Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones

Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones Anything on telephones, mobiles, cybercafes, internet, post etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-03-2011, 12:22

Default Mobile Internet 2011

I shall be taking my new iPad on holiday to PP. Whats the latest news on local availablity and cost of PAYGO iPad sims and laptop dongles?
Vodafone.es used to have an option to translate the site to English, but the link seems to be missing on the new website.

Looking forward to using the 'Star Walk' app from one of those forms on the PineWalk. The moon shining over a glass calm sea - the lighthouse winking across the bay.The twinkling lights on anchored yachts. The dark sky with millions of stars. With the Star Walk app we will be able to 'name that star'. The only downside will be passers-by wondering whats going on. Holding the iPad up at arms length, pointing at different areas of the sky will look very strange...
Star Walk for iPad - interactive astronomy guide for iPad on the iTunes App Store

Oh, Mrs Clinkham will be coming with us to PP.
Sponsored Links
Old 24-03-2011, 18:10

Hi there Clinkham

Just wondered if you had discovered anymore about laptop internet dongles? Fed up with being ripped off by telefonica/movistar for adsl charges I cancelled all but my line rental in PP . Just had a look at Vodaphone.es and they've got a few deals if you sign up for 18 months or so , which I don't mind if it's cheap enough but you will be probably find this option dear if you are only on a few weeks holiday.

Obviously happy to take me ipad and sit in a frontline cafe ( I suppose Cappucino offer this now , Sparky ? ) to catch up on the news/ e mails but require something a bit more secure on my laptop in the appartment for personal finances and writing me forum reviews.

Couldn't have them being plagiarised now could I guys ??

Anyone else have any info ?

Thanks

BonysLad
Old 24-03-2011, 23:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonysLad View Post
Hi there Clinkham

Just wondered if you had discovered anymore about laptop internet dongles? Fed up with being ripped off by telefonica/movistar for adsl charges I cancelled all but my line rental in PP . Just had a look at Vodaphone.es and they've got a few deals if you sign up for 18 months or so , which I don't mind if it's cheap enough but you will be probably find this option dear if you are only on a few weeks holiday.

Obviously happy to take me ipad and sit in a frontline cafe ( I suppose Cappucino offer this now , Sparky ? ) to catch up on the news/ e mails but require something a bit more secure on my laptop in the appartment for personal finances and writing me forum reviews.
Couldn't have them being plagiarised now could I guys ??

Anyone else have any info ?

Thanks

BonysLad
I have been with Direct Telecom for my calls for over a year now as they are way cheaper than Telefonica. I have just moved everything over to them I get Internet Wilan up to 8meg Line rental 200 mins a month to UK Free All Spanish Landlines are Free plus a free 0843 UK number patched through to your Spanish land-line which is only a local rate call. all for just 61 Euro a month. I was paying Telefonica 43 Euros just for line rental.The Service is fantastic all staff speak English separate customer service number and technical number. You get 1 easy to understand Bill in English by email every month and best of all no more Bills from Telefonica
Old 25-03-2011, 00:31

Does anyone have any idea what the cheapest option is for occasional use

I am really looking for the spanish equivilent of the 3 MIFI but there doesn't seem to be one ...... or have I just not found it ?
Old 25-03-2011, 00:46

Thanks fil,

I already use Direct Telecom for all my UK calls and agree that they are very reasonable but didn't think their total package ( line rental + ADSL ) was that cheap.

So looking for a cheap dongle solution to supplement my line rental ( Movistar /Telecom ) + Direct Telecom for UK calls.

Thanks for your help.

BonysLad
Old 25-03-2011, 10:48

Default Internet access

A lot of rental apartments now have free wi-fi installed without any telephone line at all thus removing the problem of guests using the phone to ring home.

This can be installed in any community block of apartments by means of a small ariel on the roof feeding a main router then to individual wi-fi routers in each apartment which all have their own access code making them secure.
I have had this installed in my own community at the end of last year and works well.IB Red were the installers and were very efficient in the work they carried out.There is obviously an initial installation charge but after that the monthly fee can be as low as 10€ a month for a community of 14 all using the service.

The Senor.
Old 25-03-2011, 11:02

Thanks for that info SC. Just wish we could get 14 people willing to pay - works out a bit pricey when there are only 2 of you in a block prepared to part with the cash!

