Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones

Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones Anything on telephones, mobiles, cybercafes, internet, post etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-03-2008, 11:39

Cool WiFi Update

Hi all you fellow fans of PP

I am a newby to this site and I am already addicted, I was wondering if anybody has any updates of places offering wifi access this year. I have read all the posts made last year but as the industry moves so quickly I thought there maybe more places offering wifi this year, I'm sure all the bars would get plenty of customers if they provided this facility.

We have bought an apartment in the centre and it will be our first visit since we acquired the keys recently. We have bought a super small laptop about the same dimensions as a paperback book, with a 7 inch screen which has wifi installed, It's ideal to tuck into your hand luggage. We would like to use this to communicate back home and, of course, to keep up with the gossip on the forum! We thought about having a landline and broadband installed but as we will only be able to come over about 5 times a year we would be paying for something that we would not be using.

We are coming out beginning of April for a month and would welcome any advice and comments.
Sponsored Links
Old 28-03-2008, 18:05

Hi, whaleywanderer

We (my wife and I) will be staying in Puerto Pollensa for a week starting tomorrow (Saturday 29th March) in an apartment somewhere on Pine Walk.

I'll be taking my Asus eeePC (sounds similar to what you have) and fully intend to explore all the wi-fi enabled cafes and bars (especially the bars ). I'll report back here on what I find.
Old 28-03-2008, 18:24
Founder

The only place that I know of is JKs - see http://www.puertopollensa.com/jks/ so it will be useful to hear if there any others.
Old 29-03-2008, 09:55

We are coming out next week and will do some scouting around. Will report back.
Old 29-03-2008, 10:39

Thanks Mike, yes you're right, I have also got the Asus Eee PC and I love it, so handy to carry around. I'm looking forward to using it in PP. We will be over for a month in April so may bump into you on our wifi hunt. Look out for me, mine is a white one.
Old 31-03-2008, 19:52

Default JK's bar

I'm sitting in JK's bar while Mrs. mike is watching the soaps back in the apartment
No problems with wireless access - just ask for details at the bar.
Old 31-03-2008, 19:57

so jealous of you mike, we visited JKs several times last year to use their wifi, very friendly people with great snacks, say hello to them from me, enjoy your drink!!
Old 01-04-2008, 10:07

Thanks Mike
What a good scout you are, we come out on Sunday and will head for JK's for a surf and snack, armed with my trusty Eee. Have a good time, hope the sun is shining for you.

Last edited by whaleywanderer; 01-04-2008 at 10:40. Reason: signature
Old 01-04-2008, 12:57

Default Cafe Caramba

I've just braved a sand-blasting while walking along Pine Walk and up to Cafe Caramba . I hope the wind will die down for the rest of the week.

Still, the good news is that Cafe Caramba now supports wi-fi. It's not free, but (I suppose) the prices are reasonable.
Old 01-04-2008, 23:27

Smile

Thanks again Mike for all the info. How does Jk's compare with Cafe Caramba for ease of use and prices and of course congenial company and good food (and drink!)?

Last edited by whaleywanderer; 01-04-2008 at 23:30.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaleywanderer View Post
Thanks again Mike for all the info. How does Jk's compare with Cafe Caramba for ease of use and prices and of course congenial company and good food (and drink!)?
Access at JK's is free for customers; at Cafe Caramba they charge by connection time - I think it's in ten-minute units up to half an hour, then half-hour units, and so on.

The network at JK's is encrypted; you need to borrow the card with the access key from the bar. You should only need to enter the key once, the PC will "remember" it for future visits. The network at Caramba is open (no access key needed) so it's marginally easier to connect (but less secure) there than at JK's.

I haven't sampled the food at either place - but other customers looked happy enough.
Old 02-04-2008, 13:11

I noticed today that Fletchers is advertising free wifi access at their cafe. They are located off the sea front down the side street next to Burger King.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:27

Re Fletchers - This is good to know, our apartments just round the corner from there! It was up for sale last time we walked past, good to know it's opened up again.
Old 08-04-2008, 21:36

Ho hum... I'm back home in the UK and didn't have an opportunity to check out the wi-fi at Fletcher's. It will be almost two months before we visit Spain (Costa Blanca next time) again.

While we were there, I did notice quite a few unsecured "home" networks. In fact, I had to switch wi-fi off when using the PC in the apartment where we were staying, to avoid connecting to a neighbour's network.
Old 12-04-2008, 13:27

Sitting in JK's, fabulous being able to use their free wifi.

Went into Fletchers bar to enquire about their wifi and although he has all the equipment he told me it would be a couple of days until he would be up and running with wifi. I will pop in a bit later and report back.