Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones

Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones Anything on telephones, mobiles, cybercafes, internet, post etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-02-2010, 21:02

Default sky tv

hi, does anybody know if you take out your sky box from your house in the uk to PP, will it work. I know some bars use their boxes from GB, but I dont understand how it all works, Thanks. GPM
Sponsored Links
Old 13-02-2010, 21:15

Yes, but don't know if you automatically get the whole package of sports etc.Also depends where your property is and if the satelite there is facing towards UK(as opposed to Germany for example. There are no technical problems other than plug change1
Old 13-02-2010, 21:37

Thanks Ray, I have a spare Sky Plus box at home and my wife was hoping she could tape her soaps on it. The things I do to keep her quiet!!GPM
Old 13-02-2010, 21:41

Don't forget your card.
Old 14-02-2010, 09:34

Actually, regarding the card, is it correct that the blue ones no longer work and they have to be replaced with the new white card?
If this is so, does anyone know how to get one?
Thanks
Old 14-02-2010, 09:55

If you bought your blue card in Majorca it is likely you will have to purchase anew one once it stops working, they are currently giving warnings that the card is about to stop working, regularly during programmes I understand from a friend of mine If you have one from the UK you should apply for a replacement card. With regard to Sky plus,will only work here if you have the double aerial lead and also a full contract card with Sky. We use a Sky + box but bought their freeview card at £20 ,this will not let you record using the sky+ facility. The box will get you channels without a card but not ITV or Channel 4 unless you tune your box and add as an extra channel.
Old 14-02-2010, 10:01

Thanks for this Lollipop. My blue card was taken out from the UK. I assume you bought the white card in the UK? I have just been looking at Ebay and there are a number of white cards for sale. Little worried about buying on there incase they don't work.
Old 14-02-2010, 17:15

Yes we ordered a freeview card from Sky before we moved here and then last October requested new card while we in UK. You can only get freeveiew card if there is no other contract with Sky at the address. Luckily for us our daughter does not have sky. Otherwise keep bringing/using your blue card until it stops working.
Old 14-02-2010, 19:46

Thanks for all this info Lollipop. It has been very helpful.
Old 15-02-2010, 22:45

I apologise in advance if this is a silly question but anything technical is a foreign language to me!
My brother has given me a AMSTRAD DRX280 SKY PLUS BOX with a white card. Will it work in PP?
freeview - freesat - digital ???? der!

I have an old sky box in the villa with the old blue card but I think that has stopped working. The sat dish is big and perhaps I need to check where it is facing ( me check - thats a joke! - what i should have said i will get someone else to check!!)
Old 16-02-2010, 10:04

The box should work eleanor, but as I said earlier you may not get the sky + facility. We are using one(not Amstrad) with no problems. Worth bringing it to try or just bring the card if you don't have room for the box.
Old 16-02-2010, 13:03

Thanks Lollipop. I'm not too worried about the recording. Just want a few channels so hope it will be ok. Other box is years old so will try and take box as well as card. Think I need to get card activated here in UK as sky cancelled it when my brother went for whole package.
Thanks for your help.
Old 16-02-2010, 17:23

Question sky muppet

Have the old blue cards stopped working now? We don't have Sky in UK so don't really understand it all! If I buy a white card in UK will I be able to activate it in PP? Can anyone out there who knows/has done it please help as we're coming out at Easter & I want to be prepared!!
Thanks
Old 16-02-2010, 17:57

From how I understand it, the blue cards are not going to work for very much longer. I think my one has stopped already. I intend to activate my white card here in the UK as that seems to be the information given. I think there maybe a problem with trying to activate it from Mallorca. I'm not chancing it!
Old 16-02-2010, 18:05
Banned

Hi Lollipop - or anyone else who can answer this question for that matter !

I have a white coloured Sky + digibox with a blue card in it and last month when I was in PP I kept getting warnings about the card being due to expire.

If I get a Freeview card from Sky then (and I've never heard of a Freeview card just the box) will it give me the same Freeview channels as here in the UK do you know? i.e. Sky Sports News and a few others I don't get with Sky.

Also, do Sky charge for the card?

In your opinion, which is the better card. Sky or Freeview??

Many thanks,

Nick