Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By kate1
  • 2 Post By whaleywanderer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 14:48

Default PP Schools Contact Email/Web Address

Hi

Please can anyone advise the name of the Primary Schools in PP and Pollensa. If you have contact email address or web address that would be great too. I am unable to trace them on the web.
We are looking to move to this area soon and would like to contact the schools for some information. Any thoughts/opinions that you may have on the schools would be appreciated. if you can tell me the typical school week/ school hours that would be fab too.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2013, 15:42
Super Moderator

Sorry i can't help with email or web addresses but here are a couple of phone numbers, both in the Port :-

Centro de Educacion Infantil y Primaria Miguel Capllonch 971 866 591.

Col.Legi Public Port de Pollenca 971 866 129.

For times and term dates this link should give you a rough idea http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...tes-times.html.
Old 13-06-2013, 09:36

Thank you.
Old 13-06-2013, 11:36

If you find any information, I'd love to know too. We're planning on moving towards the end of the year (if our house sells!)
Old 13-06-2013, 23:07

Hi Codex

I emailed the Col. Legi Public Port de Pollenca as could not find email address for Miguel Caplonch. I have attached a copy of response. Hope it is of some use.

*****Regarding to your questions, let you know that the School Term for next year is from September 13th to June 20th. Christma's and Easter are holidays time, too.

Children starts at 9am and remains at the school until 1:30pm (Monday - Friday).

In Port de Pollença, there are other children arriving from many different countries and they need to get used to the new language. There's a programme to introduce this other language to the new pupils. One language support teacher is going to intensively teach your children to allow them fully participate through all the activities of their classroom as soon as possible. However, from the very beginning, and in order to maximize integration with the other pupils, they will be placed in the main classroom and only some hours during the week, they will be attended by the language support teacher. CEIP Port de Pollença is a public school and most of the public schools do it the same way.

You can visit the school whenever you want, you just need to advise us to allow the Head Teacher arrange a meeting with you to see whether there are vacancies or not on your arrival, discuss all your needs, and to show you the school.******
Old 14-06-2013, 06:26

LDG, thank you, great help. Be interesting to know how many children are opting to be taught in Spanish rather than Catalan. In a lot of ways I'd prefer that our children were taught in Spanish as it would be of more use if they left the island, but I suspect it's still mainly Catalan.
Old 14-06-2013, 12:05

Hi

I think I would prefer mine to be taught in Spanish too . If they are taught in Catalan I am sure the still have to learn Spanish too but dont quote me on this. I am concerned my kids will find this really confusing! Are you moving to PP or Pollensa? I haven't made up my mind yet and it would be great to have other opinions.
Old 14-06-2013, 16:46

I know someone who relocated to PP and her son attended the local secondary school - he was indeed taught mostly in Catalan but Spanish was used in the playground - and for sports lessons etc, so you do indeed need to know both languages Very confusing for the child and I think he did struggle at first (as anyone would!) He was older though and primary school age children do seem to pick languages up much more quickly.
Sparky likes this.
Old 14-06-2013, 16:48

To be honest it'll depend on what rentals are available when we're able to move. We need to sell our house to release some equity before we can move over, but I can work from anywhere with an internet connection, so there's really no definite time scale for us. I wish it could be sooner, but until we sell our house and buy another smaller UK property which we can rent out, then I can't do the move. Still, it's always good to hear from other people who have made the move, or are thinking of making the move!
Old 14-06-2013, 22:24

Thanks Kate1 , it's good to know about other people's experiences.

Codex- Hope you get your house sold soon and keep me posted. What age are your kids?

I am still unsure about the full move, it's the education side of things and how the kids will manage learning Catallan and Spanish! PP ticks all the boxes but this is my only worry and it's the most important box to tick. I just think that until you are actually there you just don't know how things will work out.
Old 15-06-2013, 09:52

That's our thoughts and concerns exactly. Our children are both 7 so still fairly young, but I don't want to leave it too long. We did consider an international school and even went to visit one (which was a lovely school), but I'd be concerned about making friends locally and fitting in with the local community. On the other side though I'm worried about the quality of schooling in local schools. As you say, I don't think you'll know unless you give it a try.

I'll keep you posted if I hear anything, or if we move forward, you'll have to do the same.
Old 15-06-2013, 10:01

If you do decide to go for it, your children will be growing up in a much safer and less aggresive envoronment than in the UK. The children in PP always seem to be happy and smiling.
Sparky and lollipop like this.
Old 15-06-2013, 16:10

Codex - I have looked at Private Schools too but agree that you want the kids to mix within their local community. The state schools as far as I have read on a lot of other forums do not appear to be the best. I have actually contacted a tuition school in Majorca and the lady their was fab. I suggested that I have kids attend state school and run alongside some private tuition in English and mathematics ( following British curriculum) at their centre. This is exactly what she done with her daughter and it has worked out well. The cost is also no where near the fees of Private Schooling. If you like I can send on a copy of the emails we have sent back and forward to each other so you can see what she had to say. You can PM me your email address.

Whaleywanderer- Thank you for your feedback. We actually stay in a nice enough area at moment but I agree that PP does seem to have a certain calmness to it and it seems an ideal area for kids. Can I ask , I have been advised Old Pollensa may be more suitable for families as there are a younger families there and that PP is mainly retirees, would you agree with this ( no offence meant to any forum members)?