Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones

Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones Anything on telephones, mobiles, cybercafes, internet, post etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-03-2011, 16:36

Thanks Susie, hope you are keeping well. Never need to use a dongle here so even that is new to me! Things just seem to get more complicated as the years go on, trying to keep up with all the techno stuff! Hopefully when we are out we can grab someone who knows and can help us - ie, do it all, or Mr Know it all!
Old 25-03-2011, 17:30

T mobile

Go here Mobile Broadband on Your Laptop - Broadband is Set Free

Thats stick price then here for europe use

Mobile Broadband on Your Laptop - Broadband is Set Free
Old 25-03-2011, 19:03

Thanks Snowy, mate.

Might therefore source a local Vodaphone one for a week and then perhaps when you are out we can get together and compare the performance of our respective dongles ? ( Promise not in public though , folks !!!! ).

BonysLad
Old 25-03-2011, 20:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonysLad View Post
Thanks fil,

I already use Direct Telecom for all my UK calls and agree that they are very reasonable but didn't think their total package ( line rental + ADSL ) was that cheap.

So looking for a cheap dongle solution to supplement my line rental ( Movistar /Telecom ) + Direct Telecom for UK calls.

Thanks for your help.

BonysLad
Your Welcome I thought the price was very good for what you get and the speed is better than I thought specialy being as were we are its actulay as fast as my BT Broadband in the UK and you only the one bill which is awesome
Old 25-03-2011, 22:47

Ok can someone tell me if I am wrong here because I think I may have jut found what I need

I can buy a mobile dongle from T Mobile for £39.99 on their "pay upfront" package

I can not bother using it in the UK because I don't need it ..... I just use my iphone which gives me unlimited internet

I can then come over to PP with my laptop ( small but not quite netbook small ) and when I plug in this dongle I will get presented with a "euro booster page" .... I can then select the £10 for 50mb option and hey presto I have internet for a tenner.... if this is the case and I havn't missed anything this HAS to be the best bet for anyone who can usually do what she needs to do via the many wifi locations but just wants the convenience of being able to get online occasionally without venturing past the front door.

Well those of you in the know ..... am I right or is this too simple ........... because it seems a lot cheaper than the spanish options ..... oh I do know that 50mb doesn't get me much but at £10 its a lot cheaper than it would cost if I just data roamed on my phone as £10 would only get me about 8mb

Also ..... does anyone know what happens if I don;t use up all of my "booster megabytes " are they there waiting for me when I return to PP ?
Old 25-03-2011, 23:33

That sounds pretty good to me too. And exactly the last question I need answering! We too can compare dongles at Easter!
Old 26-03-2011, 13:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by its cd View Post
Ok can someone tell me if I am wrong here because I think I may have jut found what I need

I can buy a mobile dongle from T Mobile for £39.99 on their "pay upfront" package

I can not bother using it in the UK because I don't need it ..... I just use my iphone which gives me unlimited internet

I can then come over to PP with my laptop ( small but not quite netbook small ) and when I plug in this dongle I will get presented with a "euro booster page" .... I can then select the £10 for 50mb option and hey presto I have internet for a tenner.... if this is the case and I havn't missed anything this HAS to be the best bet for anyone who can usually do what she needs to do via the many wifi locations but just wants the convenience of being able to get online occasionally without venturing past the front door.

Well those of you in the know ..... am I right or is this too simple ........... because it seems a lot cheaper than the spanish options ..... oh I do know that 50mb doesn't get me much but at £10 its a lot cheaper than it would cost if I just data roamed on my phone as £10 would only get me about 8mb

Also ..... does anyone know what happens if I don;t use up all of my "booster megabytes " are they there waiting for me when I return to PP ?
That would do for lots of people although the low price euro boosters only last for 24 hours or when the data allowance is used ( which ever is first)

The 30 days for £40 is OK but only 200 MB of data which is OK for emails and a bit of forum postings etc but not for heavy use like you tube or uploading lots of photos.
That should be enough for most people for a two week holiday though.

It's complicated isn't it
Old 26-03-2011, 13:46

A link from last year:
T-Mobile launches Euro Broadband Boosters
Old 29-03-2011, 13:50

Has anyone got an update on the MiFi option? I was told that Vodafone was offering this but can't find any details.
Old 29-03-2011, 14:13

Vodafone UK do this mobile wi-fi device:

Share Your Mobile Internet Connection With Mobile Wi-Fi – Vodafone
doubt its any use in Spain though unless there is a spain version or someone can unlock it.

To share a dongle Vodafone do this in the UK:
Share Your Internet Dongle Connection With Sharing Hub – Vodafone

Introducing the Vodafone Mobile WiFi R201 (next to the Three MiFi E585) | The Really Mobile Project

Mobile Wi-Fi Arrives on Vodafone - Peripheral News - TrustedReviews

None of those links are much use for Spain though unless there is a Spanish version.