Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones

Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones Anything on telephones, mobiles, cybercafes, internet, post etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 09:33

Default Duva now charging guests for internet access

A word of warning for all those staying at Duva. They are now charging guests for internet access. Three euros for an hour and fifty euros for a week. That is nearly what I pay for a monthly sky subscription, plus landline costs and broadband for a whole month back home!

I took my laptop but didn't use it for obvious reasons. I made my feelings plain to the staff there and I will be writing a very strong letter of complaint to the management company. The spurious reason given was "Non guests were using the network". The simple solution of course is to issue temporary passwords to guests instead of ripping them off with extortionate costs.

Last edited by PaulB; 01-07-2010 at 09:35.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2010, 12:11

Default Internet access charges in hotels

I agree that there is no need for hotels to charge these rip-off internet charges just because they're too lazy to set up access passwords and implement security.

I hope you told them that you'll be posting it on the PP forum as well ...
Old 01-07-2010, 12:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dublin View Post
I agree that there is no need for hotels to charge these rip-off internet charges just because they're too lazy to set up access passwords and implement security.

I hope you told them that you'll be posting it on the PP forum as well ...

I will indeed, Mike. I don't think the issue is one of laziness as password facility already exists. Just pure greed.

Last edited by PaulB; 01-07-2010 at 12:31.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:51

I was going to say that the modest charge made by the owner of our favourite apartment was 'fair enough', so to speak, at £10 per visit. Just checked the website and found the charge is now £20.

Perhaps someone living in the port can advise what the cost of a broadband connection is. I think in UK we have probably,after a costly start, got the cheapest broadband in Europe.

In May we did a Brittany Ferries holiday, out to Santander and back through France to Caen. This included 7 nights bed and breakfast. In each hotel there was free WiFi - mostly accessed via a login password. Evening Skype calls back to a UK landline cost a total of £1.23 for the week!!!

There was even WiFi from the ferry - 5 euros for an hour from the middle of the Bay of Biscay!!
Old 01-07-2010, 12:55

The internet shop/cafe on the same street as El Posito (but nearer the Square) has had a revamp and upgrade since I was in last year. I have a funny feeling the prices have gone up as well. Seem to remember paying 1 euro for 30 mins last year but it now costs 2 euros.
Old 01-07-2010, 13:06
Super Moderator

I wondered when hotels/apartment/villa owners over here were going to start charging for internet access . It is much more expensive here than in the UK, i pay around 40€ per month with Movistar/Telefonica (it was about £18 a month with Virgin) but you are right it is pure greed. Premier Inns charge £12 a day .
Old 03-07-2010, 19:49

I should have checked when I booked, I suppose. Took it for granted it was free as it was last year. The reception staff are helpful enough, but they only seem to have limited information, and last year we found this forum to be invaluable for things such as transport timetables and various 'phone numbers. Didn't really want to be lugging the laptop around either.
Old 12-07-2010, 16:25

Default Cost of Internet access

Internet access is expensive in Majorca , compaired to the UK. The costs are 68.00 Euro per month, Line rent is 28 then 40 internet costs.
Old 12-07-2010, 17:31

The Villa Parade place we stayed in in may had free wifi, but on trying to access it you needed a password. There was no information in the accomodation at all, so we rang them. They knew nothing about a password, but made a suggestion on what to try and type in. I can't honestly remember if it worked or not.

When we got to the hotel in Deia, we simply logged on, no password needed.
Old 12-07-2010, 18:39

The Miramar have free access to PC for guests you just ask for the password at reception. This year I was not staying there but i popped in and put in the password and had access little bit cheeky of me !!!