Apartments, Villas for sale in Pollensa, Mallorca Majorca including some Private/Individual Properties For Sale

Good Luck & let us know how you get on.
Old 18-06-2013, 12:09

I haven't heard that there are any particular areas to avoid in terms of crime, but some are obviously more attractive than others. Personally, if I were buying in the Port, I would focus on the Llenaire and Gotmar areas as these are both attractive and feel 'lived in' out of season. There are also some lovely apartment blocks at the Illa d'Or end of the Pine Walk. Some of the larger apartment complexes do seem a bit desolate out of season - as Lorenzo says, it's really important, when buying in PP, to make sure you like it all year round and that the amenities will be sufficient for your needs, as quite a lot of things are closed out of season.

We have had a couple of break-ins over the winter, when gangs roam the island looking for unlocked gates/shutters etc, so make sure that the apartment is as secure as possible, with lockable windows, shutters etc. I would also fit a burglar alarm - that said, PP is as safe as most places in Europe.

Deanscroft makes a very good point about heating! If you don't have some form of heating you will find that your apartment becomes quite damp over the winter months. The Mallorcans take this as a matter of course and seem just to paint over the damp bits when Spring comes - but it can be annoying to turn up in April and find that all your bedding, towels etc are grey with mould. To combat this we leave a window open during the winter (with the shutters locked) so air can circulate - but obviously this has security implications.

Sorry if this all seems a bit negative - just trying to point out some of the issues to bear in mind. If you do decide to buy you won't regret it, I promise!
Lorenzo and eleanor like this.