Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/internet-telephones-mobile-phones/)
-   -   Mobile Internet whilst in PP (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/internet-telephones-mobile-phones/8925-mobile-internet-whilst-pp.html)

vincent 20-06-2012 23:57

Mobile Internet whilst in PP

Was just wondering. I arrive in PP in 3 days and whilst there I would like to be able to use my mobile phone for internet. My carrier 3 has the usual high charges when roaming abroad.

Is there an alternative such as buying a local network SIM etc or should I just use wifi in the restaurant's/bars?

Thanks

Sparky 21-06-2012 08:42

Yes Vincent you can buy a Spanish SIM card in the Movistar shop in the Port, or have a look here :- http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...html#post72230, alternatively the majority of bars/cafes offer free WIFI, just by a drink :D.

clinkham 21-06-2012 11:00

Vincent, notice from your earlier post you are stopping at Pollensamar (what a good choice).
Plenty of nearby wifi hotspots. Laguna next door, whilst in the other direction Hotel Villa Singala and the Spar shop across the Formentor road. All three pleasant places to sit and have cooling drink and catch up with work(?) on line. The Illa d'Or across from Pollensamar has wifi, but I have found the login a bit hit and miss.
Loads of wifi in and around the Port. You only need 3g if you really really need internet inside the apartment. Depending where you are placed in Pollensamar, you may be able to hook up to the edges of Lagunas signal. Before Singala installed wifi last year, we used to be able to get the Spar wifi signal if you sat in the first floor stairwell.:o
Bonanca super market can supply most of your daily requirements, mostly better priced than others nearby. We usually try to spread our ‘holiday food spend’ around the various retailers, particularly the ‘one shop’ owners.
It's a couple of years since we were at Pollensamar so they may have got the lift fixed by now - occasionally the lift doors would close but no 'lifting' took plcae. A short period of gentle jumping up and down was all that was necessary to kick (or jump) start the lift into action.:D

vincent 21-06-2012 11:32

Thanks very much Sparky and Clinkham lots of good info there. My wife won't be too happy if the lift does that though. Will give me a laugh..:D

Had a walk around the Port last nite on Google earth to reacquaint myself as its been a few years myself since I was out..

emmalou 21-06-2012 12:35

If wifi free at Illa d'Or if you buy a drink, thought I had read somewhere you have to pay? :(

pollensa 21-06-2012 12:56

OR you can rent a mobile wi-fi for only 39.90 EUR per week & even better news, we've just been given an exclusive 15% discount code of PTOPOLLENSA15 (exclusive to puertopollensa.com :D )

The mobile wifi is a tiny little gadget that you carry about with you & can attach up to 5 wifi devices (phone, ipad, laptop etc.).

vincent 21-06-2012 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by pollensa (Post 72510)
OR you can rent a mobile wi-fi for only 39.90 EUR per week & even better news, we've just been given an exclusive 15% discount code of PTOPOLLENSA15 (exclusive to puertopollensa.com :D )

The mobile wifi is a tiny little gadget that you carry about with you & can attach up to 5 wifi devices (phone, ipad, laptop etc.).

How do you go about getting this?

pollensa 21-06-2012 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincent (Post 72512)
How do you go about getting this?

Just go their site wifi rental & book online (& remember to get your 15% discount using promo code PTOPOLLENSA15!). You'll then be able to collect your mobile wifi at the airport or via designated hotel/agents in the port.

vincent 21-06-2012 13:06

Just saw that after posting. Thanks. Have now realised I have lots of questions I should have asked a long time before now. 2 more sleeps :-)

pollensa 21-06-2012 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincent (Post 72515)
Just saw that after posting. Thanks. Have now realised I have lots of questions I should have asked a long time before now. 2 more sleeps :-)

Plenty of time to book wifi rental & ask questions (about anything - PP related of course ;) ) - ask away! :D

Mark 21-06-2012 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincent (Post 72479)
Was just wondering. I arrive in PP in 3 days and whilst there I would like to be able to use my mobile phone for internet. My carrier 3 has the usual high charges when roaming abroad.

You can add a ' Euro internet Pass' on your 3 account, not sure how you actually add it.
It is £5 per day according to this link:
About roaming & international charges - Roaming & international - Support - Three

Quote:

Is there an alternative such as buying a local network SIM etc
You could buy a local sim such as Vodafone or Movistar but your phone would need to be unlocked, easy to do online with most phones for a small charge or 3 might do it for a fee. google for ' unlock' and your phone model and check any website out thoroughly before paying.
You would also need to enter some settings in your phone so it knows where to connect to with the foreign sim as it will be set to log in to 3 network.

Quote:

or should I just use wifi in the restaurant's/bars?
Thanks
Free Wifi is OK as long as you are careful and know the risks, it is fairly easy for criminals to capture passwords and take control of you bank or paypal or email account etc.
The chances are fairly slim in sleepy pollensa so not too much of a worry.

A old youtube video that gives a clue, more modern devices are available.
Hak5 - WiFi Pineapple Mark II - YouTube
(if the video is not appropriate here then moderator please delete it:) )

The rental of the mi-fi type device looks OK :)

El Gordo 22-06-2012 17:01

Thanks Mark

The HAK5 video is a good reminder for us to be careful where we gain a connection.:eek:

vincent 22-06-2012 18:18

With the Euro Internet pass on the 3 account they send you a text message automatically when you arrive as long as you have roaming enabled offering you the pass at £5 per day. If you pay for it one day, you get a further message when it is about to run out each time to offer you it again.

whaleywanderer 23-06-2012 10:46

My mobile is with O2, I had a text from them yesterday ..........

'From July we're changing the way you can use your mobile for data in Europe. You'll pay no more than £1.99 for a day of data. For more info (including standard tariff alternative), visit http:/go.o2.co.uk'

This could well be the start of a new trend for mobile providers to offer packages of data for use in Europe. It's a step in the right direction anyway. :)

Sparky 23-06-2012 11:05

I had a similar txt from Movistar :D.