Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/internet-telephones-mobile-phones/)
-   -   spanish sim (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/internet-telephones-mobile-phones/8972-spanish-sim.html)

suzi8 27-06-2012 21:32

spanish sim

hi could someone please help me,
i have an appartment in spain and have just had my landline installed so i can now get internet, i also have a iphone would i be able to get a spanish sim for my iphone so i can use the wifi free at my appartment. hope this makes sense, thanks in advance. sue

lollipop 28-06-2012 07:43

Do you also have a router for internet otherwise you will be on dial up not wifi.

Dunk 28-06-2012 09:02

Hi Suzi8, Im not an expert in this matter, but you would have difficulty with wifi unless you have a router. However my family live in Africa and when they visit UK they purchase a pay as you go sim that has some mgb internet usage as this is a lot cheaper. You could ask if it was possible to buy a spanish 'pay as you go' sim with internet use, although not ideal you could keep control of your costs and not run up a large uk bill, and top up as you go, and use free wifi connections in public areas were possible. Maybe someone could answer question if it was possible to get this type of SIM in PP.

Sparky 28-06-2012 09:30

Or you can rent a mobile wifi pocket size device, follow this link Wifirental.travel - Affordable mobile wifi for smart travelers and if you use the following code you can get a 15% discount :- PTOPOLLENSA15 :D.

suzi8 28-06-2012 10:57

hi yes she router with wifi but trying to find a shop that sells pay and go sim for iphone 4s micro sim, can she get these from any mobile phone shop or the grocery store. thanks

Dunk 28-06-2012 11:14

Hi. If you have a router and wifi in appt, you dont need any sim in the iphone 4s. just set it to airline mode and it will pick up the wifi.

Sparky 28-06-2012 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunk (Post 72873)
Hi. If you have a router and wifi in appt, you dont need any sim in the iphone 4s. just set it to airline mode and it will pick up the wifi.

Thanks for this reply Dunk, i only have a basic mobile phone (not much of a techy ;)) so could not really help on this one :D.

Suzi, i hope that has now given you all the info you needed :).

sws97sdg 28-06-2012 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunk (Post 72873)

Yes just to confirm, your iPhone will pick up your wifi once it is going, like it does when you are out and about anyway, just choose your wifi on the phone, add the security code and you will be away, and secure!

RobnAnna 28-06-2012 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by sws97sdg (Post 72878)
Yes just to confirm, your iPhone will pick up your wifi once it is going, like it does when you are out and about anyway, just choose your wifi on the phone, add the security code and you will be away, and secure!

Dont worry about Airplane mode ,ideally it should only be on when you are on an aircraft! You only need to tap on settings and then Wi-Fi,it will then search for what is within range of your phone.You may find others secure or unsecured as well as the network that is yours.Just tap on yours,and as mentioned enter your security code and then your off !

Dunk 29-06-2012 09:01

Your correct no need to worry about Airline Mode, as the phone should automatically pick up the available wifi networks, but if you are concerned about using the the UK sim, all this will do is give you the confidence that the phone is not using your sim, and is just working off local wifi, its actually nothing to do with the aircraft!!

pollensa 29-06-2012 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunk (Post 72918)
Your correct no need to worry about Airline Mode, as the phone should automatically pick up the available wifi networks, but if you are concerned about using the the UK sim, all this will do is give you the confidence that the phone is not using your sim, and is just working off local wifi, its actually nothing to do with the aircraft!!

Won't this also stop you receiving phone calls & SMS? That's fine if it's what is intended.

sws97sdg 29-06-2012 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by pollensa (Post 72928)
Won't this also stop you receiving phone calls & SMS? That's fine if it's what is intended.

Yep, it will, so dont need it in Airline mode, it will pick up the network in normal mode