Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Items Wanted/For Sale

Items Wanted/For Sale For individuals only. You may post your request for Items Wanted or For Sale. Please prefix your headings WANTED or FOR SALE.

No Trade Advertisements or Property For Sale please. To Advertise on the main site please see Advertise

This forum is now MODERATED. Please be patient and wait for your post to be APPROVED. Thank you.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2019, 20:21

Default Wanted: Car for Mallorca

Hi,
We have bought an apartment in Pollenca and we are looking to buy a car when we get back over in November,we want something with 4 doors, maybe 3 or 4 years old, with a good history, must have AC obviously and it does not need to be immaculate if the price is ok and reflect that, as on the Island it wont stay that way for long, PM me if you have anything.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2019, 14:17

Anyone ever thought about a car club? I've really no need for a car other than nipping down to Bauhaus for some decorating gubbins.

Plan B is to just drive my 10yr Mini down at easter and leave it for the summer. At least then I can load up with decent quality pictures, light fittings and hardware!!! It's not like I want to refurbish the house like a tudor mansion but I do miss the little things in the UK (like not getting electrocuted by the lights in our house)
Old 07-11-2019, 10:04

I think there is a limit to the length of time you can leave a UK car in Majorca before you have to have all sorts of tests, new plates etc ...... maybe an idea to check before you bring the mini
Old 07-11-2019, 13:24

Yeah, you need to ensure that there's no way the authorities can claim you're a resident so it's tricky to stay longer than 183 days. You also need to check your insurance cover's you for that duration and that your MOT and VED dont run out while you're there.

If you are a resident then you have 30 days to re register the car = pain
Old 07-11-2019, 17:30

I used to use a car “borrowing” service called Drivy (I think it has changed names since then ), but at the end of the day it was a lot more hassle and more expensive than hiring a car at the airport, especially when one could take advantage of seasonal offers.

I sometimes wonder if having a car here is actually worth it. it’s easier and cheaper to go to Palma on one of the TIB buses, and a taxi to and from the Port ( or vice versa) is cheap as chips when with company and no need to worry about ones alcohol intake.
Sharonh and bobley like this.
Old 08-11-2019, 15:42

A Zip car in London starts at £8 per hour assuming you dont pay the monthly fee (£6/month brings the hourly rate down to £6).

Assuming I only need to go down to the Lidl to stock up on cheap bits then I'll need it for an hour. A run to Bauhaus or Ikea will maybe take 3 hours. The rest of the time having a car in Pollenca is just a liability.

I find the Ballearic gov very backwards at times. They want to ban diesel cars (which is stupid because EU6c diesel is ridiculously clean now) and I cant fit solar panels on my roof (useless architect says) but they will start to close down the Alcudia power station soon.

I bet a row of Zip cars parked by the Claustro would go down a storm and save the streets getting clogged with cars.
Sharonh likes this.
Old 08-11-2019, 18:26

Drivy is now called Getaround, and it seems that they “hire” cars by the hour, like you have mentioned, and not as they previously did, by the day.

They are basically cars rented out by the owners, some are quite old and you have to go and collect it and take it back. The nearest location is Alcudia.

Hiring a car at the airport is not only 20% cheaper (today’s rates), but far more convenient, especially when the trip from and to the airport is taken into consideration.

The only practical solution would be to purchase a car or van between 2 or 3 people and share the costs, providing of course that it could be insured for 2 or 3 drivers.
Old 08-11-2019, 18:46

I have just asked a contact of mine who is in the insurance business here, and he has assured me that it would be no problem at all to insure a vehicle to be driven by several people even if it did not legally belong to them.

He represents an insurance company that starts with an A and ends with a Z.

In other words, the idea of buying a vehicle and sharing the capital cost and running costs between various people is a feasible one.

You would only need a good friend to drive down to the airport to pick you up and take you back again.
Old 09-11-2019, 16:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Simms View Post
I have just asked a contact of mine who is in the insurance business here, and he has assured me that it would be no problem at all to insure a vehicle to be driven by several people even if it did not legally belong to them.

He represents an insurance company that starts with an A and ends with a Z.

In other words, the idea of buying a vehicle and sharing the capital cost and running costs between various people is a feasible one.

You would only need a good friend to drive down to the airport to pick you up and take you back again.
In Mallorca, it is the car which is insured not the person, as in
most of Europe. This catches out a lot of our European friends when they are in the UK thinking anyone can drive an insured car.
Old 09-11-2019, 17:51

Alcanadakid, that is very true, thanks.

I suppose what gives us unfrecuent visitors this impression is that all the hire car companies I have come across always charge an extra if it is going to be driven by somebody other than the legal renter.

I may be wrong, as I have always been the sole driver, as my wife, when she joins me, has no interest at all in going around roundabouts the wrong way round.
alcanadakid likes this.
Old 10-11-2019, 17:23

If you bring a UK registered car into Spain it can only stay here on UK plates for a maximum of 3 months and then has to be taken out of the country again. If it is being left here then you need to start the re-registration process within 30 days of arrival. It has nothing to do with being a resident.
Old 10-11-2019, 22:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanscroft View Post
If you bring a UK registered car into Spain it can only stay here on UK plates for a maximum of 3 months and then has to be taken out of the country again. If it is being left here then you need to start the re-registration process within 30 days of arrival. It has nothing to do with being a resident.
Have you got a link to that law. Your statement goes against the statements I read up on other forums but I wouldn't say they are definitive
Old 11-11-2019, 08:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobley View Post
Have you got a link to that law. Your statement goes against the statements I read up on other forums but I wouldn't say they are definitive
This might help:

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...n/index_en.htm

The key sentences appear to be the following:

Pensioners, second homeowners, cross-border commuters, self-employed cross-border commuters (company cars)
As EU nationals with a second home in Spain (that you use for no more than 6 months a year), you do not need to register your vehicles here.

And six months seems to be the "maximum duration allowed".

Additional link:

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...d/index_en.htm

Moving for less than 6 months
If you move to another EU country and you are going to stay for less than 6 months, you don't have to register your car or pay any registration taxes there. You can keep your car registered in your country of residence. You may, however, need to pay road taxes. Road taxes are due for the use of your car, in your new country. It is a good idea to always have your car registration certificate, certificate of ownership and a proof of your permanent residency with you when driving in case you are stopped by the police and need to prove where you are subject to taxation.
If you haven't registered your car in your new country, you may not lend or rent it to a resident of that country if you aren't in the car with him/her. You may, however, lend your car to visiting friends or family members as long as they do not have their permanent residence in the new country.
Check the rules which apply in your country and the country you are moving to.

ALL OF THIS AS LONG AS THE UK IS PART OF THE EU!!!!!
bobley likes this.

Last edited by JPALCOVER; 11-11-2019 at 08:30.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:01

"Pensioners, second homeowners, cross-border commuters, self-employed cross-border commuters (company cars)
As an EU nationals with a second home in Spain (that you use for no more than 6 months a year), you do not need to register your vehicles here."

The inference there is that it's the driver who cant stay, not the car, but it does get messy explaining that to the police. Also, here in (not so) Great Britain, my German 1 year intern students have on occasion had their cars impounded after 6 months if they haven't been home so I wont be pushing the limits!!
Old 11-11-2019, 10:10

given all of the above, it is amazing how many UK plated cars you see here permanently year after year!