Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones

Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones Anything on telephones, mobiles, cybercafes, internet, post etc.

Like Tree263Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 13:49

I have installed a 1.8m dish. Apart from a few seconds of break up during a major thunderstorm reception has been perfect. It is debatable whether the wobble effect is something which affects the signal as the satellites are in geostationary orbit and should also 'wobble' at the same time. More likely that break up using a smaller dish is due to atmospheric conditions.

Note on dish size - Larger satellite dishes are oval and should be measured across the shortest diameter ie side to side. A 1.8m dish is 2m tall. There appears to be several satellite installers advertising dishes as 2m when they are really 1.8m and as 1.7m when they are 1.55m.
Belladonna, lollipop and Bekki like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2014, 14:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanscroft View Post
I have installed a 1.8m dish. Apart from a few seconds of break up during a major thunderstorm reception has been perfect. It is debatable whether the wobble effect is something which affects the signal as the satellites are in geostationary orbit and should also 'wobble' at the same time. More likely that break up using a smaller dish is due to atmospheric conditions.

Note on dish size - Larger satellite dishes are oval and should be measured across the shortest diameter ie side to side. A 1.8m dish is 2m tall. There appears to be several satellite installers advertising dishes as 2m when they are really 1.8m and as 1.7m when they are 1.55m.
Thanks for the info. I read somewhere (cant remember where) that it was predicted that the signal would be worse about this month and last for a few months. I thought it was due to the earth's wobble relative to the satellite. Maybe the satellite is not exactly geostationary which would explain the problem. Just guessing, I am no expert.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:32

A quick query for anyone who has had one of the new giant dishes installed in the PP area.

Do you still get a poor or no signal for Channel 4 and its sister channels and/or do you find BBC TV and radio still breaking up from time to time?

The ironic thing is that the original problematic channels at the time of the satellite switch-over were C5 and ITV and these are the only ones that (touch wood) I am not experiencing problems with!
Old 02-11-2014, 11:39

Not quite an answer to your query, but we have a box of some sort installed as the block was too slow to get a dish before one person pinched the only available spot, pretty selfish but hey ho, done now. Anyway, the only channel working constantly is itv. Bbc is very temperamental, whichever one you try. We do get good signals for shopping channels and the good old movie channels. None of which we particularly want! Will be doing more research that's for sure, needed for January and February if no other month! You are lucky to get Ch5!
James likes this.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:53

We have big community dish installed by Confort ....., was ok for all channels when last over in September

Will report back in a couple of weeks

Generally I find anything Confort install is fit for purpose and reliable , may cost a bit more but they are my PP John Lewis - ie my go to place to get good no hassle service at fair price
Old 02-11-2014, 14:05

Within our community we also have a 1.8 m wide dish , fitted by confort and all channels operate well. Occasionally if heavy rain as would happen in the UK you experience some break up. The equinox time of your year will sometimes affect signal strength.
Old 02-11-2014, 15:58

Yes, would probably opted for Confort as we do for everything, but this was a community decision that didn't include everyone! Never a good plan. Will go round to Confort and see what they can suggest for damage limitation as now no space for large dish.
Old 03-11-2014, 14:55

Yes there are (hopefully short term) problems at the moment due to two causes. The first is that at this time of year the afternoon sun and the satellite are in line and the solar radiation interferes with reception. This is nothing new except this year it has coincided with an unusual increase it solar flare activity which has made the problem worse.
Even with our 2m dish we are experiencing some drop out.

When talking about the size of the larger satellite dishes it needs to be remembered that the dish is oval and should be measured horizontally with a straight measure across the shortest side. Measuring it this way a dish measuring 1.8m should give good reception in all but the most taxing of conditions (remembering also that there are lots of other factors that affect reception - size isn´t everything!). I do know that when Confort quote for a 1.8m dish that is exactly what it is ie it is actually 2m measured across the longest route. Some installers measure them the other way and what they quote as a 1.7m dish actually only measures 1.55m. These appear to work adequately in ideal conditions but start to drop out whenever there is heavy cloud. Also they are no good for HD. It really is a matter of you pay your money and take your choise. My opinion is that the 1.55m is fine for occassional use or holidays but to guarantee good reception for the vast majority of time means shelling out around 2000€ on a genuine 1.8m model.
James, Belladonna, Nick and 1 others like this.
Old 03-11-2014, 18:28
Banned

Very helpful. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2014, 18:48

Help please. When we had our TV installed by Confort, they also installed a TV ap or something on our lap top, which we could plug into the TV with a cable. And that's all I can remember! can someone remind me what it is please and do I connect to an email adds first to find it? Obviously holiday brain dismissed all info from last year! Thanks.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:08

Not a bit of signal at the moment. Rain and cloud. Anyone else having same problem.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:16

This is not unusual when it rains heavily with what ever size of dish you have. We lost our signal too.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:37
Super Moderator

Even my Spanish satellite tv has been knocked out this morning.
lollipop likes this.
Old 04-11-2014, 17:32

Itv has just given up!
Old 25-11-2014, 20:36

I had my dish changed in March this year by Infinity and now I'm being told I need a 2m aluminium dish @1000€ as anyone else been told this.