Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones

Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones Anything on telephones, mobiles, cybercafes, internet, post etc.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Roy&Myra
  • 1 Post By supamac
  • 1 Post By alcanadakid
  • 1 Post By alcanadakid
  • 2 Post By Mark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-07-2017, 17:34

Default Vpn

Can anyone recommend a VPN supplier?

Now that Filmon is no longer free except for the first 2 minutes, it becomes painful to watch.

We did use a VPN previously linked to a university, but regrettably it is no longer available. Once connected it worked well, so now is the time to invest in one privately.
Sponsored Links
Old 26-07-2017, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanadakid View Post
Can anyone recommend a VPN supplier?

Now that Filmon is no longer free except for the first 2 minutes, it becomes painful to watch.

We did use a VPN previously linked to a university, but regrettably it is no longer available. Once connected it worked well, so now is the time to invest in one privately.
Try mobdro
All tv sky movies all sport
English Spanish American
Plus many more.
Good luck enjoy
Gp1602 likes this.
Old 27-07-2017, 11:02

I can recommend AirVPN, which I have been using in Mallorca for almost a year now. It works very well. Their basic plan covers 3 devices, so you can have it on your phone, tablet, and computer. Most importantly, they do not monitor or collect activity logs, which many vpn providers do.
Old 27-07-2017, 16:17

ViewTVAbroad - £6.49 a month and no subscription commitment; you can turn on and off as you use it. I know several others on this product and all are content with it.
Roy&Myra likes this.
Old 28-07-2017, 11:02

Thanks everyone for your advice
Old 22-08-2017, 20:57

Whenever I am over in Mallorca, I use free website to watch British TV on my tablet and laptop.

With a good internet connection, the quality is very good.

TVCatchup - Channels

Good luck !
Old 23-08-2017, 09:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Simms View Post
Whenever I am over in Mallorca, I use free website to watch British TV on my tablet and laptop.

TVCatchup - Channels

Good luck !
Thanks Julian, I will try it when we are back next week
Lorenzo likes this.
Old 23-08-2017, 13:57

Quote:

TVCatchup - Channels

Good luck !
You will need a VPN to watch tvcatchup. You can try turbo VPN as a freebie but if you and to pay about £3 a month, Tunnel Bear is pretty good. Both are very simple to use.

If you want to pay a few pound a month without the VPN and pick up the UK channels as well as Sky, BT Sports, and loads of international channels etc, a good IPTV provider will work. Message me and I can give you details of a couple that are good. Can work out about between £7 and £12 a month depending on length of subscription and channels taken.
Old 23-08-2017, 19:25

MyExpatNet?
Old 25-08-2017, 13:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bircho View Post
You will need a VPN to watch tvcatchup. You can try turbo VPN as a freebie but if you and to pay about £3 a month, Tunnel Bear is pretty good. Both are very simple to use.

If you want to pay a few pound a month without the VPN and pick up the UK channels as well as Sky, BT Sports, and loads of international channels etc, a good IPTV provider will work. Message me and I can give you details of a couple that are good. Can work out about between £7 and £12 a month depending on length of subscription and channels taken.
What is a VPN ?. I am able to watch UK TV using TVcatchup wherever there is a good Wifi connection.
Old 26-08-2017, 10:06

Sorry you can watch basic BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 along with a handful of others (QVC??) on TV Catch Up. I was thinking about TVPlayer which you cannot see outside of UK without a VPN.
Old 26-08-2017, 10:07

Quote:
What is a VPN ?. I am able to watch UK TV using TVcatchup wherever there is a good Wifi connection.
VPN is a "virtual private network". Basically it is an interface between your PC and the internet. The big advantage is that it either disguises your country where you are, or you can select which country you want to be in. BBC won't broadcast to overseas countries, but if you go through a VPN it doesnt know you are overseas. This is the same with Sky Go and Amazon. It sounds good but normally there is a fee for decent ones, and you need to remember that when it is on, all your transactions go through it - so if you are banking then the details will go through this third party, which might be a concern. I have also read that Netflix might not work with some VPNs

I will try TV catchup when we are out next week
Julian Simms likes this.
Old 26-08-2017, 12:56

wikipedia page that also helps explain it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network

certainly risky to use a third party VPN for anything other than watching TV as all traffic goes through it such as emails and logging in to websites etc.

a good link:
https://restoreprivacy.com/free-vpns/

The safest way if you have a fast internet connection at home in England is to set up your own VPN.

fairly easy for anyone IT competent to set up.

All you need is a business class router in England at home that support VPN ' remote workers' or ' dial in workers' then your laptop or tablet can be set up to connect to your home network over a VPN connection which can be thought of as an encrypted tunnel or pipe that you send data through over the internet back to your house in England.

Draytek are a good brand of router, can be a challenge to set up but work perfectly and you are connected to your home network once set up.

Also much safer when using wifi in pubs or airports etc.

looking at the diagram on wikipedia as an example your house in England becomes 'Head office' and your laptop or computer in your holiday apartment becomes a remote worker/roaming user that connects to your own head office and accesses the internet from that connection.
Much safer than sending your data through some random service that may or may not capture your data or passwords.
alcanadakid and Julian Simms like this.
Old 26-08-2017, 19:08

Thanks for that information.

The idea of a private VPN is an interesting one.