Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones

Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones Anything on telephones, mobiles, cybercafes, internet, post etc.

Like Tree263Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-03-2013, 20:40
Super Moderator

That's exactly what i do Deanscroft. I also get the History Channel, National Geographic, Nat Geo Wild, Jamie Oliver is on a couple of the cooking channels, BBC World and a couple of other English speaking news channels .
lollipop likes this.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:48

Latest news - The launch of the new Astra 2e satellite has been confirmed for July with the transfer of channels due to be completed by the end of September.
Sparky and lollipop like this.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:35

I might be the "odd one out" here but surely you go to live in a foreign country or holiday in one to get immersed in the local culture and lifestyle and not to take Britain with you, i.e. UK television. There are more than enough Spanish channels, news, sport and current affairs together with English speaking news services on the various satellites to keep anyone happy so, where's the problem? If the problem is speaking the language, if I can learn Spanish, then anyone can !
Old 02-04-2013, 11:35

I can see where you are coming from Tonsyl but I think this is a matter of choice and this choice is being taken away or at least making it a difficulty.

In this day and age should we not expect at least what we are used to in our own Country? Why should having UK tv be considered a luxury? many people for many reasons do like to have a little bit of Britain with them whether they are on holiday or living permanently and that should be their choice. Not everyone is able to speak Spanish nor would feel the need to learn if other things are higher on their agendas.

To be able to sit children in front of their favorite tv programme while getting ready to go out or on a rainy day is not a luxury it is an expectation.

As someone who has a property I like to switch the tv on and watch Corrie - that is my choice and why not? To sit to watch a half hour programme on English TV is not an insult to the Country. We have been in Mallorca for many years on a part time basis and over those years I do not think the basics have improved. We have always had problems with certain channels but had hoped that this would improve. We seem to always be chasing our tail and keeping fingers crossed. Personally I want at least what I have here and expect that choice. It annoys me when everything seems to be a constant pain and pain to the pocket and a pain to the brain cells just trying to keep up!

Last edited by eleanor; 02-04-2013 at 11:48. Reason: typo
Old 02-04-2013, 14:43

I appreciate your view Eleanor and like mine, we are all entitled to them. The point I make however revolves around the fact that when we are in Spain (or any other country) we are not in England and the Spanish have a different way of life which, in their country we should respect. Surely, it's a trade off, we go abroad for the sun or whatever and we should not expect a UK lifestyle to be available where ever we go. Purely by luck, Mallorca has fallen under the footprint of the Sky satellite and has up to now received some UK transmissions. Is it really the end of life as we know it if this stops. I happen to think not but many others may well think so.
Old 02-04-2013, 15:07

I don't think it would be the end of life as we know it but it would be the end of choice and that is my point. I believe we live in a time when so much is easy access which gives us many opportunities including a choice of which tv station to watch. My point is that regardless of whether it is correct or proper or whatever, to expect a little bit of Britain in a foreign country is not wrong or disrespectful. I think in this day and age and connections for near enough anything it should automatically include access to UK tv. and it shouldn't just be by luck. 3rd World Mallorca is not! A UK lifestyle will differ from person to person and I see nothing wrong with expecting much of what we have here plus the added bonus of everything Spanish too. Frankly had I not expected that then I wouldn't have bought in Mallorca but perhaps Ghana or somewhere.
We are able to place cameras in our properties for security, have webcams along the front to spot our friends on holiday and even have a switch to close the curtains and switch the lights on from the UK but we can't seem to have easy uncomplicated access to UK tv. That was my point. All to their own and that's fine but easy access rather than just by luck afterall many British pounds are spent in Mallorca.

A little off topic here so apologies.
James and alcanadakid like this.

Last edited by eleanor; 02-04-2013 at 15:09.
Old 02-04-2013, 15:37
Super Moderator

I have already posted my opinion on this subject so won't go into it again but there is also another angle to take into consideration here. This is that it might well have been against the T&Cs of the Sky agreement to bring a box and card over here for use, i say might because i am not certain of this but i think it is a valid point.
Another point which i would make is .....if you follow the argument that it is right that you have access in a foreign country to British TV then surely that means all foreigners in Britain have the right to have their favourite TV programs .

Playing devils advocate again .
eleanor likes this.
Old 02-04-2013, 15:51

Good point Sparky and you may just be right there! Maybe time for Virgin to start digging in their cable! lol

As for the foreign stations in UK - there are many available through the various companies which supply. My Grandson was watching an Indian cartoon a few weeks ago and was quite put out that he was unable to understand!
Sparky likes this.
Old 02-04-2013, 16:07
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanor View Post
As for the foreign stations in UK - there are many available through the various companies which supply. My Grandson was watching an Indian cartoon a few weeks ago and was quite put out that he was unable to understand!
But here the sound is dubbed to Spanish so if the program was originally recorded in English/German/French i can change back to the original language, i find it a great way to learn Spanish and probably the Spanish people think it's great for them to learn English .......win,win me thinks .
eleanor likes this.
Old 02-04-2013, 18:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
there is also another angle to take into consideration here. This is that it might well have been against the T&Cs of the Sky agreement to bring a box and card over here for use, i say might because i am not certain of this but i think it is a valid point.
A little legal aside but the Court of Justice of the European Union (formerly known as the ECJ) has already ruled on this issue in Cases C-403/08 and C-429/08 Football Association Premier League and Others v QC Leisure and Others and Karen Murphy v Media Protection Services Ltd which is applicable law in all 27 EU Member States including the UK and Spain.

The specific facts of the case concerned watching [football matches on] Greek Satellite TV in the UK and, in particular, its public display to patrons/viewers in UK Pubs.

In short, while there are legal constraints which can be brought to bear against the public display of unlicensed foreign satellite channels (i.e. including those TV screens outside certain bars in the Square that display Sky Sports Channels) as this involves a "communication to the public" and can amount to an infringement of copyright, a private person in one EU Member State can use decoder cards and set top boxes from other EU Member States to access broadcasts from those other EU Member States, providing they are using them for private, domestic use. Terms and conditions which seek to prevent such use contravene Articles 56 and 101(1) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union.
eleanor likes this.
Old 02-04-2013, 23:26

Sorry James. But what does this mean in simple terms ??? Will my freeview box still work ? And if not what do i do ? In winter i do like a little british tv.
Nick and eleanor like this.
Old 03-04-2013, 00:10

I think James is saying that you can do what you want as long as it is in private.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:53
Banned

Unless I've missed something here, and maybe I have, the main question is, are we going to lose our current Sky and UK terrestrial channels than ?

I for one would be very narked as like the majority here say it is nice to just sit and watch some of our UK channels now and again. Having Sky Sports News on while getting ready or CBeebies for my lad and Come Dine With Me for the missus et al !!!

Just hope there'll be some way of retaining them.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:59
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpaulanoah View Post
Just hope there'll be some way of retaining them.
Nick i think that you will be able to retain them .....at a cost, what the experts are saying is that you will have to have a much bigger dish to pick up the signal and this could cost as much as 1000€.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:51

Or use a Slingbox like mine which is now working well. There is no ongoing cost providing you have an internet connection.

See my earlier posts on this thread