Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Items Wanted/For Sale

Items Wanted/For Sale For individuals only. You may post your request for Items Wanted or For Sale. Please prefix your headings WANTED or FOR SALE.

No Trade Advertisements or Property For Sale please. To Advertise on the main site please see Advertise

This forum is now MODERATED. Please be patient and wait for your post to be APPROVED. Thank you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 20:20

Default The spanish civil war

Does anyone know where I can beg, borrow, hire, purchase or steal a copy of the Granada Television series The Spanish Civil War originally aired in the 1980's?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2010, 23:54

Is that the series when Michael Portillo went back to Salamanca University to trace the footsteps of his father who studied / lectured there. He (M.P.) also travelled and talked about the Civil War and its impact on his family. I believe his father and his uncle fought on opposite sides, as was the case with many Spanish families during the Civil War years.
Sorry I can’t be more helpful, but if the above is correct it might jog other peoples memory of the series you enquire about.

Of further interest might be the following. I have recently read a few books about the Civil War as part of my general interest in Spain, (not just an interest in Puerto Pollensa), I list these below for you. They make very interesting - but sometime very ‘deep’ - reading.
Also, the father of a Spanish lady I know (who managed to teach me ‘some’ Spanish at night class), was evacuated to Yorkshire from the Bilbao area in Northern Spain in about 1937, he was a child at the time. Lots of Spanish children were evacuated to many different parts of the U.K. to get them away from the atrocities.
The Civil War was a terrible time and split many families. It was also a pre-cursor to the Second World War. General Franco prevailed and Spain was a dictatorship for a many years. The Transition to Democracy took a long time. It finally came about some years after King Juan Carlos came to the throne. Full democracy only came, I believe, in 1976.
Mallorca, although involved, seemingly escaped the main brunt of the war. I haven’t found any particular reference to any major problems in Puerto Pollensa at that time.

The books I have read recently (there are many, many others):
“Ghosts of Spain” – by Giles Tremlett. (Essential reading for anyone who wants to understand Spain – quote from BBC History Magazine).
“Guerra” – by Jason Webster (Truly accurate... vivid and perceptive).
“Guernica” – by Dave Bolling (an epic story of love, family and war).
This latter book is a novel, though based on fact, about a family involved in the war in Northern Spain. The likes of Picasso (Re: his famous work “Guernica”) and the Red Barron (a pilot in the Luftwaffe) also make an appearance in the book.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:49

Thank you for your detailed reply. The one I am looking for was made in the 1980's by Granada and shown on BBC television in 6 parts. Having done a detailed search on the internet for it I am sure it has been 'out of print' for some considerable time and was originally only available on 2 x 3hr VHS tapes. I think my only chance of finding it is if someone has it tucked away at the back of a deep forgotten cupboard!
Old 08-02-2010, 10:13

Does this help, as with any downloading check for viruses

BBC – The Spanish Civil War (Complete Series) | myTVblog.org : Your ultimate TV destination...

On island time!!
Old 11-08-2011, 13:12

Deanscroft the Granada tv series is called Prelude to Tragedy narrated by Frank Finlay. It was made in 82 I think. I too have searched for it, again in vain. However, go to christiesbooks.com and search there. I've watched it several times. Plus there is loads of info on the SCW for anyone interested. For those who speak Spanish theres even more to watch.
Tommo