Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones

Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones Anything on telephones, mobiles, cybercafes, internet, post etc.

Like Tree263Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-09-2009, 22:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by afternoon boy View Post
Sorry guys still all a bit technical for me!

We have an apartment in Bellesreguard that shares a community dish - we can get BBC 1 and 2 occasionally ITV depending on satellite strength and a few other non subscription channels including sky news.

We have a SKy box left by previous owner but cannot access any subscription channels without a card

Do we receive SKy news through the sky box or staright from the satellite ie does the sky box have any purpose without a sky card?

WE ARE ALSO IN BELLESGUARD - COULD EVEN BE THE SAME COMMUNITY?

CAN ANYONE CLARIFY WHETHER THERE IS ANY NEED FOR BOTH SKY AND ASTRA DISHES PLEASE? IF SOMEONE HAS SKY - CAN THEY USE ASTRA AS WELL?

WE HAVE A WORKING SKY BOX WHICH GETS THE MAIN CHANNELS, (ITV CHANNELS ARE ALWAYS 'LOST' IN THE EVENING!!) AND WE ARE CONNECTED TO THE COMMUNITY SKY DISH ON ANOTHER OWNERS' ROOF TERRACE .

THERE IS NO ASTRA DISH ON THE ROOF YET SOME OTHER OWNERS IN OUR COMMUNITY MAY PREFER TO HAVE AN ASTRA CONNECTION.

WHAT ARE THE IMPLICATIONS OF SITING MORE SATELLITE DISHES ON THE ROOF? DO WE NEED THE PERMISSION OF THE OWNER OF THE RELEVANT APARTMENT WHO OWNS THE ROOF TERRACE? WHAT LEGAL RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS ARE INVOLVED?
Sponsored Links
Old 14-09-2009, 10:29
Founder

Hi Glentobay,

welcome to the forum but please don't use CAPS - it's the online equivalent of SHOUTING & very difficult to read.

I'm sure someone may be able to answer general questions on satellite but for legal aspects you will need to discuss with the administrator for Belresguard as it will depend on community rules.
Old 14-09-2009, 22:34

Apologies to Founder - I did not realise I was shouting.
Old 27-09-2009, 18:12

Default Humax Box

I know this has been discussed before but I can't find the information I am looking for

I have an apartment in a community that has a dish

I inherited a sky box when we purchased but I don't subscribe so I only get a few channels and also reception is at best hit and miss with the BBC and ITV channels only being available va regional channels on high numbers right after the "adult" channels

We don't own the dish it is part of the community and I think it must be on the roof .... all I know is that there is a lead currently plugged into our old sky box that is connected to a dish somewhere

How do I know if the dish is an Astra or not and does it need to be a certain type of dish to make it work with a Humax Freesat because we have decided we would be better off with Freesat and have decided on a Humax box but we want to buy it in Majorca

Does anyone know if I can just plug any satalite into one and also where we can get one in Majorca ?

Last edited by pp ace; 27-09-2009 at 18:18.
Old 27-09-2009, 23:09

Smile Sat. T.V/Humax/Astra/Freesat

You need to talk to someone who really knows what he is talking about.

I have had some really bad experiences with suppliers in the Port.

I suggest that you contact Sean at Ocean T.V. in Palma.
971 609850.

My experience with this company has been extremely positive.
They only deal with sat. T.V. and have been really helpful to friends who didn't know what to buy.

I hope this is helpful.

Frito.
Old 28-09-2009, 18:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pp ace View Post
I know this has been discussed before but I can't find the information I am looking for

I have an apartment in a community that has a dish

I inherited a sky box when we purchased but I don't subscribe so I only get a few channels and also reception is at best hit and miss with the BBC and ITV channels only being available va regional channels on high numbers right after the "adult" channels

We don't own the dish it is part of the community and I think it must be on the roof .... all I know is that there is a lead currently plugged into our old sky box that is connected to a dish somewhere

How do I know if the dish is an Astra or not and does it need to be a certain type of dish to make it work with a Humax Freesat because we have decided we would be better off with Freesat and have decided on a Humax box but we want to buy it in Majorca

Does anyone know if I can just plug any satalite into one and also where we can get one in Majorca ?
We have a Humux box that we bought in the UK. It uses the same dish and satellite and so you can plug it straight in. All you do is put in your UK postcode so that it brings up your regional channels as a preference, although all the other regions are available. Reception is much better than with the Sky box but it is not so nice to use menu-wise. Mrs Alcanadakid hates it and so I have both boxes next to each other so we can swap between them. I am not sure whether Humux boxes are available in Mallorca
Old 28-09-2009, 21:15

Thanks I wll let you all know what I decide to do
Old 28-09-2009, 22:54

We had satellite installed in July and bought a Freesat box (not Humax although we have one of tjhose at home) from Confort. They tuned it in for us and it works perfectly. We paid 60 euros because it also takes a viewing card but later found out this is only for Spanish cards. They had one in, without card slot for 40 euros, same brand.
Old 04-06-2011, 19:24

Default Sky TV in the evening

Would anyone know why our reception for ITV suddenly starts to break up at about 8.30pm every evening. Presumably it's the way our (communal) dish is pointing????

Does anyone else have similar problems? Why doesn't it affect BBC?
Old 04-06-2011, 20:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham View Post
Would anyone know why our reception for ITV suddenly starts to break up at about 8.30pm every evening. Presumably it's the way our (communal) dish is pointing????

Does anyone else have similar problems? Why doesn't it affect BBC?
Its the weather switch to ITV on number 993 ITV London that always works for me same if BBC goes try the 974 and up Hope that helps
Old 04-06-2011, 23:11

Ours does it no matter what the weather! We switch to ITV Wales and BBC Wales for a better reception. No idea why!
Old 05-06-2011, 08:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
Ours does it no matter what the weather! We switch to ITV Wales and BBC Wales for a better reception. No idea why!
Its not just our weather could be in the region your card is registered in thats why if you switch to other region,s it usualy works ( so I was told)
Old 05-06-2011, 09:30

Have just remembered - we were told its all to do with the satallite placement, and whereas the London / Britain stations are perfect up until about 6pm, it then loses good reception, whereas Wales still has a clear route to Mallorca!! There again, I always was blinded by science so they could tell me anything!
Old 05-06-2011, 09:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
Have just remembered - we were told its all to do with the satallite placement, and whereas the London / Britain stations are perfect up until about 6pm, it then loses good reception, whereas Wales still has a clear route to Mallorca!! There again, I always was blinded by science so they could tell me anything!
LOL you and me both just happy to get a signal dont care how it gets here
Old 05-06-2011, 11:48

ryansclan posted regarding spanish cards - does anyone know if they are freesat cards (i.e a one off payment) as it would be a good way to learn more of the lingo!!