Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones

Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones Anything on telephones, mobiles, cybercafes, internet, post etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-02-2010, 19:24

nickpaulanoah, Our sky freeview card does not give us Sky Sports news here,but we do get all the BBc and ITV channels ,Sky3,and various other channels . You need to apply in the uk and then you get channels local to your home area. When we activated a card for the first time we phoned using an english mobile as the card needs to be in the box. If you have the box in the uk no problem to bring both here.There are people selling cards here but no price given. Ads in MDB. I don't know if a UK freeview box would work here to pick up English channels.
Sponsored Links
Old 16-02-2010, 19:47

Hi Lollipop, you have been so helpful and supplied so much useful information. Thank you.
I spoke to someone who had taken a general freeview box (bought in Asda about £20 ) to Pollensa and it didn't work.
Old 18-02-2010, 01:11

Our box stopped working and we contacted Confort who installed a new freesat box for us for about 100 euros which now picks up all the uk non subscription channels. As far as I know the box is just plugged into the same lead that the old sky box was plugged into which goes up to a satelite on the roof which I think must be owned by the community. It took less than half an hour for the whole thing to be installed and we dont have to worry about cards stopping working any more.
Old 18-02-2010, 10:21

Yes, that is what we started out with but at that time ITV channels not available which is why we bought our sky box out.
Old 18-02-2010, 10:52

Lightbulb Sky TV

Hi PP Ace

If you dont mind me asking - what community are you in?

We have property in Bellesreguard - whcih has pretty weak commuinty signal-the Free Sat box I took over last year is fine but wont tune in to ITV or Channel 4
Old 18-02-2010, 12:25
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pp ace View Post
Our box stopped working and we contacted Confort who installed a new freesat box for us for about 100 euros which now picks up all the uk non subscription channels. As far as I know the box is just plugged into the same lead that the old sky box was plugged into which goes up to a satelite on the roof which I think must be owned by the community. It took less than half an hour for the whole thing to be installed and we dont have to worry about cards stopping working any more.
We have a locally installed freesat box too - I think the make is Boston. It is a few years old now & probably needs updating (sound is not synchronised!) but it's been fine for us & has quite a few 'free to air' channels. We were given the choice of either Skybox or freesat - either can be plugged into the same cable connection which leads to the dish. So as far as I know anyone who has a skybox can just replace this with a freesat box & much easier if you get it locally.
Old 19-02-2010, 15:18

Bought a sky plus box on ebay for £30.00, phoned up sky and asked them to change over one of my normal sky boxes to sky plus, which they did right away at no extra cost, brought it over to PP this morning and plugged it in Eureka!! full sky package including sport and can now tape programmes when we are out.Will just have to take the card back and forward now.Anybody want to buy a video recorder? GPM
Old 19-02-2010, 15:30

That's fantastic GPM. I'm so pleased to hear this as hopefully my box will work too. Gosh you got a bargain on ebay well done!

I need to ring sky and activate the white card. I'm a bit worried incase they refuse. The card and box belonged to my brother and apparently the card was cut off when he upgraded. I hope I don't have a problem. - I'm putting off making the call - how sad is that!!

I worry about anything 'technical' lol and to me this is technical!!
Old 21-02-2010, 13:56

Hi GPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpm View Post
Will just have to take the card back and forward now.Anybody want to buy a video recorder? GPM
I was under the impression that when you ask SKY to activate the card, the card is "married" to the box and therefore wont work in another box!!

Good luck trying this out

My FlickR Photos
Old 21-02-2010, 17:48

Default sky tv

GL, yes, the girl from sky said this was the case, but when I tried it in another box it worked. I,ll let you know when I go home with the card from PP if it all works out. GPM
Old 22-02-2010, 09:22

Hi there everone.
I have done alot of research into getting satelite tv in Puerto Pollenca. Here are just a few things to note.
You can bring a sky box from the uk and use it here providing the dish is big enough (1.2metres minimum to get a reasonable signal) and is correctly lined up with the Astra 2D satelite. You will get all main free to air channels without using a card because the channels not available for free from sky are free on Freesat (usually just Channel 5 although it depends on which ITV region the box is registered in) If you have a basic package sky card you can use it in any skybox. Premium channels only work with the card in the box that it is registered to. A Skyplus box will not work if you are not paying a subscription. Also - there are lots of non-sky digiboxes available which pick up all available channels - not just the ones off the Sky platform. Also note the signal strength here is so poor there are lots of things that can be done to better the signal. The bigger the dish is the main thing but also - the type of cable used, the length of cable, plus some LNBs(the bit in the mibble of the dish)work better with certain boxes. Panasonic Skyboxes appear to be more sensitive than lots of others.
Hope that helps
Old 03-06-2011, 16:25

Does anyone know if you can buy a Sky plus remote control anywhre in the port?
Old 03-06-2011, 17:19

You could try Confort, they may do one that will operate it.
Old 03-06-2011, 20:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham View Post
Does anyone know if you can buy a Sky plus remote control anywhre in the port?
In the Old town the TV/ Sat shop will have for sure they set up my Sky Plus they are great PM me if you need more info