Also, I have just purchased a netbook and will definitely need a dongle to use both in the apartment or out and about - just like BL is after. Certainly need someone to just say - "Go there.. Buy this..plug in" !!
Old 25-03-2011, 11:15
Super Moderator

The Vodafone shop in Alcudia is very good so i am told, i seem to remember Whaleywanderer saying she bought a p.a.y.g dongle there which she was quite happy with.
Old 25-03-2011, 11:22

For 'pay as you go' the vodafone page is here:

Internet Mvil Prepago, Internet donde t quieras
reading that it looks like a Modem K3765 can be bought for €49 with 1 months free access value €49

or for €29 and the offer is when you first top it up you get double balance.

Internet Mvil Prepago, Internet donde t quieras

The Vodafone shop in Pollensa old town has been helpful in the past, not been for a year or two though.
Old 25-03-2011, 11:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinkham View Post
I shall be taking my new iPad on holiday to PP. Whats the latest news on local availablity and cost of PAYGO iPad sims and laptop dongles?
The ipad needs a micro sim to plug directly into the ipad, not sure if anywhere local will sell you one or not.

Easiest way is ebay.

an active link:
SPAIN VODAFONE DATA MICRO SIM CARD +20? CREDIT FOR iPAD on eBay (end time 30-Mar-11 20:41:09 BST)

when that listing expires the seller is:
eBay Feedback profile for prepaidspain

(The credit on these expires after a while so dont buy one until a few weeks before travelling as it might be pre activated by the seller which means the expiry date of the top up might be counting down ( not 100% sure about this )

Not sure where sells the dongles online at the moment, I will look
Old 25-03-2011, 11:51

Thumbs up

I bought my Vodafone dongle from the shop in Pollensa, paid (I think) 49€ which did include some free data time but unfortunately, due to the language differences, I didn't realise that I had to send a SMS from the computer I was using to Vodafone to activate the free allowance, to cut a long story short, I wasted 50€ as I hadn't activated it.

An expensive mistake but now I go to the Vodafone shop in Alcudia, where they do all the activation stuff for you and the staff there all speak quite good English and are very helpful. I usually make it my first priority to go over to Alcudia to top up my dongle, I usually do it for length of time rather than by mb (data), 1 months, unlimited use cost (the last time I topped up) 49€.

I'm very happy now we have got it all sorted and know what we are doing, I have to admit though, to being a bit lost at first.

Hope this helps

Note: If you opt for data rather than a period of time, don't use Skype as it eats up your data for fun, on unlimited though you can use Skype, but the camera pictures do freeze occasionally.
Old 25-03-2011, 12:25

Question

I am not sure if I am on the right wavelength here but I have a UK T mobile dongle. They have euro top ups ranging from £1 for 15 mins to £40 for a whole month. Obviously if you are in a free wifi zone, there is no charge.
Also I am now a bit confused with the ipad, my ipad has a sim with internet and 3g so I am assuming I can just access any free wi-fi spot when in PP. Am I right in that.
All these gadgets get terribly confusing
Old 25-03-2011, 13:53

OK, have I got this right. I take myself along to the Vodaphone shop in Alcudia, which has a better reputation than the one in Pollensa (anyone know the address or directions please to save me scouting around, thanks) taking my little Acer Netbook with me; ask them for a dongle which could cost me about €50, get them to activate whatever needs activating, then I can just plug it in whenever I am not in range of free Wifi?

Can this dongle be kept inactive when no longer used after the holiday and then reused when I return again or is it time limited? As we only manage to stay out from between a week to ten days at a time it will be a little expensive if I cant keep and reuse it!
Old 25-03-2011, 14:05

Many Thanks for your very comprehensive replies, Guys

Think the community option might be out for me cos we have two businesses in our block which are probably hardwired into a trillion megs or summat !!

Will get meself over to Alcudia to Vodaphone when I get there sounds like a good option .

Bella,

Will make sure me dongle is activitated before you come out

But will point you in the right direction when you come

BonysLad
Old 25-03-2011, 14:20

Hi Bella.

That is the point that I was making, if you use a UK dongle (who ever invented that word !!) you can just top it up whenever.
If you use the one like mine, pay as you go.....you only ever pay for what you need at the time.
Enjoy your time in PP at Easter.

Susie