Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/internet-telephones-mobile-phones/)
-   -   Need to register all pre-paid (PAYG) Mobiles by Oct 09! (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/internet-telephones-mobile-phones/4774-need-register-all-pre-paid-payg-mobiles-oct-09-a.html)

pollensa 12-06-2009 14:27

Need to register all pre-paid (PAYG) Mobiles by Oct 09!

Hi,

I've just read in a magazine & now found on the internet, that all new pre-paid mobiles that are bought in Spain have to be registered & you need to show your passport etc. For any phones that were bought prior to Nov 2007, you have until Nov 7 2009 (basically end Oct 09) to get it registered or it will get cut-off! :eek: I think you may be able to go into a shop that does your network (mine is Movistar) & get it done there.

I'll have a go as soon as I can.

Meanwhile does anyone else have any news on this?

Thanks.

pansy potter 12-06-2009 15:47

Hi Pollensa

Dont know much about the reasons but when we were there 2 weeks ago my husband bought a new sim card for his phone bought the previous year and he had to show his passport etc for it to be registered. Does anyone know if we can top up in this country ( Movistar ) as the sim cards only last 6 months if not topped up. Sometimes we dont get chance to go between Nov and feb and have to buy another sim ?? I m sure there must be a way as Spanish tourists coming to Uk must need credit at some point ??

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Pansy

whaleywanderer 13-06-2009 07:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by pollensa (Post 31332)
Hi,

I've just read in a magazine & now found on the internet, that all new pre-paid mobiles that are bought in Spain have to be registered & you need to show your passport etc.

Does this also apply to PAYG?

Sparky 13-06-2009 08:01

Yes Whaley it does, i had a message about registering my PAYG. I have bought a spanish simcard, so went back to the shop and the girl told me it had already been registered.:)

pollensa 13-06-2009 14:28

Yes it is for PAYG - that's what they mean by pre-paid as you pay to top-up before using. If you are on a contract they already have your details. I think it is an anti-terrorism measure. Any PAYG Sims bought since Nov '07 should already have been registered as you would have given your passport number or other id to buy it.

Anyway I sorted mine this morning. I went into the Movistar shop on C/ Juan XXIII (with your back to the sea, it's on the left not far up from the front). The girl took my phone & took out the Sim & battery (to get the phone code), took my passport number & entered it all into a computer. Apparently I am now registered!

She confirmed that you do have until end Oct 09 to register otherwise the SIM will be blocked & you'll need to buy a new one.